Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition  (Read 40439 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition
« Reply #50: February 24, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »
Terp - I ride a stock 2003(?) Trek 4300 that you should be able to find used on eBay or Craigslist for around $200 (I think new they're around $400).  The only major change you'll need to make to any used bike you get is to replace the left crank arm (~$20) and make sure the wheels are trued (~$20 at a local bike shop).  There are a number of similar bikes made by GT, Fuji, Specialized, and Cannondale but what you'd really want to get is something that's heavy steel. 

I put my bike through a lot of stress and strain (fast, heavy riding on less than smooth roads) and haven't had any issues yet but I ride a low-end converted mountain bike.  I'd steer clear of a Discount Store bike (i.e. Walmart, Target) due to your size, but they'd be fine for your kid; used is definitely the way to go for you though.  If you want to go the used route let me know and I can send you some bikes to check out.  By the way, check your PM inbox.  :)

Got the PM man! Yeah, we have one bike shop around here and I honestly haven't been in there since I was a teenager. I know they used to carry Schwinn back in the day, before they became a second rate WalMart brand. I'll have to check out Craigslist and ebay. I should be down about 75lbs by fall if all goes well.