Author Topic: Davey Johnson "The Face of the Nationals"  (Read 1160 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Davey Johnson "The Face of the Nationals"
« Topic Start: September 17, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
A good article written by some guy at ESPN about Davey Johnson, his career, and what he has done with the Nationals.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8383480/davey-johnson-brings-lifetime-baseball-wisdom-washington-nationals

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Davey Johnson "The Face of the Nationals"
« Reply #1: September 17, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »
Thanks  ...  I enjoyed it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: September 17, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
A good article written by some guy at ESPN about Davey Johnson, his career, and what he has done with the Nationals.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8383480/davey-johnson-brings-lifetime-baseball-wisdom-washington-nationals

:gunz:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #3: September 17, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »
What an article! Thanks :) makes me like Davey even more... if I could even do that.

When he was a young second baseman for the Orioles, he would tell pitchers like Jim Palmer and Dave McNally that they were in an "unfavorable chance deviation," and as such, they were better off throwing for the heart of the plate rather than the corners because the ball would hit the corner anyway. Which is how he earned the name "Dum Dum." Similarly, he would offer Earl Weaver printouts entitled "Optimize the Orioles Lineup," proving that Johnson should bat fourth, and "Earl would throw them in the garbage."

:lol: love it!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #4: September 17, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »
LOL that's great

Offline Fan037

« Reply #5: September 17, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »
Davey's a character and I like him!!  Great article.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: September 17, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
Hiring Davey Johnson as manager is one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #7: September 17, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Great article. Been a big fan of Davey since I lived in NYC in the mid-80s when he managed the Mets. Saw about 50 games from '84-87.

What a cast of characters that he managed to the WS ring in 1986

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #8: September 17, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Wow!  Cool!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #9: September 17, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
Great article!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #10: September 18, 2012, 07:16:37 AM »

"Some author"? You've never heard of Steve Wulf? Do you play fantasy sports? He was one of fantasy baseball's creators.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: September 18, 2012, 08:02:29 AM »
Hiring Davey Johnson as manager is one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise.

Probably never would have happened without the Riggleman meltdown.  So you have to list that as well among the best things.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #12: September 18, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »
"Some author"? You've never heard of Steve Wulf? Do you play fantasy sports? He was one of fantasy baseball's creators.

Nah I couldn't care for any writer on ESPN.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #13: September 18, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
Great article. Been a big fan of Davey since I lived in NYC in the mid-80s when he managed the Mets. Saw about 50 games from '84-87.

What a cast of characters that he managed to the WS ring in 1986

That is a once in a lifetime experience. I envy you. 86 Mets I love hearing about them and that whole era. Read several books on them and really liked them since the RBI Baseball Nintendo game days.

I could listen to stories you have from that era forever.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #14: September 18, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
"so I take one of my roommates, Darold Knowles,..."

The celebrity references in this article are amazing, but this one is my favorite.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: September 18, 2012, 04:45:19 PM »
"so I take one of my roommates, Darold Knowles,..."

The celebrity references in this article are amazing, but this one is my favorite.

A few years ago he was still coaching down in Florida.  I exchanged emails with a back office admin for the team, to settle a question raised on I think the MLB board (though could have been here, not sure).  Someone remembered Nats players working in the offseason in schools as substitute teachers to make a few extra $ (SAC) and that Darold was one of them, in a PG County School. 

Through the staffer he confirmed to me that he had worked in schools several offseasons as had other players, but he could not remember what schools or where they were.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: September 18, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
  Someone remembered Nats players working in the offseason in schools as substitute teachers to make a few extra $ (SAC) and that Darold was one of them, in a PG County School. 
I don't remember anything about him working as a teacher but I do remember that he was in the National Guard (or equivalent, avoiding the Viet Nam war, like the rest of us) and missed a big part of the beginning of the 1969 season. So it was with great anticipation that he returned, late May, and on his first encounter with new manager, Ted Williams, Williams first question to Knowles was "does a curve ball really curve" and Knowles answer was "they told me that you would ask dumb questions like that".  True story (I remember reading  it in the Post the next day).