Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 62519 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #50: June 19, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
Cygwin update - I have Virtualbox running on my old souped-up laptop, with an ssh server and I got the port opened so not only can I ssh into my guest OS, I can ssh in from other machines on my network as well. So I'm building a mini cluster with all the machines I have lying around and I run all kinds of crap and play music off my other machine and use my netbook like an Xterminal. This pretty much kicks ass and really expands my productivity.

Question - how I do I keep my machines INACESSIBLE from the outside - does the ISP close the SSH port by default? Do I need to go into my router setup? Does windows 7 firewall handle that?

One more problem with windows 7 starter is that you can't move the taskbar :bang:

Also OneNote7 is so useful and totally replaces Acrobat professional just as a side usage.
Check out ShieldsUP!.  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

You can do a scan on the first 1056 ports, a specific port, or the most common ports to see if they are stealthed, closed, or open.  My home computers show all of them stealthed, even when I WANTED to have port 22 open on one machine to SSH into from work.