Author Topic: BA: Bryce Harper vs. Justin Upton  (Read 1340 times)

Offline hammondsnats

BA: Bryce Harper vs. Justin Upton
« Topic Start: July 17, 2009, 03:44:31 PM »
Justin Upton and Bryce Harper both were head and shoulders above the rest of their high school class. Who was the better prospect if you match them up head to head?

Marc Downie
Burnsville, Minn.
It's close, but I'd go with Harper. At the same stage of their careers, they had comparable hitting ability but Harper has more power. That's saying something, because Upton had well above-average power.

Upton clearly was the better runner and athlete, though Harper currently has average speed, and he runs well and has good athleticism for a catcher. He has a tick more arm strength than Upton had, and he has more defensive value. Harper will be able to stay behind the plate, while Upton's erratic throwing led many scouts to project (correctly) that he'd have to move off shortstop.

Upton went first overall in the 2005 draft and signed for a then-record $6.1 million bonus. Harper plans to leave high school after two years and attend the CC of Southern Nevada, making him the early favorite to go No. 1 overall next June. He has a chance to receive the most lucrative deal ever for a draftee, though Stephen Strasburg is going to raise that bar this summer.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2009/268554.html

Just thought I'd share this with the rest of the class, seeing how we're in line for Harper. 

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
Re: BA: Bryce Harper vs. Justin Upton
« Reply #1: July 17, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »
Signing Strasburg and Harper back to back would be HUGE for this team.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #2: July 17, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »

The thought of that battery makes me happy.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: July 17, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
The thought of that battery makes me happy.

yeah but harper may be moved to another position.  last weekend at the bar a few friends and i were trying to predict the major league line-up in like 3-4 years if all our prospects panned out ... i think it was something like this:

SS Desmond / Espinosa
2B Kobernus / FA
3B Zimmerman
LF Harper (if they move him)
RF Burgess
CF Hood (could play LF if pans out and if Harper isn't moved to OF)
1B Marrero
C Flores/Norris

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: July 18, 2009, 02:31:31 AM »

Redecorating this freaking organization would be huge for this team.