Author Topic: Detwiler's Struggles  (Read 4614 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Detwiler's Struggles
« Topic Start: August 08, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
Detwiler hasn't been progressing as quickly as many people had hoped.  He has struggled with getting batters out when he needs to, but has also had some control issues (like a 7 walk game against Myrtle).  The coaches believe that part of the problem is that Detwiler is putting too much pressure on himself, that he is letting situations get to him too much, rather than approaching the game a batter at a time.

As I have mentioned before, he has proven that he can induce some ground outs (1.48 GO/AO).  He has also shown that he is capable to striking batters out like the scouts declared he would be able to, he has struck out at least 6 batters in 3 of his last 5.  Another telling stat is the amount of HRs he has let up, 7 in 103 IP, putting him at about .61 HR for every 9 IP. 

Detwiler has been working on his mechanics this season with coach Randy Tomlin at Potomac.  Part of his problem is he starts getting sloppy with his delivery (arm flails across his body after release) and this is when his troubles start in game situations.  I think once he gets the control of his fastball down, the other parts should start to fall in place.  Apparently, he has some nice movement on his fastball and breaking ball.  Personally, while Detwiler has struggled, I still think he has the potential to be a good major league pitcher.

Randy Knorr/Potomac Nationals Manager:"I think his expectations of himself and what others think of him have slowed his progress up to this point. I think he's worrying about impressing other guys too much rather than just going out there, learning about himself, and being the pitcher he's capable of being."

Detwiler:"I think it boosted my confidence and it added pressure…and you know it really goes to show that, you know, I can compete at that level…it's just I have to fine-tune some skills, you know, to be back up there every day."

Detwiler has made the professional transition since being at Missouri State, and those who watched him regularly in college may notice a difference.

Detwiler:"I throw a lot of fastballs now… I don't really use my breaking…breaking stuff much because you try to establish yourself with your fastball and work ahead that way."
http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=44171

The Nationals' 2007 first-round pick in the First-Year Player Draft, Ross Detwiler, made the short trip from Class A Potomac to D.C. last week to work a bullpen session with pitching coach Randy St. Claire. The veteran Major League pitching coach liked what he saw.

St. Claire said Detwiler has "a great arm" and impressive pitches. The Nationals pitching coach likes the sink Detwiler puts on his fastball, the "tight spin" on his breaking ball and his curveball.

"He's got the stuff to be, I think, a very good pitcher at the Major League level," St. Claire said. "He's just got to put it together, where he becomes consistent with each and every pitch. To be successful at this level, 80 percent of your pitches have got to go where you want them to go. Until he gets that down ... he's got a lot of learning to do, but he's got the ability and I think potential to be here and be a very good starter."

The Missouri State product attributed the greatest part of his success to an adjustment he made with Potomac pitching coach Randy Tomlin to straighten up his delivery. He said his struggles have come when he starts throwing across his body, causing him to lose control at times.
http://minorsupdate.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/08/st_claire_impressed_with_detwi.html

A look at Detwiler's mechanics following the 2007 Draft:
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/breaking-down-the-drafts-1st-round-picks-1-10/

Offline d_mc_nabb

Re: Detwiler's Struggles
« Reply #1: August 08, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »
This explains a lot, though ihadn't lost faith in him yet.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #2: August 08, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
Wow maybe he isn't a bust.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: August 08, 2008, 11:37:54 PM »
calling him a bust at this point was foolish anyways, so I'm glad to hear he's doing well.

Offline PC

« Reply #4: August 12, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »
I was just reading an article about something completely unrelated to baseball. One of the people interviewed in the article was named Detwiler so Ross immediately came to mind.

I hadn't seen this thread was was going to start one wondering what was wrong with him.  I did a quick search for his stats this season and he's noticed that he'd had a DREADFUL year.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #5: August 18, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
In Detwiler's last 5 games, he has maintained an ERA of 3.33 and a WHIP of 1.37.  Detwiler is inducing more ground balls than he was last year and the amount of HRs he has let up this season is on par with what he did with GCL Nationals and Potomac in 2007 (HR/9: 2007 - 0.54 vs. 2008 - 0.56).  Tonight's outing was the first scoreless outing that he had since July 9th.  Best case scenario for Detwiler would be to finish off the season with a strong showing in the playoffs.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #6: August 18, 2008, 10:49:11 PM »
I definitely want to go to one of the playoff games he pitches in. Should be fun to watch. Getting to see Burgess and a few of the others (Lyons, King, etc.) would be cool too.

I think Ross will have a big year next year and be close to the Majors by the end of '09.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #7: August 19, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
Good to hear Detwiler is staying positive and trying to progress

Offline natsdad

« Reply #8: August 19, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
So, there really is more to minor league baseball than just wins, losses, era, K's and BB's.
It's called player development for a reason.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #9: August 19, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »
Yeah I don't understand how some on here have already labeled him a bust.  Obviously he didn't start the season as well we we'd like him to, but he's been darn good down the stretch.  Here's to him continuing to progress!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #10: August 19, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
Yeah I don't understand how some on here have already labeled him a bust.  Obviously he didn't start the season as well we we'd like him to, but he's been darn good down the stretch.  Here's to him continuing to progress!

I hope this isn't the same as people saying that Schneider calls a "darn good" game.   :rofl:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #11: August 19, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »
In Detwiler's last 5 games, he has maintained an ERA of 3.33 and a WHIP of 1.37.  Detwiler is inducing more ground balls than he was last year and the amount of HRs he has let up this season is on par with what he did with GCL Nationals and Potomac in 2007 (HR/9: 2007 - 0.54 vs. 2008 - 0.56). 

SpiderNat how is that not darn good? 

Bri Schnei calls a good game, but not darn good by any means.  8)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #12: August 19, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »
SpiderNat how is that not darn good? 

Bri Schnei calls a good game, but not darn good by any means.  8)

Dude, it was a joke about the idiots that couldn't stand the fact that we traded Schneider to get Milledge.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: August 19, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
Dude, it was a joke about the idiots that couldn't stand the fact that we traded Schneider to get Milledge.
What?  We also got Paulie Walnuts to replace Schneider.  How could people be dissatisfied with that?

He calls a damn good game...

...from the announcer booth.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #14: August 20, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
Currently, Detwiler is on track to make starts on the 24th and 29th of August.  That would mean he would have exactly four days of rest before the first playoff game on the 3rd of September.  This would allow the P-Nats to continue pitching Detwiler without getting him out of his rhythm.  I don't know who they would use for the second game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #15: August 20, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
Arnesen or Mandel probably.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #16: August 20, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »
Detwiler is gonna be a good pitcher in the bigs but with the new mechanics his development will be slowed but in the end it will help.

Offline Sniper 1

« Reply #17: August 21, 2008, 09:07:13 AM »
In his last four starts Detwiler has an ERA of 2.42.  Encouraging, huh?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #18: August 21, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
In his last four starts Detwiler has an ERA of 2.42.  Encouraging, huh?

Indeed. IMO, work with him a lot in the offseason, and next year send him to AA to start the year, AAA around June/July, and if all is going well, a September call-up to the bigs.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #19: August 21, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
Indeed. IMO, work with him a lot in the offseason, and next year send him to AA to start the year, AAA around June/July, and if all is going well, a September call-up to the bigs.
I think we should do one level per year with Detwiler, unless he is dominating.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #20: August 21, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »
You mean we gave him that FAT signing bonus and he didn't IMMEDIATELY turn us into contenders???  SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

Offline blue911

« Reply #21: August 21, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »
You mean we gave him that FAT signing bonus and he didn't IMMEDIATELY turn us into contenders???  SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

Yep. Who ever heard of a tall,hard-throwing lefty having control problems? Detwiler is probably the first ever.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #22: August 21, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »
Yep. Who ever heard of a tall,hard-throwing lefty having control problems? Detwiler is probably the first ever.

You lost me.  Was that sarcasm to my sarcasm?  I'm a little behind the curve today.

Offline blue911

« Reply #23: August 21, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
You lost me.  Was that sarcasm to my sarcasm?  I'm a little behind the curve today.

More sardonic than sarcastic.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: August 21, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
More sardonic than sarcastic.

Well yes, pardon my dictionary flub.  My point was that I didn't know if you were making fun of me, or someone else.  I was making fun of the Pro-Crow/Anti-Lerner camp.