Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61165 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #125: November 08, 2010, 12:28:55 PM »
On a manufacture's disk, really? I guess it's been a long time since I owned a non mac

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #126: November 08, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
On a manufacture's disk, really? I guess it's been a long time since I owned a non mac

Actually you may have a point there, didn't think of that.  I was just assuming he had a standard XP install disc.  If it's a restore disc then he should be fine.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #127: November 08, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
My brain hurts.....

When I get home I'll get the disc out and see what it says.  My wife took the laptop to a place to have it wiped clean so at least we'll be starting from scratch.  Plus, we now need to figure out a way to get it online since it didn't come with a built-in wireless adapter.   :?

I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff.....

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #128: November 08, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
It took 2 hours to upgrade, or you've been using it for 2 hours?  It's a big change from '03 and earlier but honestly once you've used it for a while you just realize how much better it is.  Same thing goes for the new taskbar in Win7.  Give it a chance.

Two hours to upgrade from Office 07 to 10.  Did basic windows updates and then today had to do a system restore to get my laptop to start.  I'm hoping the Windows 7 upgrade goes much more smoothly.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #129: November 08, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »
My brain hurts.....

When I get home I'll get the disc out and see what it says.  My wife took the laptop to a place to have it wiped clean so at least we'll be starting from scratch.  Plus, we now need to figure out a way to get it online since it didn't come with a built-in wireless adapter.   :?

I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff.....

Aw, I wish you had posted before paying to have it wiped clean. That's the easiest thing to do.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #130: November 08, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
Minty, if you want to try linux but don't want to / know how to burn the discs, Ubuntu (a "distribution" of linux) as well as Xubuntu (Ubuntu based but better for older and slower hardware) offer discs that they will mail to you, free of charge.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #131: November 08, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
Something is wrong with the paging file, it's the same 17 damn updates that aren't installing properly.  And by something I think it's that the hard drive is full :-[

Minty, do you know how to burn a cd image to a CD? Vista and 7 can handle them without software, I believe. Anyway, if so, go to www.ubuntu.com and just download the netbook edition. You can boot off the CD and your kid can go to lego.com or whatever, and you won't ever actually use the hard drive, so previous adware and such won't run and he won't be able to do anything permanent to the machine.

Something is wrong with one of the updates methinks, I've been installing them one by one instead :hurr:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #132: November 08, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised.  I've bumped into fubared updates in XP from time to time.  There's usually a KB article about it someplace if you google the update #.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #133: November 08, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
Awesome, because of this foul up, no security updates since early October! :woop:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #134: November 09, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
really not liking winmo 6.1

I heard you can install Android on the HTC Touch Diamond, I'm looking into that to see if I can do it myself without bricking my phone.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #135: November 09, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
Winmo7 or bust.  Even I have never cared for the previous versions.  Then again the hardware for most of them was crap, too.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #136: November 09, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »
Winmo7 or bust.  Even I have never cared for the previous versions.  Then again the hardware for most of them was crap, too.

yeah but apparently, i can't get winmo7 on this phone.

if i manage to get android 2.1 or 2.2 running fully on this phone though, i'll be pretty satisfied.

the phone itself isn't bad. the operating system is buggy as crap.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #137: November 09, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
Yeah Winmo7 is a "reboot".  They're basically taking a page from the Apple playbook.

Let me know if you get Android running on it, I'd be really impressed with HTC.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #138: November 09, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
Moved Android discussion to the Linux thread:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,16592.msg656549.html#msg656549

Offline The Chief

« Reply #139: November 11, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »
After messing with an HTC HD7 in store, there's no question in my mind that IE for Win7 Phone is now the best non-iphone first-party browser in the mobile market.  I might even go so far as to say it ties the iPhone browser for first.  It pretty much looks and behaves just like it, with a few nice little additions.

The rest of the phone/OS seems pretty good, too, but I didn't really mess with it overmuch.  Touch, panning, and zooming are all much more smooth and responsive than any android phone I've used.  Web browser is the only thing that really matters to me, though.

Still, with both the handset and comparable plans costing about the same, I'd probably still go with an iPhone by default.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #140: November 11, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
After messing with an HTC HD7 in store, there's no question in my mind that IE for Win7 Phone is now the best non-iphone first-party browser in the mobile market.  I might even go so far as to say it ties the iPhone browser for first.  It pretty much looks and behaves just like it, with a few nice little additions.

The rest of the phone/OS seems pretty good, too, but I didn't really mess with it overmuch.  Web browser is the only thing that matters to me anyway.

Still, with both the handset and comparable plans costing about the same, I'd probably still go with an iPhone by default.
Unless it goes to Sprint where you can pay $70 a month for unlimited everything except for daytime minutes, which, for me, 450 is about 425 too many anyway.

I'd like to see a WP7 phone.  The browser is always the one thing that worries me about any phone other than an iPhone.  Mobile Safari works extremely well, other than the lack of flash.  But really, the only reason I would want flash on my phone is for videos.  Hopefully HTML5 takes care of that soon.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #141: November 11, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »
Unless it goes to Sprint where you can pay $70 a month for unlimited everything except for daytime minutes, which, for me, 450 is about 425 too many anyway.

I'd like to see a WP7 phone.  The browser is always the one thing that worries me about any phone other than an iPhone.  Mobile Safari works extremely well, other than the lack of flash.  But really, the only reason I would want flash on my phone is for videos.  Hopefully HTML5 takes care of that soon.

Virgin Mobile is now $25 for unlimited everything but talk. Too bad I just reupped for 2 years with AT&T.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #142: November 11, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »

Virgin Mobile is now $25 for unlimited everything but talk. Too bad I just reupped for 2 years with AT&T.
So did I.  I really should have went with a family plan with my parents and sister, I didn't know you didn't have to live in the same household.  It would have saved us a lot of money.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #143: November 11, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »

Do what? :shock:

Could you use a Tmo/AT&T phone with virgin mobile service?

Personally I don't see what the big damn deal with offering data-only plans is anyway.  No carrier seems to want to do it.  Which to me says that they've probably determined that it would somehow cost them a lot of money.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #144: November 11, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »

It's on the Sprint network, sorry. Still a sick deal.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #145: November 11, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »

Personally I don't see what the big damn deal with offering data-only plans is anyway.  No carrier seems to want to do it.  Which to me says that they've probably determined that it would somehow cost them a lot of money.
I have the cheapest available voice plan on my iPhone, which is $40/mo.  It's 450 anytime, 5000 nights and weekends, and unlimited mobile to mobile.  Plus the 450 minutes rollover any unused for up to a year.  This month I've used all of 1 minute of my anytime allowance, and have like 5,000 minutes in my rollover allowance.  But I have used 1.5 GB of data and 300 text messages so far.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #146: November 11, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
Virgin Mobile Broadband is $40 a month unlimited 3G, no contract.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #147: November 11, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »
I have the cheapest available voice plan on my iPhone, which is $40/mo.  It's 450 anytime, 5000 nights and weekends, and unlimited mobile to mobile.  Plus the 450 minutes rollover any unused for up to a year.  This month I've used all of 1 minute of my anytime allowance, and have like 5,000 minutes in my rollover allowance.  But I have used 1.5 GB of data and 300 text messages so far.

Right but you pay on top of that for data.  I would love to have an iphone or win7 phone but i do so little actual talking that paying the bill for one just isn't worth it to me.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #148: November 11, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
Virgin Mobile Broadband is $40 a month unlimited 3G, no contract.

Huh?  I thought you just said it was $25 unlimited everything except voice? :|

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #149: November 11, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »
Huh?  I thought you just said it was $25 unlimited everything except voice? :|

25 bucks on your phone, 40 on your laptop.