Author Topic: Your Favorite Autograph Stories  (Read 1823 times)

DelNatsFan

Your Favorite Autograph Stories
« Topic Start: July 11, 2005, 08:21:03 PM »
Let's try another one. Let's hear you favorite autograph/ interaction with a player stories. We'll open this one up to all-sports not just Baseball. I'll post mine in a bit.

Montcobaseball

« Reply #1: July 12, 2005, 07:31:39 AM »
I have two and I will post the first one now.  Obviously this was a long time ago.  I was old enough to be able to go to Griffith Stadium by myself.  In those days you could go almost anywhere in the stadium without being questioned.  Even onto the field during a Redskins game if you were slick enough.  Well if you hung around the stadium long enough you knew that the visitors bullpen didn't have a bathroom and the pitchers would have to use a public bathroom under the left field stands.  So one day I see Ryne Duran, a fearsome Yankee reliever, go into the bathroom, and when he came out I tried to hand my autograph book to him and he took it and yelled "Get the hell out of here kid" and threw the book across the pavement.

DelNatsFan

« Reply #2: July 12, 2005, 12:43:13 PM »
When my dad took me to my first ever game at Yankee Stadium in June of '77, it was Sparky Lyle who got the save that day. His was also my first Yankee Baseball card so he was was my first  favorite player.
  Flash forward to the summer of '04. I was watching CN8 and Steve Adubato was doing a week on minor league ball. He was interviewing Sparky, who manages the Somerset Patriots in the independent Atlantic League,  and they were talking about the Patriots and about signing for the fans. After the show I looked up the Patriots online and even thought of  traveling up to North Jersey, but then I realized that they play the Camden Riversharks which are just up the road. Got tickets for the Partiots' next visit.

I waited at the game with a few other folks for sparky to come over. He went in and took care of dugout business and then finally came over to sign for us. When he got to me,I told him all about how he save my first MLB game and he got a real kick out of it. I was gushing like a kid as he signed  a ball on the sweet spot and my copy of  The Bronx Zoo.

What a Great Trip!!!!