Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158347 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2675: May 06, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
OK, you might need two then

18 beers has lasted me and my friend about a month. Just don't drink that much.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2676: May 06, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
In the mood for something light. Like Sam Adams Alpine Spring or something like that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2677: May 06, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »
So true and not just because if the alcohol content. They have more flavor that lingers in your mouth so you don't need to take another sip right away. Saw on 60 minutes where the goal of these artificial flavor chemists develop flavors that leave your mouth right away and your natural tendency is to reload when that happens.

An astute observation.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2678: May 06, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »
I enjoyed Sam Adams "IPL" in a bottle the other night.  It basically has a bunch of hops in a lager rather than an ale.  Not to sound like a beer ad, but it had the grape-like flavor they were aiming for (they also mention various citrus which might have been there but I could not pick out).

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2679: May 06, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Top Ten Stadiums for Craft Beer

All of the ballparks on this list have an impressive list of beers to serve to their fans, but Safeco definitely takes the cake. The ballpark is actually known nationally for its reputation as a good place to watch baseball and drink good beer. They feature both locals and national breweries — and there’s a long list of them, including Alaskan Brewing, Big Sky Brewery, Boulevard Brewing, BridgePort Brewing, Deschutes Brewing, Diamond Knot Craft Brewing, Dick’s Brewing, Elysian Brewing, Firestone Walker, Fremont Brewing, Full Sail Brewing, Harmon Brewing, Mac & Jack’s Brewery, Georgetown Brewing, New Belgium Brewery, Ninkasi Brewing, Pyramid Brewing, Red Hook, Sierra Nevada, Skagit River Brewery, Snoqualmie Falls Brewing, and Widmer Brothers. Phew — take a breath!

Holy crap.

Also: Citi Field serves Ommegang? How expensive must that be!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2680: May 06, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
We need to get onto that list.  The unicorn sighting of Dogfish 120 in the Loft should not have been an anomaly!

Holy crap.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2681: May 06, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »
Flying Dog brews some nice suds that should be on tap. They have it in bottles but it isn't the same.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2682: May 06, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
It may only depend of the type of contract Nats owners sign and making sure there are no exclusivity clauses

Holy crap.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2683: May 06, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
We need to get onto that list.  The unicorn sighting of Dogfish 120 in the Loft should not have been an anomaly!

They had 120 in the Loft? How much was that per beer? I know the 12oz bottle at the store is around $10, $20 if you get it at the Dogfish Alehouses.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2684: May 06, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
Terp was the lucky guy who happened to be around that day.  My understanding is that they ordered the wrong keg.   

But really they should always have 90 on tap throughout the stadium, and they should also have 120 in a special area where enemy fans are not allowed. 

They had 120 in the Loft? How much was that per beer? I know the 12oz bottle at the store is around $10, $20 if you get it at the Dogfish Alehouses.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2685: May 06, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
bought one of these fellas last weekend

(Image removed from quote.)

Bought one a half hour ago

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2686: May 06, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
I enjoyed Sam Adams "IPL" in a bottle the other night.  It basically has a bunch of hops in a lager rather than an ale.  Not to sound like a beer ad, but it had the grape-like flavor they were aiming for (they also mention various citrus which might have been there but I could not pick out).

So I'm not crazy for thinking stella tastes like grapes (slightly)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2687: May 06, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
Terp was the lucky guy who happened to be around that day.  My understanding is that they ordered the wrong keg.   

But really they should always have 90 on tap throughout the stadium, and they should also have 120 in a special area where enemy fans are not allowed.

When Fat Tire first came out in cans the 7 Day store on base mis-labeled them. For about a month and a half I was getting my daily fix of Fat Tire for $5.12 or so. Not bad for a 12 pack of craft beer. Sadly, they eventually caught on and relabeled it correctly at 15.99 (Same as the bottles.)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2688: May 06, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
Yeah, that was a couple years ago (2009-2010) at the store on base. They typically had better prices than out in town. This was also in San Diego (Miramar)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2689: May 06, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »
Terp was the lucky guy who happened to be around that day. 

It's not luck, you've got to play to win.    :lol:

Not that I mind the growing legend, but to be perfectly honest it was 90 minute IPA (shipped in error when it was 60 they meant to serve). 

And it was the Red Porch bar, not the Loft, where at the time they were serving nothing better than Miller swill.

The 120 minute has to be "imported" powerboater style.    :twisted:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2690: May 06, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »
We had those as well - 90 minute should be there regularly

Not that I mind the growing legend, but to be perfectly honest it was 90 minute IPA (shipped in error when it was 60 they meant to serve). 

And it was the Red Porch bar, not the Loft, where at the time they were serving nothing better than Miller swill.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2691: May 06, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
Was in Pittsburgh over the weekend (PNC Park).    There was a local micro brewery offering.   I was too afraid to try them.    I was raised on Ohio River water and it wasn't pretty.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2692: May 06, 2013, 10:02:24 PM »
We had those as well - 90 minute should be there regularly

60 minute is there regularly, 90 minute has only been there once to my knowledge.

I asked the bartender (Karen?) opening day this year and she confirmed my account of it being only the one keg on that one opening day 'bout 3 years ago.  Complained that people were STILL coming in and asking for it.  Well duh....

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2693: May 07, 2013, 12:33:37 AM »
60 minute is there regularly, 90 minute has only been there once to my knowledge.

I asked the bartender (Karen?) opening day this year and she confirmed my account of it being only the one keg on that one opening day 'bout 3 years ago.  Complained that people were STILL coming in and asking for it.  Well duh....

I was going to say, at 18% abv, you wouldn't need many 120s. Even jumping from 60 to 90 could be significant if you drank enough over seven innings. You figure for every two 90's you drink it's the alcohol equivalent of 3 60s.

At least they have it on draft though. My one experience at Camden Yards was that they had 60, but it was in bottles.

Offline axman

« Reply #2694: May 18, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
I'm out in San Diego for the road trip, and am simply bowled over by the wide availability and excellent selection of beer at Petco Park.  Inside the park there are a couple of stands that focus on SD-area beer from Mission, Karl Strauss, Coronado, Ballast Point., and some carts with Kona, Widmer, and others.  In fact, good beer locations seemed to outnumber spots for lesser beer.  And as a bonus, the Mission Brewery tasting room is just across the parking lot from the stadium.

I sure wish Nats Park could get its act together--with the quality we have in the DMV, they could do far better.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2695: May 18, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »
I'm out in San Diego for the road trip, and am simply bowled over by the wide availability and excellent selection of beer at Petco Park.  Inside the park there are a couple of stands that focus on SD-area beer from Mission, Karl Strauss, Coronado, Ballast Point., and some carts with Kona, Widmer, and others.  In fact, good beer locations seemed to outnumber spots for lesser beer.  And as a bonus, the Mission Brewery tasting room is just across the parking lot from the stadium.

I sure wish Nats Park could get its act together--with the quality we have in the DMV, they could do far better.

California is full of people who want to be seen "drinking the right beer" It's weird and very hipsterish. Everytime someone gives me a smug look and tells me that their favorite craft beer is Blue Moon I want to choke slam their mother.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2696: May 18, 2013, 06:00:10 AM »
Why Blue Moon ?

California is full of people who want to be seen "drinking the right beer" It's weird and very hipsterish. Everytime someone gives me a smug look and tells me that their favorite craft beer is Blue Moon I want to choke slam their mother.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2697: May 18, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
Why Blue Moon ?

Blue Moon is OK, but it's not a craft beer. It's made by Miller. Or Coors....

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2698: May 18, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Had some goose island last night,  it looks like they brought some people from anheuser,  went from great beer to crap pretty fast  :(

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2699: May 18, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »

Sitting at Dogfishhead right now drinking a Sierra Nevada Torpedo I brought in.

Just kidding, I got the 60 minute.