Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition  (Read 41398 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition
« Reply #850: August 03, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
Regarding belt drives, I'm not sure what to think of them. They require a special frame (with the rear dropout opening in the back). Plus you'll have to go with an internally geared rear hub, and no crank gearing.

That was my breakthrough - as much as I'm a fan, I'm not actually IN the TdF.  No one will boo me if I get off and walk or alter my route when I'm gassed.  As soon as I came to terms with that, I started riding at least 3-4 times a week (14 miles round trip).  And the funny thing is - I never actually get off and walk.  As soon as I realized I COULD, I didn't need to.  Now that I've been doing it a while, I don't really even think about walking - I like the work of it.

Funny thing, the mind.

Separate question:  What do you all think of belt drives?  I've mangled my derailleur once and ripped my chain apart once both on that damn hill, so I'm seriously wondering about a belt drive both for the reliability and so I can keep riding as the weather starts to get bad.  I've got a 3x8 gear now, but I pretty much never use the granny gears.  Effectively, I'm riding it like an old-school 10-speed anyway.