Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition  (Read 40726 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: The Cycling Thread - 2012 Edition
« Reply #725: July 09, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
I guess you could also take the bike on the metro (before 7:00 or after 10:30 or so) and just ride home.  I do that a lot in the summer since my office doesn't have a shower.  Sometimes I just don't care and ride anyways and then stink like a skunk all day. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #726: July 09, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
I guess you could also take the bike on the metro (before 7:00 or after 10:30 or so) and just ride home.  I do that a lot in the summer since my office doesn't have a shower.  Sometimes I just don't care and ride anyways and then stink like a skunk all day. 

I might do the opposite of that. Bicycle to work and then ride Metro home.

Is there a rule about bringing bikes on Metro? Something tells me during  rush hour, CC gets kind of packed. But I would be going up to Rosylnn

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #727: July 09, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
You can't bring bikes on in the morning and not in the evening until after 7pm.

Online Slateman

« Reply #728: July 09, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Well then nevermind

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #729: July 09, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
You can in the morning before 7 am or after 10 or 10:30...I do it a fair bit.  I have a reverse commute (downtown to burbs) so the cars aren't very crowded...could be a different scenario before 7 am inbound on the orange line.

You can't bring bikes on in the morning and not in the evening until after 7pm.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #730: July 09, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Huh, I thought I read on the WMATA page it was no go before 10am.  Oh well, don't matter to me I'm the wheelz of steelz until I die.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #731: July 09, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »

Lance Armstrong asks federal court for restraining order against U.S. Anti-Doping Agency

View Photo Gallery — Lance Armstrong faces fresh doping charges: The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency brought formal doping charges against Lance Armstrong in an action that could cost him his seven Tour de France titles, according to a letter sent to Armstrong on Tuesday.

Smaller Text Larger Text Text Size
    Print
    Reprints

By Amy Shipley, Updated: Monday, July 9, 9:45 AM

Lance Armstrong filed a lawsuit in federal court Monday morning and asked for a temporary restraining order against the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, alleging that the 12-year-old organization and its chief executive have engaged in an obsessive, unlawful and meritless campaign to strip him of his seven Tour de France titles and ruin his legacy.

In an 80-page complaint filed in the U.S. District Court in the Western District of Texas, Armstrong alleges that USADA and CEO Travis Tygart don’t have the jurisdiction to attempt to charge him with being a central player in a massive sports doping conspiracy, yet have done so while violating his constitutional rights, breaking the organization’s own rules and possibly breaking federal laws.
If the court grants Armstrong’s request, a lengthy legal battle likely will ensue between Armstrong — backed by attorneys from Washington firms Patton Boggs and Williams and Connolly and Austin’s Howry Breen and Herman — and USADA, a Colorado Springs-based agency that relies primarily on one in-house attorney and $10 million in federal funding annually.

I'm sure the USADA will get someone pro bono, but that seems like a mismatch for now

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-files-suit-against-usada/2012/07/09/gJQA1UL8XW_story.html

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #732: July 09, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
:lmao:

After Bradley Wiggins "kangaroo" comments the other day this just gets more and more entertaining.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #733: July 09, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
I'm sure the USADA will get someone pro bono, but that seems like a mismatch for now

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-files-suit-against-usada/2012/07/09/gJQA1UL8XW_story.html

I heard on WTOP this evening that the judge rejected the suit, saying the bulk of the 80 pages was irrelevant to the claims made in the suit and giving them a timeframe to support their claim.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #734: July 09, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
I heard on WTOP this evening that the judge rejected the suit, saying the bulk of the 80 pages was irrelevant to the claims made in the suit and giving them a timeframe to support their claim.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/sports/20120709armstrongsuit/Armstrong_order.pdf

there's the order, they say they plan on refiling by wendsday

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #735: July 09, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »
Fundamentally, the USADA is a quasi-governmental agency that does not afford due process to the athletes before it.   It stinks that Armstrong probably doped, because I'd like to see someone innocent tear them apart.  Contador might have been the closest to a wrongly penalized guy under WADA procedures. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #736: July 09, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/sports/20120709armstrongsuit/Armstrong_order.pdf

there's the order, they say they plan on refiling by wendsday

Wow, an amazing opinion in that it completely rips the Armstrong camp a new one.  Scathing. 

Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 8(a) requires that a plaintiff's complaint contain "short and
plain" statements of both the basis of the court' sjurisdiction, and the plaintiff's legal claim for relief.
Likewise, Rule 8(d)(1) states, "Each allegation must be simple, concise, and direct." The Supreme
Court has recently held that "a complaint must contain sufficient factual matter, accepted as true, to
'state a claim to relief that is plausible on its face." Ashcroft v. Iqbal, 556 U.S. 662, 678 (2009)
(quoting Bell Atlantic Corp. v. Twombly, 550 U.S. 544, 570 (2007)). Rule 8 prescribes a middle
ground of specificity, not requiring " detailed factual allegations," but demanding "more than an
unadorned, the-defendant-unlawfully-harmed-me accusation." Id. (quoting Twombly, 550 U.S. at
555). Thus, "a pleading that offers 'labels and conclusions' or 'a formulaic recitation of the elements
of a cause of action will not do," Id. (quoting Twombly, 550 U.S. at 555), nor will a complaint rife
with argument and "other things that a pleader, aware of and faithful to the command of the Federal
Rules of Civil Procedure, knows to be completely extraneous," Gordon v. Green, 602 F.2d 743, 745
(5th Cir. 1979). Ultimately, what Rule 8 demands is a short and plain statement of detailedfacts,
not a mechanical recital of boilerplate allegations, nor, as is more relevant here, a lengthy and
bitter polemic against the named defendants.

Armstrong's complaint is far from short, spanning eighty pages and containing 261 numbered
paragraphs, many of which have multiple subparts. Worse, the bulk of these paragraphs contain
"allegations" that are wholly irrelevant to Armstrong's claimsand which, the Court must presume,
were included solely to increase media coverage of this case, and to incite public opinion against
Defendants. See, e.g., Compl. [#1] ¶ 10 ("USADA's kangaroo court proceeding would violate due
process even if USADA had jurisdiction to pursue its charges against Mr. Armstrong.").1 Indeed,
vast swaths of the complaint could be removed entirely, and most of the remaining paragraphs
substantially reduced, without the loss of any legally relevant information.

Nor are Armstrong's claims "plain": although his causes of action are, thankfully, clearly
enumerated, the excessive preceding rhetoric makes it difficult to relate them to any particular factual
support. This Court is not inclined to indulge Armstrong's desire for publicity, self-aggrandizement,
or vilification of Defendants, by sifting through eighty mostly unnecessary pages in search of the few
kernels of factual material relevant to his claims.

1 Contrary to Armstrong's apparent belief, pleadings filed in the United States District Courts are not press
releases, internet blogs, or pieces of investigative journalism. All parties, and their lawyers, are expected to comply with
the rules of this Court, and face potential sanctions if they do not.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #737: July 09, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
Armstrong is such a bum.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #738: July 09, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Back to the topic - riding my bike the 15.2 miles to work tomorrow. My Nissan pickup is in the shop. I'll post here if I make it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #739: July 10, 2012, 06:27:51 AM »
Back to the topic - riding my bike the 15.2 miles to work tomorrow. My Nissan pickup is in the shop. I'll post here if I make it.

You live in Fort Hunt, right?  Let me know how the ride is, the wife and I are thinking of buying there but I'm hesitant if I can't bike to work.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #740: July 10, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
Neglected to post these earlier, but here are some shots of the CC hanging out at one of my favorite places:

Graspers waiting by the players entrance in 100 degree heat:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #741: July 10, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »
You live in Fort Hunt, right?  Let me know how the ride is, the wife and I are thinking of buying there but I'm hesitant if I can't bike to work.

my next door neighbor bikes from that area to the Mark Center a few times per week- the gw is easily accessible depending on where you live, you might even be able to cross the road way on a bridge instead of playing frogger in the middle of a highway, just tag a few more miles onto your commute to find out if its doable

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #742: July 10, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
What part do you live in?  Belle View looked like a good fit too but there were two parts of Fort Hunt we really liked.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #743: July 10, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
What part do you live in?  Belle View looked like a good fit too but there were two parts of Fort Hunt we really liked.

a couple of miles further down in the hollin hall area- if your thinking belle view, look at a flood plain map

Online Slateman

« Reply #744: July 10, 2012, 08:29:54 AM »
Neglected to post these earlier, but here are some shots of the CC hanging out at one of my favorite places:

(Image removed from quote.)

Graspers waiting by the players entrance in 100 degree heat:

That's not the Miami Marlins new stadium ....

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #745: July 10, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
a couple of miles further down in the hollin hall area- if your thinking belle view, look at a flood plain map

That's something I hadn't thought about.  Good to know.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #746: July 10, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/111746913

Is that viewable? It should be public. The ride was good. Mt Vernon Trail to Four Mile Run Trail to Shirlington and the WO&D trail. I was supposed to cut over at the Bluemont Junction Trail at Carlin Springs Rd. but missed it and ended up taking the Custis Trail for 2 bonus miles. 17+ miles total, should have been 15 or so.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #747: July 10, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
How tough were the climbs?  No love for the Strava?  ;)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #748: July 10, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
How tough were the climbs?  No love for the Strava?  ;)

Strava? The Climbs - surprisingly. Rolling. Nothing too extreme. The WO&D is pretty much all uphill. Going up river - well, up-stream.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #749: July 10, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
Strava? The Climbs - surprisingly. Rolling. Nothing too extreme. The WO&D is pretty much all uphill. Going up river - well, up-stream.

Strava (http://www.strava.com/) is similar to MapMyRide, I just happen to be a major fanboi of it.  The King of the Mountain achievements are really cool to me.  I might have to do a ride down the Mt Vernon down to your hood this weekend and check it out.