Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52503 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #200: June 22, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
Not sure how valuabe Span will be in a trade.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #201: June 22, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
I'd think we could get a B level prospect (I'll call Meyer and A or A-) now.  He's roughly an average MLB player with below average O and above average D.  I'd think we might be able to get a #3- #4 starter with an expiring contract (Ted Lilly type), but it would be a bit of a stretch. 

Say you are SD, Maybin is hurt, you are still close to SF and AZ, and you are playing Alexi Amarista in CF?  do you give either a marginal starter or a prospect pitcher?

Online Slateman

« Reply #202: July 01, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
http://www.pennlive.com/senators/index.ssf/2013/06/brian_goodwins_best_stretch_of.html

Harrisburg Senators player of the week
"Goodwin, 22, hit .417 (10-for-24) in six games with three runs, two doubles, a home run, three rbis, three walks and only four strikeouts."

Now hitting .258/.357/.398 on the season with 16 SBs (Out of 26 though), 10 doubles, 7 triples, and a health 11.3% walk rate. Honestly, looks a lot like Span right now ...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #203: July 01, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
No, he has to be Nat-uralized.  Walking too much for only a 23% strikeout rate.  Needs to be more aggressive on balls outside the strike zone and get that walk rate down to 8%.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #204: July 01, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
Goodwin also has a lot more power potential than Span does.

Online Slateman

« Reply #205: July 01, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »
Goodwin also has a lot more power potential than Span does.
We hope

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #206: July 01, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
We hope

We know.

7 years in minors for Span - 10 HR
1 1/2 years in minors for Goodwin - 20 HR

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #207: July 17, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Goodwin now at .254 with 7 homers; 95 K and 45 BB; hitting .243 over his last 10 games. Not great numbers, but better than Destin Hood...slipping down into the .220s.

I'm not ready to give up on Span.

Other item: the Nats already have their ML-ready young hitters in Washington: Harper and Rendon. Looks like a dry spell ahead. (Yes, back in 2005 I looked over the New Orleans Zephyrs to see what kind of organization had moved to DC. Today, the minor-league pitching looks stronger, but not the position players.)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #208: July 17, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
Goodwin now at .254 with 7 homers; 95 K and 45 BB; hitting .243 over his last 10 games. Not great numbers, but better than Destin Hood...slipping down into the .220s.

I'm not ready to give up on Span.

Other item: the Nats already have their ML-ready young hitters in Washington: Harper and Rendon. Looks like a dry spell ahead. (Yes, back in 2005 I looked over the New Orleans Zephyrs to see what kind of organization had moved to DC. Today, the minor-league pitching looks stronger, but not the position players.)
Position players are bound to be weak in the minors right now.  They don't grow on trees and we've called up a crap ton of them over the last several years.  Espinosa, Ramos, Rendon, Harper, Lombardozzi, T Mo, etc. have all been called up in the last three years.  That much of a graduation rate will weaken minor league depth.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #209: July 17, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »
Position players are bound to be weak in the minors right now.  They don't grow on trees and we've called up a crap ton of them over the last several years.  Espinosa, Ramos, Rendon, Harper, Lombardozzi, T Mo, etc. have all been called up in the last three years.  That much of a graduation rate will weaken minor league depth.
Yup. Graduated/trades plenty of pitchers too.

The minors system we have is pretty efficient.

Offline welch

« Reply #210: July 17, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »
Yup. Graduated/trades plenty of pitchers too.

The minors system we have is pretty efficient.

The young hitters have already been called up. Looking down the rosters, Eury Perez is still hitting about .300, and probably Kobernus is also. (I keep forgetting Kobernus). Goodwin is about two seasons away from the Nats, with a bit of luck and a strong tail-wind. Other than Goodwin, Syracuse and Harrisburg look thin.

The Nats have already promoted the players who are likely to make it in the majors.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #211: July 18, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »
The young hitters have already been called up. Looking down the rosters, Eury Perez is still hitting about .300, and probably Kobernus is also. (I keep forgetting Kobernus). Goodwin is about two seasons away from the Nats, with a bit of luck and a strong tail-wind. Other than Goodwin, Syracuse and Harrisburg look thin.

The Nats have already promoted the players who are likely to make it in the majors.

I'm guessing that Goodwin ONLY gets a Sept call up ( I don't know when) and will never see the Nats clubhouse again.

Online Slateman

« Reply #212: July 18, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
I'm guessing that Goodwin ONLY gets a Sept call up ( I don't know when) and will never see the Nats clubhouse again.

That's my bet too. I think they trade him this offseason or next season for something they actually need.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #213: July 23, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
Washington Nationals top prospect Brian Goodwin has been developing — slowly, some would say — but the development is there, according to the player himself and his manager with Double-A Harrisburg, Matt Lecroy.

New Hampshire Union Leader

MANCHESTER -- WHEN you’re labeled a “five-tool” player, expectations can be long and patience from those on the outside can be short.

Washington Nationals top prospect Brian Goodwin has been developing — slowly, some would say — but the development is there, according to the player himself and his manager with Double-A Harrisburg, Matt Lecroy.

“I’ve been pleased with his effort and how he plays. He’s got tremendous talent and skill level. It’s good to see him starting to put it all together,” said Lecroy, whose Senators played the Fisher Cats Monday night at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. “His skill level is off the charts. He can throw, run, hit. It’s good to see him starting to put it together at the right time.”

A center fielder, Goodwin is just 22 and hails from Rocky Mount, N.C. He played at Miami Dade South and was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 17th round of the 2009 amateur draft. In his first full season of Double-A ball, Goodwin is hitting just .251 and has struck out 101 times, but was an Eastern League all star. He has seven home runs, 28 RBIs and 18 stolen bases.

Goodwin is not oblivious to the expectations placed on him due to the “top prospect” label, but says his own standards are what drive him.

“A lot of times, my expectations for myself are higher than (other people’s) are. It’s harder for me to please myself than maybe some other people,” Goodwin said. “By the time I meet my expectations, I’ve met everybody’s expectations so I don’t let it affect me too much.”

According to Lecroy, Goodwin’s improvement from the end of last season, when he spent the last six weeks with Harrisburg, to where he is now is significant.
Full article; http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130723/SPORTS0102/130729739

I am still big on Brian Goodwin. He'll be a stud when he makes it to the majors. He has the all around ability to impact the game in a big way.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #214: July 24, 2013, 08:25:18 AM »
2013 has been a disappointing year for Goodwin. He has a lot to prove next year.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #215: July 24, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
Eh.  Not sold on him at all.  Taylor is a better OF prospect. 

no

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #216: July 24, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »
It's just a case of a prospect who was promoted too aggressively and is struggling to catch up. Goodwin is a toolsy guy, and he will catch up. He just needs time.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #217: July 24, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Eh.  Not sold on him at all.  Taylor is a better OF prospect. 
Taylor might be the better player right now but he is definitely not the better prospect.

Offline welch

« Reply #218: July 29, 2013, 02:58:42 PM »
Goodwin  now hitting .254. Although that's better than Destin Hood, who has dropped into the .230's.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #219: July 29, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Goodwin  now hitting .254. Although that's better than Destin Hood, who has dropped into the .230's.

Destin Hood has actually raised his average to .230 from the .220's and is hitting .257 since the AA all-star game, whereas Goodwin's batting average has gone down since the break.  Goodwin has been coming on strong recently though.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #220: July 29, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
Goodwin 1-5 yesterday, struck out 4 times.  Espinosaesque.

Offline welch

« Reply #221: July 29, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
Destin Hood has actually raised his average to .230 from the .220's and is hitting .257 since the AA all-star game, whereas Goodwin's batting average has gone down since the break.  Goodwin has been coming on strong recently though.

Hmmm. These two bits do NOT raise my hopes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #222: July 30, 2013, 03:28:15 AM »
Goodwin is still our top hitting prospect.

Can't wait to see him in Washington around late 2014-15.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #223: July 30, 2013, 08:05:31 AM »
I've seen him play. He's good, but he needs refinement.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #224: July 30, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
Goodwin is still our top hitting prospect.

not a good thing