Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 106850 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1025: February 10, 2016, 08:38:55 PM »
Not by comparison.

Where the hell is Blue anyway?

Curious minds want to know.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1026: February 10, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
During the summer, he mentioned to 2IPAs & I that he had enough of the dialog always being so critical toward each other on WNFF

Not by comparison.

Where the hell is Blue anyway?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1027: February 13, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
Also, depending on what county you live in, it may be illegal for the owners to allow the pet to roam freely, and to damage, soil, or defecate on other people's property.  In Montgomery County those prohibitions apply to all animals, including cats.  You can make anonymous complaints to the animal control agency, but unfortunately most owners tend to have a pretty good idea who made the complaint, so it can get awkward.  Also, there's a natural reluctance to call in the authorities. 

There is no law in Fairfax County against free-roaming cats; the Shelter asks residents to leave healthy stray cats where they find them. See below.

Q: There is a healthy stray cat that keeps coming into my yard. Can I bring it to the shelter?
A: In Fairfax County, there is no law against free-roaming cats.  The majority of healthy, free-roaming cats do have a nearby owner.  Do not attempt to trap or catch the cat to bring it to the Shelter. If the cat is a nuisance, there are number of harmless cat repellants that are sold at pet stores and home good stores.

I've just had a bad experience with a neighbor who my cat followed to his house. The mailman told me where the cat went and when I approach this neighbor he started lecturing me how free roaming cats were illegal (again, they're not) and they are threat to birds (dude has like a dozen feeders in his front yard) and he tried to take it the shelter. (The mailman told me that he told this guy where the cat belonged but he apparently didn't care.) The neighbor said he tried to take the cat to the shelter but it got out of the car a few blocks away. I'm not sure I'm buying that story but we have not seen the cat since and that was five days ago.

Cats are considered personal property in Fairfax County. This guy knowingly took my cat even though he knew exactly where it lives because he hates cats and wanted to make a point. I am now looking to prosecute him. I've already filed a report with the cops. I am not playing. I've already talked to a lawyer, too. I am going to make this guy's life a miserable hell in any legal way I can.

It's not just about revenge. I suspect this is not the first time this guy's had done this and I don't want him to do this to other people's cat in the future.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1028: February 15, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
That's terrible. Crap like this is why I went from indoor/outdoor cats to solely indoor about 20 years ago.  Just way too much risk to the animals these days. Toys, scratching posts and dogs to chase em. That's the way we roll now.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1029: February 15, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
That's horrible. Even though I don't like some of my neighbors' dogs, I would never in a million years think of pulling a stunt like that. I hope the police help you.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1030: February 15, 2016, 10:50:38 AM »
That's horrible. Even though I don't like some of my neighbors' dogs, I would never in a million years think of pulling a stunt like that. I hope the police help you.

Are your neighbor's dogs running loose in the neighborhood?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1031: February 15, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
I'll take  a wandering cat over a barking dog any day of the week.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1032: February 15, 2016, 11:06:23 AM »
I'll take  a wandering cat over a barking dog any day of the week.

We have a tie going into New Hampshire.    :)    My neighbor's dog barks before his paws hit the ground coming out the back door but he doesn't crap in my flower bed.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1033: February 15, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
We have a tie going into New Hampshire.    :)    My neighbor's dog barks before his paws hit the ground coming out the back door but he doesn't crap in my flower bed.

Fertilizer > Noise Pollution?  :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1034: February 15, 2016, 12:00:23 PM »
Oh man.  One phone call to the rescue ladies and your neighbour will have a whole coven headed over on their brooms. 
There is no law in Fairfax County against free-roaming cats; the Shelter asks residents to leave healthy stray cats where they find them. See below.

Q: There is a healthy stray cat that keeps coming into my yard. Can I bring it to the shelter?
A: In Fairfax County, there is no law against free-roaming cats.  The majority of healthy, free-roaming cats do have a nearby owner.  Do not attempt to trap or catch the cat to bring it to the Shelter. If the cat is a nuisance, there are number of harmless cat repellants that are sold at pet stores and home good stores.

I've just had a bad experience with a neighbor who my cat followed to his house. The mailman told me where the cat went and when I approach this neighbor he started lecturing me how free roaming cats were illegal (again, they're not) and they are threat to birds (dude has like a dozen feeders in his front yard) and he tried to take it the shelter. (The mailman told me that he told this guy where the cat belonged but he apparently didn't care.) The neighbor said he tried to take the cat to the shelter but it got out of the car a few blocks away. I'm not sure I'm buying that story but we have not seen the cat since and that was five days ago.

Cats are considered personal property in Fairfax County. This guy knowingly took my cat even though he knew exactly where it lives because he hates cats and wanted to make a point. I am now looking to prosecute him. I've already filed a report with the cops. I am not playing. I've already talked to a lawyer, too. I am going to make this guy's life a miserable hell in any legal way I can.

It's not just about revenge. I suspect this is not the first time this guy's had done this and I don't want him to do this to other people's cat in the future.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1035: February 15, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »
Brown Thrasher - Georgia's State Bird - we apparently don't see many here in winter.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1036: February 15, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
Woah.

Brown Thrasher - Georgia's State Bird - we apparently don't see many here in winter.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1037: February 15, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »

awesome pics!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1038: February 15, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »

Weren't they surprised?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1039: February 15, 2016, 04:19:11 PM »
Weren't they surprised?

About as surprised as Mrs. VaRK was...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1040: February 15, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
About as surprised as Mrs. VaRK was...

How big are they?   I had something like that (smaller than appear in the pictures) in my backyard in the last storm.    They hung around the suet mix and under the deck.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1041: February 15, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
How big are they?   I had something like that (smaller than appear in the pictures) in my backyard in the last storm.    They hung around the suet mix and under the deck.

Maybe a bit bigger than a Blue Bird...pretty good size bird, actually...maybe similar in size to an adult Cardinal?  My wife know this stuff...I just look out the back window and say "Hey, look at that bird."

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1042: February 15, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
Woah.

This a rare sighting for this time of year, GBurg?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1043: February 15, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
You don't see them often. Great shot.
This a rare sighting for this time of year, GBurg?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1044: February 15, 2016, 04:50:33 PM »
Maybe a bit bigger than a Blue Bird...pretty good size bird, actually...maybe similar in size to an adult Cardinal?  My wife know this stuff...I just look out the back window and say "Hey, look at that bird."

The ones at my feeder appeared smaller than the junco  ...  and that's not even hand size.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1045: February 15, 2016, 04:56:49 PM »
The ones at my feeder appeared smaller than the junco  ...  and that's not even hand size.

No these are maybe twice the size of a Junco...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1046: February 15, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
You don't see them often. Great shot.

Yeah...the missus is pretty stoked about seeing this one...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1047: February 15, 2016, 08:27:03 PM »
Kind of fits in here   ....  WKC is on CNBC.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1048: February 15, 2016, 08:30:26 PM »

The cops won't prosecute because they say he didn't mean any harm. The real reason is this particular cop didn't want to deal with a cat case. He's way too important.

My lawyer is looking at the possibilities of civil court. I am won't rest until all possibilities are exhausted. I've given up on getting our cat back. I just want to send a message so as stop this doubchebag from doing it again.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1049: February 15, 2016, 09:11:22 PM »
If someone touched one of my cats they'd be looking for their teeth.  Good luck. 
The cops won't prosecute because they say he didn't mean any harm. The real reason is this particular cop didn't want to deal with a cat case. He's way too important.

My lawyer is looking at the possibilities of civil court. I am won't rest until all possibilities are exhausted. I've given up on getting our cat back. I just want to send a message so as stop this doubchebag from doing it again.