Author Topic: Strasburg TJ surgery & ongoing recovery news  (Read 20765 times)

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
Also guys, biochemical analysis is not the same as a biomechanical analysis.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
So from what I've been reading (and hearing from Bob Carpenter), TJ surgery isn't 100% for Strasburg or am I being mistaken?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
MLB says he "may need surgery" so I guess maybe it's not 100% yet.  If he's going to need it though, I'd rather have him get it now instead of beginning of next season.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Different kinds of tears, this is a significant one that needs the surgert, says Rizzo.

Offline ronnynat

Just found out about this. Sucks.

Offline ronnynat

I wonder if they'll tweak his mechanics after he recovers. Probably will. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I wonder if they'll tweak his mechanics after he recovers. Probably will. 

I wonder how. Lots of different opinions out there about what went wrong. Even the experts are going to have a lot of opinions.

Did they tweak Zimmermann's mechanics? Carpenter's? Any of the other countless TJ survivors? Would love to read any articles about mechanical tweaks following TJ.

Offline Fan037

A few months ago, the LA Angels lost pitcher, Nick Adenhart, at the age of 22.  Adenhart was killed in an auto accident after pitching 6 scoreless innings against the Oakland Athletics.  Adenhart had previously had TJ surgery.

We have Strasburg and we have to hope he gets well again.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
A few months ago? That was nearly a year and a half ago.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
A few months ago, the LA Angels lost pitcher, Nick Adenhart, at the age of 22.  Adenhart was killed in an auto accident after pitching 6 scoreless innings against the Oakland Athletics.  Adenhart had previously had TJ surgery.

We have Strasburg and we have to hope he gets well again.
His name popped out to me on the Wikipedia list of players that have had TJ surgery.

Offline Fan037

Sorry, Linty, if I misstated the date of Adenhart's death.  I thought it was a few months ago.  The main point is we have Strasburg, and hopefully, he'll get well. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Sorry, Linty, if I misstated the date of Adenhart's death.  I thought it was a few months ago.  The main point is we have Strasburg, and hopefully, he'll get well.  

Sorry for correcting you... but for some reason that death really hit me hard.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Sorry for correcting you... but for some reason that death really hit me hard.

Drunk driving fatalities are absolutely the worst. Taking a cab could save lives. If you think about it, it's revolting.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The scum bag that killed him had his license suspended for drunk driving in the past... he should have been in jail many times over, yet the system failed us, and Nick.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Rizzo, Strasburg, and Riggleman sound certain that Strasburg will need surgery...at least as quoted in the Post right now. Given recovery time, it sounds like Strasburg will return for spring training in 2012.

Argh.

So...how many possible starting pitchers do the Nats have?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
They better not freak up and try to avoid this and end up prolonging the problem.

Offline Coladar

Theres so much out there about this, and it's such bad news on top of the awful playing the Nats have done this week, that I've had it. I don't want to read any more about this. So I'll ask a question here that hopefully has been answered. Is it believed that this injury requiring TJ happened last Saturday? Or did they just chance upon it by doing the MRI? Further, did Stras have this contrast MRI when we went on the DL in July, and thus not have this injury then? or any signs of it?

It seems unbelievable this just popped up in two and a half starts. It further seems so unbelievable he's injured to the point of TJ surgery in just half a professional season, when so much ridiculous precaution was taken. Is there much precedent for a guy with this little playing time, babied this much, and who had just had an MRI show clean a couple weeks prior having this happen? Or is it, as I've been posting for a couple months, strongly due in part to Stras throwing so hard and appearing to have "rough" mechanics where he's just throwing his entire body behind a 100+ pitch?

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
Theres so much out there about this, and it's such bad news on top of the awful playing the Nats have done this week, that I've had it. I don't want to read any more about this. So I'll ask a question here that hopefully has been answered. Is it believed that this injury requiring TJ happened last Saturday? Or did they just chance upon it by doing the MRI? Further, did Stras have this contrast MRI when we went on the DL in July, and thus not have this injury then? or any signs of it?

It seems unbelievable this just popped up in two and a half starts. It further seems so unbelievable he's injured to the point of TJ surgery in just half a professional season, when so much ridiculous precaution was taken. Is there much precedent for a guy with this little playing time, babied this much, and who had just had an MRI show clean a couple weeks prior having this happen? Or is it, as I've been posting for a couple months, strongly due in part to Stras throwing so hard and appearing to have "rough" mechanics where he's just throwing his entire body behind a 100+ pitch?

I haven't been reading too much on it either, as quite frankly, it's depressing, but yeah, that one pitch where Strasburg grimaced at Philly definitely did something that it wasn't supposed to do. It's crazy that his entire career can change just like that.. Like you said, it's unreal that this happened to us, after how slowly and precautionary we've worked him so far.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Boras seems to think he was fine... and it was just a one pitch, arm snapped, type of deal.

Quote from: Scott Boras
"The plan that Mike Rizzo and Stephen and I sat down and devised was exactly what the Nationals did," Boras said. "There's no issue as to anything about the plan. This is just an unfortunate even that occurs with pitchers. It happened with one pitch. There's no notice to any of this. As far as Stephen's treatment and the conservatism applied by all of us, it was done in the greatest of caution."

http://dc.sbnation.com/2010/8/27/1654272/stephen-strasburg-elbow-tear-scott-boras

Offline blue911

The scum bag that killed him had his license suspended for drunk driving in the past... he should have been in jail many times over, yet the system failed us, and Nick.

Both drivers were drunk.

Offline Potomac Cannons

So...how many possible starting pitchers do the Nats have?

JZ, Detwiler, Marquis, Maya (1st AAA start was quite nice), Olsen, Livo (I'd say it's a lock he re-signs), Martin, Chico, Milone, Solis, LAAnnAAn, Wang (if healthy), Mock (I didn't say that), Martis, Arnesen, Meyers (if his foot is okay).

Re-sign Livo and I'm confident with any combination of the first 10 there for next season.  You add Strasburg back into the 2012 mix, along with some others coming up like Peacock, Rosenbaum etc. and this is only a minor, temporary setback.

Offline hammondsnats

Potomac, you do realize that's pretty much the same pool we had this year (sans wang/maya)?.  We have 75 losses with that group.  And next year we won't have SS.  We need outside help, big time, imo. 

Offline Upark25

Potomac, you do realize that's pretty much the same pool we had this year (sans wang/maya)?.  We have 75 losses with that group.  And next year we won't have SS.  We need outside help, big time, imo. 
I agree completely I mean you would pretty much be going off of major progression from Zimm and Detwiler and the addition of Maya...you have to go after somebody in the offseason.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
it has been said that pitchers who recover from TJ surgery end up throwing HARDER than they did before.

think about that....

Offline hammondsnats

it has been said that pitchers who recover from TJ surgery end up throwing HARDER than they did before.

think about that....

Yup...denny neagle yesterday was saying, this surgery is so mainstream its better to get it when younger and the fact strasburg is going to comeback throwing 95 mph changeups is just unfair haha.

Just sucks we won't see him til 2012.