Author Topic: Olsen's suspension  (Read 2593 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Olsen's suspension
« Topic Start: July 16, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »
Marlins suspend Olsen for two days after scuffle
By JOE CAPOZZI
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 16, 2007

UPDATED: 5:51 p.m. July 16, 2007

MIAMI GARDENS — Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen was suspended Monday for two days without pay for insubordination and conduct detrimental to the team after a scuffle with teammate Sergio Mitre.

"He will be here Wednesday and if you want to talk to him further that's fine, but I'm not going to say anything else,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

Olsen did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone this afternoon by The Palm Beach Post.

The suspension stems from an incident in the tunnel behind the Marlins dugout at Dolphin Stadium after Olsen came out of Sunday's game, sources said.

Olsen, the sources said, exchanged words with Mitre, another starter, who had approached the left-hander to console him after a rocky outing. The pitchers scuffled, a source said.

Olsen (7-7) went five inings and earned the win Sunday but walked five.

Olsen has demonstrated a short temper in the past.

Last year, he clashed in seperate incidents with then-manager Joe Girardi, third baseman Miguel Cabrera and pitcher Randy Messenger, who gave Olsen a black eye during an off-field incident. Olsen earlier this year acknowledged his temper, saying it is something he needs to improve.

The suspension will cost Olsen $4,153 of his $380,000 salary. Gonzalez said Olsen would still be able to make his next scheduled start, Friday against the visiting Cincinnati Reds.
Palm Beach Post

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Olsen's suspension
« Reply #1: July 16, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »
The Marlins suspended Olsen for "conduct detrimental to the team..." How much you want to bet it it's for all the "F" bombs he dropped on TV yesterday ... there were about 15 people in the stands and you could hear him plain as day ... totally gets a  :rofl: in my book ...

« Reply #2: July 16, 2007, 07:12:03 PM »
Yeah, freak you Olsen you freaking freak!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: July 16, 2007, 08:56:20 PM »
The Marlins suspended Olsen for "conduct detrimental to the team..." How much you want to bet it it's for all the "F" bombs he dropped on TV yesterday ... there were about 15 people in the stands and you could hear him plain as day ... totally gets a  :rofl: in my book ...

It couldn't be for that.  Samson (Marlins President) drops F-bombs every couple months on his radio show.  He once even told a listener to bring his (the listener's) wife by the office so he could f-bomb her, wanted strippers to dance on the foul poles, etc.  Samson is a punk, but Loria apparently finds such behavior acceptable.

Actually, what happened was Mitre went back to console Olsen in the tunnel after he was pulled for yet another crap start, and Olsen punched him out.  That's Olsen's third fist-fight with a teammate in a little over a year.  I imagine it's also his third loss.  But, he does pitch better when he's sporting a black eye.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #4: July 16, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »
It couldn't be for that.  Samson (Marlins President) drops F-bombs every couple months on his radio show.  He once even told a listener to bring his (the listener's) wife by the office so he could f-bomb her, wanted strippers to dance on the foul poles, etc.  Samson is a punk, but Loria apparently finds such behavior acceptable.

Actually, what happened was Mitre went back to console Olsen in the tunnel after he was pulled for yet another crap start, and Olsen punched him out.  That's Olsen's third fist-fight with a teammate in a little over a year.  I imagine it's also his third loss.  But, he does pitch better when he's sporting a black eye.

God ... what a tool ....

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: July 16, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »
Which one, Samson, Loria, or Olsen?

God ... what a tool ....

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #6: July 16, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »
Which one, Samson, Loria, or Olsen?

What a TOOL BOX!

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: July 16, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #8: July 17, 2007, 03:24:42 AM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,4381.0.html

But, you were right to post this in News from around the Majors.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #9: July 17, 2007, 03:25:21 AM »
An important point to be made is that THE MARLINS suspended him, so it's really no big deal, just trying to enforce some basic rules of thumb.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #10: July 17, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »
An important point to be made is that THE MARLINS suspended him, so it's really no big deal, just trying to enforce some basic rules of thumb.

Here are some rules of thumb that the Marlins don't enforce (I couldn't find the orginal article, but found some references to it):

SOMETHING FISHY ABOUT MARLINS PRESIDENT

It sounds like someone needs to put Florida Marlins president David Samson in his place.

OK, other than Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, who put son-in-law Samson in his current position of power.

The reason for the concern?

As Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel columnist Dave Hyde notes: "Recently, the Marlins team president gave another supposedly comic discourse on [radio] that touched all the bases of women, sex and picturesography. This isn't uncommon. In the past, he has 'joked' of having pictures Night at the stadium. He's 'joked' of having a sex toy in his car. He's 'joked' which players looked like pictures stars.

"On this particular show, a male caller who said he otherwise enjoyed Samson's segment asked him to, 'Please try not to be so derogatory toward women and lustful when you do the interview. I try to enjoy the show with my girl, and she's like, 'Oh, that Dave Samson, he's a real creep."'

"I will try to be slightly less lecherous for his girlfriend," Samson said. "And if he would like to bring her to my office, we could definitely talk about my lechery."

Samson defended his remarks by saying the radio program is "done completely tongue in cheek.

"We were talking of a [Marlins] promotion where strippers would give lap dances, and I said, 'No, it's much funnier if you have them work the foul pole."'

OK, maybe not much funnier.

Rather than give this guy a new ballpark, maybe someone simply should give him a lounge act.
FindArticles.com

This isn't the first time Samson's radio comments have raised an eyebrow. Our columnist, Dave Hyde, last season called out Samson for engaging in topics of questionable taste on his segment. One that comes to mind was which baseball players would make the  best pictures stars. If memory serves, Samson gave Sal Fasano the nod.
Sun-Sentinel

And more on the Olsen incident:

Team suspends Olsen for 2 games
By JOE CAPOZZI
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 17, 2007

MIAMI GARDENS — Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen, who fought with teammates at least twice last season, has done it again.

After a successful, but frustrating, five-inning outing Sunday, sources said Olsen scuffled with fellow starter Sergio Mitre in a tunnel behind the Florida dugout during the bottom of the fifth.

Olsen was suspended by the team Monday for two games without pay for insubordination and conduct detrimental to the team, manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

The trouble apparently began with a faulty button on Olsen's jersey.

After Olsen came off the mound in the middle of the fifth inning, he tore off his jersey, threw it at a clubhouse attendant and demanded a new one.

Sources said Mitre admonished Olsen for his behavior. That led to the scuffle while third baseman Miguel Cabrera was at bat.

The incident began moments before Cabrera hit an upper-deck home run. Fans on the third-base side looked across the infield and could see almost everyone in the Marlins dugout jump up and run to the end directly behind first base.

In a tunnel behind a television camera bay, teammates were pulling apart Olsen and Mitre.

Olsen met with reporters after the game as usual, but didn't know at that point that he would be disciplined. Monday, he was not available for comment and did not return a message left on his cellphone.

Mitre, who Monday politely declined to discuss the incident, isn't the first teammate to clash with Olsen.

As a rookie last year, Olsen got into a dugout scuffle with Cabrera during a game in New York against the Mets. Earlier last season, Olsen got a black eye after he was punched by friend and then-teammate Randy Messenger in an off-field incident in St. Petersburg.

And during a game at Dolphin Stadium, Olsen angered then-manager Joe Girardi, who grabbed Olsen by the shirt and pulled him to the end of the dugout for a scolding.

This year, the club fined Olsen an undisclosed amount for making an obscene gesture toward fans in Milwaukee when he was removed from his start June 1.

"I'm a different person when I'm out there," Olsen told beat writers at the time.

Olsen, 23, also said then that he doesn't worry about his image.

"No, not one bit," he said. "People that have an opinion of me, most of them, probably don't know me."

One source Monday hinted that the management has grown increasingly frustrated with Olsen's attitude this season. The discipline Monday, the source said, "was a long time coming.''

The last player the Marlins suspended was A.J. Burnett at the end of the 2005 season. After he lost six decisions in a row, he said of the Marlins: "We play scared. We manage scared. We coach scared."

Olsen, who is making $380,000 this year, will lose $4,153 because of his suspension. He was barred from the clubhouse Monday and today.

"He will be here Wednesday and if you want to talk to him further that's fine," Gonzalez told reporters, "but I'm not going to say anything else."

The manager said Olsen still would be able to make his next scheduled start, Friday against the Cincinnati Reds at Dolphin Stadium.

Olsen is 7-7 with a 5.15 ERA this season. Last year he finished 12-10 with a 4.04 ERA.
Palm Beach Post

Olsens actions are indeed detrimental and unprofessional.  What amazes me is that Samson's chronic foot in mouth disease is not considered detrimental and unprofessional.  Samson makes Angelos look like a saint.

Offline NatMan

« Reply #11: July 17, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »
who is this samson tool......i mean i know he is the laurie's stepson or something like that but what are his creditentials and how old is he........what an f'in tool......i wish girardi had ripped his head off last year when he was screaming at the umps during the game......

olson seems like a real jerk to......gosh that franchise sucks and somehow they have two ws trophies.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #12: July 17, 2007, 02:04:43 PM »
who is this samson tool......i mean i know he is the laurie's stepson or something like that but what are his creditentials and how old is he........what an f'in tool......i wish girardi had ripped his head off last year when he was screaming at the umps during the game......

olson seems like a real jerk to......gosh that franchise sucks and somehow they have two ws trophies.

Did you read Samson's recent outburst over the Ichiro signing? This guy is looking to move the team and is simply trying to dump salary for prospects. It is insane for a team to think of trading a player like Cabrera, but I actually expect them too.

He completely flipped out when he heard initial rumors of the Ichiro deal, called it ridiculous mismanagement and "the end of the world as we know it."

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: July 17, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »
From Baseball Prospectus - The Week in Quotes column.  REM fans would appreciate the headline hook.

...AND THE MARINERS FEEL FINE

"I would say it's the end of the world as we know it. If Ichiro is worth $20 million a year ... I am speechless by that contract. I'm hoping that report is false, because there's no chance a top-of-the-lineup guy--forget that, anybody- is worth that much. And Ichiro, who's led his team to zero, nothing? I hope you're wrong, Dan."
--Marlins team president David Samson

"We're signing here a Hall of Fame-type player."
--Mariners GM Bill Bavasi, on a contract that includes a $5 million signing bonus and pays Ichiro $17 million per season until 2012.

"It's unbelievable. You know what, everybody gets what they deserve, and I guess that will be more luxury tax money, more revenue-sharing money they'll have to give. I'm sure it can't be true. There's no way they gave $20 million a year to Ichiro, at his age, for five years. There's no way."
--Samson

"I'm going to do my best to play 10 more years here."
--Ichiro Suzuki

"Literally, it will take the sport down, that contract. We're right back to the ridiculous contracts. It can't be."
--Samson (David Andriesen, Seattle Post-Intelligencer)

"He may be 33, but in a much younger body. The idea is, we're going to get a World Series and bring it to Seattle and win it while he's here. He is going into the Hall of Fame, and he's going to wear a Mariners uniform."
--Mariners team president Chuck Armstrong, on the team's plan.

"Well, signing Ichiro to $20 million a year for five years, it's a joke. It's inexcusable. It's complete mismanagement. It can't be true."
--Samson

"Also, the fans in Japan asked me to come back to Japan and play. But in the end, when coming back to Seattle and the fans asked me to stay here, that was the moment that meant the most to me. That's when I decided…We're at a place where all our hard work is blossoming."
--Ichiro (ESPN.com)

"My mother always taught me that if the only thing you have to say is, '(Expletive) Dave Samson,' then don't say anything at all. So I'm not going to say anything at all. Is my mother the greatest or what?"
--Bavasi, responding to David Samson's comment on the Ichiro signing.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #14: July 17, 2007, 05:59:04 PM »

When his stepfather bought a failing Major League Baseball franchise and tapped him to run it, David Samson had his first job in sports.

Nothing on his résumé guaranteed, or even hinted, that he was prepared for it. Samson had been through law school, funded a company that provided same-day-delivery of The New York Times in Europe and worked for a Wall Street investment bank.

But the closest thing he had to previous work experience in sports was a recurring stint as an honorary assistant to legendary New York Knicks coach Red Holzman during charity games, a perk he landed because said stepfather, Jeffrey Loria, was a well-connected fan.

Now, Loria was coming to him with an offer to run the business operations of the Montreal Expos, a franchise that was bleeding money, with little chance of getting public funding for the stadium that would solve its ills.

Intrigued by an opportunity to turn his passion for sports into a career, Samson jumped at the offer.

"I wasn't sure how it would go in Montreal, but I was excited by the challenge," said Samson, who got his feet wet working on the investment banking side of Loria's purchase of the Expos. "I knew that there would be pressure on me to perform, because, even though we are family, this is not a family business.
Sports Business Journal

Loria is himself a ball-less wonder.  He hired Girardi, although everyone else at the time wanted Fredi Gonzalez.  Then, when things go tough, Samson leaked tons information about Girardi, all subsequently proven false, to the press.  Loria and Samson didn't even have the balls to meet with Girardi when he was fired, leaving it up to GM Larry Beinfest.  They weren't even around for the press conference announcing Gonzalez being hired as Girardi's replacement.

The only person in the world more hated in South Florida than Samson is Fidel Castro.

Offline PC

« Reply #15: July 21, 2007, 02:02:57 PM »
Marlins' Olsen arrested after refusing to pull over during traffic stop

July 21, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports         

Florida Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen was arrested early Saturday morning in Aventura, Fla., the Miami Herald reports. Police said the third-year Marlins starting pitcher refused to pull over during a traffic stop.

He was charged with driving under the influence, resisting arrest with violence and fleeing and eluding a police officer.

The early morning arrest occurred hours after Olsen logged seven innings and a win against the Cincinnati Reds in his first game back from serving a two-game suspension for fighting with a teammate.

An officer who was running a radar check clocked Olsen speeding, said Capt. William Washa, an Aventura department spokesman.

''The officer went to pull him over and he refused to stop,'' Washa said.

Olsen, 23, finally stopped his car when he reached his home in Aventura, Washa said. There, he began fighting with the officers and refused to take a Breathalyzer test, Washa said.

...and his mugshot is at the link

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: July 21, 2007, 02:14:41 PM »
Looks like the peace officers had to give him a couple of noogies to calm him down.