Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158072 times)

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #75: April 08, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »
With Natty Bo slugged from a pitcher, the parameters for acceptable dilution and temperature are considerably wider than with, say, a snifter of Orval.

Quantity my friend, quantity.  If the beer were fully consumed while still optimal, that would be evidence of inadequate supplies.  Those round igloo coolers with the spout on the side could hold a nice quantity, but did not excel at insulation.

Offline blue911

« Reply #76: April 08, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
Of course, dilution (from melting ice) is an adverse consequence of such a strategy.

In Birchmere v.2 (v.3 is the current venue) the beer never seemed to be quite cold enough.  However, it was standard for them to bring you a glass of ice, that you would drop in the pitcher to keep the remaining beer cold, and avoid the dilution issue as well.    :worship:

They were drinking Natty Boh for god's sake. But I think the reasoning behind the 4 cubes exactly was that was the magic number of cold to dilute ratio. Old guys know some cool stuff.

Offline Why Not?

« Reply #77: April 08, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
It was also important to keep the beer ice cold right up until the time you walked into the park. As an 8-year old, I enjoyed helping my brothers pour cans of beer into the cooler as we walked up 35th street toward Memorial.

Despite popular legend, Wild Bill Hagy (RIP) typically drank PBR at games, not Natty Boh. :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #78: April 08, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »
It was also important to keep the beer ice cold right up until the time you walked into the park. As an 8-year old, I enjoyed helping my brothers pour cans of beer into the cooler as we walked up 35th street toward Memorial.

Despite popular legend, Wild Bill Hagy (RIP) typically drank PBR at games, not Natty Boh. :D

Also, ideally, one would keep the cooler submersed in ice until right before filling it with beer, pre-chilled.

Wild Bill came to some Terps basketball games for a while, probaby circa 1980.  He'd lead his patented cheer, modifyed for the venue.

T-E-R-P-S

Then after the game, he'd adjourn to the 'vous to down a few beers.  The man was legit, in terms of drinking prowess.  He didn't bother with cups, which must have seemed like thimbles to him.  He drank directly from the pitcher, which cost $2.25 (60 oz.) apiece.  Just walking around the 'vous, checking out the college girls, drinking beer by the gallon. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #79: April 08, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »
How about this? You have like a 6 beer cooler or so. Did they ever check them?  Pour two to four beers in the cooler, clean off a couple of cans that are pretty well chilled (almost frozen) and plop them in the beer. They would be like ice cubes and preserve some carbonation when you got towards the end. Just crack them open and pour them in

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #80: April 09, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »
Actually the situation seemed to have improved at Monday's match - the 'Base Line Brews' on the 300/400 concourse near the stairwell to 416/417 still had its Pilsner Urquell supply going in the fourth inning (albeit with rather a lot of foam)...baby steps, I guess. The other one further clockwise along that concourse (Bass and Stella draughts) looked like it was going fairly well at mid-match too.

Offline Why Not?

« Reply #81: April 09, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
Also, ideally, one would keep the cooler submersed in ice until right before filling it with beer, pre-chilled.

Wild Bill came to some Terps basketball games for a while, probaby circa 1980.  He'd lead his patented cheer, modifyed for the venue.

T-E-R-P-S

Then after the game, he'd adjourn to the 'vous to down a few beers.  The man was legit, in terms of drinking prowess.  He didn't bother with cups, which must have seemed like thimbles to him.  He drank directly from the pitcher, which cost $2.25 (60 oz.) apiece.  Just walking around the 'vous, checking out the college girls, drinking beer by the gallon. 

Nice.
Not to turn this into a Wild Bill thread, but since it IS about beer...

On New Years Day 1976, Bill and his roommate figure a good way to celebrate the bicentennial would be to drink 200 cases of beer in their apartment by July 4. They had a complex chart on the wall to mark their progress....and hit 200 before the end of April.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #82: April 15, 2008, 02:45:29 PM »
I'll try section 416 stairwell again.  But it shouldn't be this hard to find a good variety.  There should be IPAs, ESBs, and/or porter/stoudts at every 4th beer stand in Nationals Park.  I hope Stan Kasten will get the message.

Actually the situation seemed to have improved at Monday's match - the 'Base Line Brews' on the 300/400 concourse near the stairwell to 416/417 still had its Pilsner Urquell supply going in the fourth inning (albeit with rather a lot of foam)...baby steps, I guess. The other one further clockwise along that concourse (Bass and Stella draughts) looked like it was going fairly well at mid-match too.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #83: April 15, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »
I'll try section 416 stairwell again.  But it shouldn't be this hard to find a good variety.  There should be IPAs, ESBs, and/or porter/stoudts at every 4th beer stand in Nationals Park.  I hope Stan Kasten will get the message.

Actually the stand serving Urquell has, as of the most recent home matches, moved a bit further down toward the end of that concourse (toward the higher section numbers).

• babble on
« Reply #84: April 16, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »
DC United now has better beer at the old toilet than the Nats do at the Bellagio ballpark...that is seriously messed up!!!

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #85: April 19, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »
Well, let's just say the front office made a simple mistake.  Given the comotion of the new stadium, let's just accept they made a mistake.  So how do we rectify this problem ?  I think we should all write to Stan and ask him to improve the beer selection.  What do you think would be a way to solve this mistake ?

DC United now has better beer at the old toilet than the Nats do at the Bellagio ballpark...that is seriously messed up!!!

It's always

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #86: April 20, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »
This beer business could actually prompt me to convert to soccer.  :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #87: April 21, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »
Norman Chad in today's Post

"If Budweiser is The Great American Lager, then America needs to rethink lager"

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #88: April 24, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »

I was at the United-Columbus match this past Thursday and it really has improved since the MLS season started - it's pretty much the way it was the last couple of years at RFK. The Guinness/Harp/Smithwicks booth in 319 has re-opened, Carlsberg is back, and more.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #89: April 24, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
This beer business could actually prompt me to convert to soccer.  :lol:

With the Nats playing like balls and me needing to fill an exciting stadium experience void left by the Caps, I think this is the year I finally get around to getting into United beyond my previous interest level of "I'm bored, is there a United game tonight? Nope. (then forget about it for a month and repeat)"

• babble on
« Reply #90: April 24, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
Next game is Saturday night against "Real Salt Lake" (beer advantage: DC).

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #91: April 27, 2008, 09:26:09 PM »
I noticed on Thursday the beer stands now have more Hook & Ladder lager and brown in bottles.  One has to look closely or ask for the Hook & Ladder brand, but there seems to be a good supply in coolers behind all beer stands.

Now let's see if they get something worthwhile on tap.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #92: April 28, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
I noticed on Thursday the beer stands now have more Hook & Ladder lager and brown in bottles.  One has to look closely or ask for the Hook & Ladder brand, but there seems to be a good supply in coolers behind all beer stands.

Now let's see if they get something worthwhile on tap.

The Pilsner Urquell draught (now at the very last bar at the south end of the 300 concourse - one place over from where they used to be) has become fairly steady, although they're still taking a while between kegs.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #93: April 28, 2008, 10:24:22 AM »
I noted on Saturday night that the "Beltway Bar" behind Section 132 has finally been re-oriented to a more sensible position. Previously it faced away from the field. Stupid arrangement because it blocked the view of anyone ordering and there were no TVs. On Saturday I found that it is now perpendicular to the first-base line, which makes a lot more sense. But if they now rotated it so that the service window faced towards home plate, instead of the outfield, it would make even more sense.

They only had Stella on Saturday at that location despite having two taps available (one was not in use). At previous games they had Bass there on the other tap. So there must be some kink with the suppliers somewhere.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #94: April 28, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
since this thread has managed some longevity, I thought it best to clean up the title just a bit.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #95: April 28, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
since this thread has managed some longevity, I thought it best to clean up the title just a bit.

The first time I saw the original subject line, I thought it was a reference to someone selling the beer (much as one refers to the "beer girl" on the golf course, even if she's an old lady and even in the rare event that there is a male driving the beer cart).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #96: May 01, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
Great new beer arrival on the 300 concourse tonight - Pilsner Urquell and Peroni on draught, available from a new beer-only bar roughly outside the entrance to 309 (look for the all-wood porta-bar, placed perpendicular to the seating). Much easier to get to from my seat in 312 than the existing Urquell bar.

This is similar to what's been added at Verizon Centre for Capitals matchnights, for those looking only for beer - excellent idea, keep up the good work!

Offline Skipper88

« Reply #97: May 02, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »
Slightly off-topic:    When did MLB start selling hard liquor at baseball games?   :icon_question:    Maybe I just never noticed at RFK??   But I've been to about half the parks in MLB over the last 25 years and I do not recall ever seeing hard stuff being sold.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #98: May 02, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
Slightly off-topic:    When did MLB start selling hard liquor at baseball games?   :icon_question:    Maybe I just never noticed at RFK??   But I've been to about half the parks in MLB over the last 25 years and I do not recall ever seeing hard stuff being sold.

It takes a bit of looking sometimes, but it's there - at RFK they had Dewar's, Jack and others at the successor to the (late lamented) Foggy Brewpub (at least at DC United matchnights - I didn't go down there at Nats matches). On the 300 level at Nationals Park the Union Pub is the place to go.

When I used to go to Expos matches back in the 90's I recall distilled spirits being available, at least in the (shockingly inexpensive and easily ticketed) club seats.

Still has a way to go to catch up with FedEx Field (provided you either take your potent potable before kick-off when the stadium hasn't filled up, or you don't mind endless waits behind people paying for massive multi-drink orders with credit cards) and the Phone Booth (hard liquor bar outside section 400 and at several locations in the 100 concourse, also at the Dewar's 12 Clubhouse).

Offline Skipper88

« Reply #99: May 02, 2008, 09:03:20 AM »
Huh.    I guess I just never noticed before.  I was really shocked when I walked into Nats Park on opening night and here's a guy selling scotch and vodka and etc.   I guess fans don't get drunk enough and unruly enough on beer....