Author Topic: Offseason moves unrelated to the Nats  (Read 23632 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Offseason moves unrelated to the Nats
« Topic Start: October 22, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »
Lincecum re-signed with the Giants

2/35

Full no trade clause

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Re: Offseason moves unrelated to the Nats
« Reply #1: October 22, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
Lincecum re-signed with the Giants

2/35

Just about to post this.  Seems like crazy money to me but more power to him. 

He has had a losing record the last three seasons.  Last year he went 10-14 with a 4.37 ERA.  Will this elevate other pitchers contract saw ho have pitched better?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: October 22, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
Just about to post this.  Seems like crazy money to me but more power to him. 

He has had a losing record the last three seasons.  Last year he went 10-14 with a 4.37 ERA.  Will this elevate other pitchers contract saw ho have pitched better?

FanGraphs had a post today showing that for the last couple of years, Lincecum has been the same pitcher as Dan Haren.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #3: October 22, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
FanGraphs had a post today showing that for the last couple of years, Lincecum has been the same pitcher as Dan Haren.

Oooooooooo!  BURN!

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #4: October 29, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
MLB Network this morning started a new one----Tulo to the Cards.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: October 29, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
Who would the Cards give up? 

Online Slateman

« Reply #6: October 29, 2013, 11:47:01 AM »
Who would the Cards give up? 

Cards have a plethora of talent to deal. Tavares would probably be at the top of the list though.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: October 29, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »
Yeh, s@@@ks that they will be good for a while.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: October 29, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
contract situation for the Cards in the OF makes me wonder if they can afford to give up Tavares.

Holliday is under contract through 2016 at $17Mm (w/ an option for 2017), but Beltran's contract is up.  Craig has a long term contract and perhaps could be moved to a corner OF to replace Beltran and make room for Adams.  I'm not a big Jay fan, and would think they'd have Tavares slotted for CF.  Maybe with Tulo you can afford a Jay / Robinson
<--------

I think the talk about Drew to St L kind of makes sense for the short term.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #9: October 29, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
JCA do you know all these people's contract statuses or do you have to look them up?  Impressive if it is the former. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: October 29, 2013, 02:26:54 PM »
JCA do you know all these people's contract statuses or do you have to look them up?  Impressive if it is the former. 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

(the site is free)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: October 29, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
Cots is what I look at.

Online Slateman

« Reply #12: October 29, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
contract situation for the Cards in the OF makes me wonder if they can afford to give up Tavares.

Holliday is under contract through 2016 at $17Mm (w/ an option for 2017), but Beltran's contract is up.  Craig has a long term contract and perhaps could be moved to a corner OF to replace Beltran and make room for Adams.  I'm not a big Jay fan, and would think they'd have Tavares slotted for CF.  Maybe with Tulo you can afford a Jay / Robinson
<--------

I think the talk about Drew to St L kind of makes sense for the short term.

Craig will go to RF. Before Taveras is slotted in a corner outfield spot, he has to show consistent power in Triple A. But it should come with time.

Anyway, Carpenter to third, Wong to second, Adams to first. Craig to RF.

Now, I could see the Rockies wanting a first baseman to replace Helton. Adams or Craig would be fine. The Cardinals could also replace Beltran with Taveras, James Ramsey, or Stephen Piscotty. Obviously Taveras is the most talented, but all three should be ready next season. There would be a dip, offensively, from Beltran, but that dip would be more than compensated for by Tulo and Wong.

Offline sph274

« Reply #13: October 29, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
eh i doubt the cards bother with tulo, signing stephen drew to a decent deal seems to make much more sense for them. had a WAR of 3.4 and Kosma can be a competent backup utility guy i guess. they dont need troy tulowitzki, they are already one of the best teams in the league. keeping tavares and wong makes more sense

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #14: October 29, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
Tulo doesn't seem to be the type of player the cards go for.  They like to grow their own and don't usually make major trades/FA moves like Tulo.  We'll see I guess. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: October 29, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
Tulo doesn't seem to be the type of player the cards go for.  They like to grow their own and don't usually make major trades/FA moves like Tulo.  We'll see I guess. 

Holliday?   still don't see them taking on Tulo's contract though

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #16: October 29, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
Holliday?   still don't see them taking on Tulo's contract though

I'm not saying they've never done it but they aren't like the Tigers, yanks, sox, doyers, etc.  Personally I'd be shocked to see the cards spend that kind of money on Tulo. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: October 29, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
I'm not saying they've never done it but they aren't like the Tigers, yanks, sox, doyers, etc.  Personally I'd be shocked to see the cards spend that kind of money on Tulo. 

I would too, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them aggressively address a glaring hole

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #18: October 29, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
I would too, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them aggressively address a glaring hole

Me either but I'd be willing to bet they don't spend huge money chasing a big name FA.  They will scoop up someone under the radar that fits their system instead of trying to force a big name into their system. 

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #19: November 01, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
Wow, the Yankees just signed Jeter to a one year $12m deal.  I get that he is the heart and soul of that team.  He grew up 20 miles from where I did but this is crazy to me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: November 01, 2013, 02:56:13 PM »
Meh.  If he's healthy, he'll give them decent enough offensive numbers with good hands, a decent arm, and minimal range.  This is not Willie Mays at the end.  $12MM is a price drop from his last two years.  This opens up room for the NYY rather than bind their hands.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #21: November 01, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »
Meh.  If he's healthy, he'll give them decent enough offensive numbers with good hands, a decent arm, and minimal range.  This is not Willie Mays at the end.  $12MM is a price drop from his last two years.  This opens up room for the NYY rather than bind their hands.

Injuries are hard to predict I just don't see Jeter being able to stay healthy and play in more than 80 games.  I hope I'm wrong for his sake. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: November 01, 2013, 03:48:09 PM »
If A-Rod is unsuccessful in fighting his suspension, then there's plenty of time available for him at DH.  Why not sign a lefty like Drew with a real good glove and let Jeter DH against righties and play SS against lefties?

Online blue911

« Reply #23: November 01, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »
Injuries are hard to predict I just don't see Jeter being able to stay healthy and play in more than 80 games.  I hope I'm wrong for his sake.

Not quite true. Both Will Carroll and Russell Carleton have written articles exploring this topic. While you can't predict injuries, you can identify what type of player will be more susceptible to injury ie Josh Johnson. There is probably a better than 50% that Jose Reyes misses games with a leg injury, due to his history and playing on turf. Mike Napoli is another high risk because of how corticosteroids effect his hip condition.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #24: November 01, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
I know something about stat classes.  But they never interfered with my beers at the park

So, do you start taking stats classes so you can get a real job, or would that interfere with the beers at the park?