Author Topic: John Lannan  (Read 2871 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: John Lannan
« Reply #25: June 18, 2008, 10:57:43 AM »
If Manny is going to rip on Lannan for giving up 2 runs in 7 innings then he should rip on the offense for their inept hitting three times as much.

He was very critical of the early swinging by the offense.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #26: June 18, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
Manny is looking less mellow by the day...I wonder how long it will be before he just snaps and takes a bite out of someone. 

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #27: June 18, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »

This part slays me.  Manny was "critical?"  (I saw the post-game interview, too.)  Manny, you were SITTING IN THE DUGOUT!  WHY DIDN'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND SAY SOMETHING TO YOUR BATTERS, DURING THE GAME!!!!!!!  Apparently we don't actually have a manager in the clubhouse. 

Willie Randolph is looking real interesting right now...

Sportsline.com's Fantasy take on Lannan after tonight's game:
Those of us in WNFF's Fantasy Division 1 would like sportsfan882 to be more active in managing his Division 2 team, to give thom202 some real competition in that division.  As the Division 2 leader, his D.C. Loxoscelidaes, has a 16-game lead over sportsfan's 2nd place team.  There are bench players who could have replaced guys on the DL... a month ago... if only someone would move them to active status.

Offline BangZoom

« Reply #28: June 18, 2008, 11:51:06 AM »
I really, really, really feel for the kid. He's done everything the Nats have asked from him and a crummy record to show for. It's a shame Manny wouldn't stick up for the guy in his postgame. Yeah he made a mistake, but how about the team's offense not teeing off a pitcher who came in struggling mightily. It's a d@mn shame this team can't get Lannan more runs and more wins. Even bigger shame Manny won't give the kid credit.

« Reply #29: June 18, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »
I really, really, really feel for the kid. He's done everything the Nats have asked from him and a crummy record to show for. It's a shame Manny wouldn't stick up for the guy in his postgame. Yeah he made a mistake, but how about the team's offense not teeing off a pitcher who came in struggling mightily. It's a d@mn shame this team can't get Lannan more runs and more wins. Even bigger shame Manny won't give the kid credit.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell how Manny didn't stick up for Lannan when he said nothing but the truth? Should he lie? Lannan admitted it was a mistake. Is he lying to himself?

How much coddling do you want these players to have?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #30: June 18, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »
Random probability

40 starts begins to become an intriguing sample. If a pitcher really gets the worst run support in the league, maybe his teammates just don't like him.

Offline BangZoom

« Reply #31: June 18, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to tell how Manny didn't stick up for Lannan when he said nothing but the truth? Should he lie? Lannan admitted it was a mistake. Is he lying to himself?

Hmmm how about just saying the kid pitched great it's a shame my offense sucks.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #32: June 18, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »
Hmmm how about just saying the kid pitched great it's a shame my offense sucks.
That would suffice. Like someone (I think PC) posted a few weeks ago there is really no point in talking about or ripping on the pitching at all when our offense is as bad as it is. I can only wonder how much better our pitchers would be pitching with leads as opposed to always knowing that they have to be near perfect to win.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #33: June 18, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »

I re-watched the post game interview with Manny and this is my problem (and Ill remind you Im not a MLB manager, this is all opinion).   The first time Manny was asked about Lannan he said that he pitched a great game and made one mistake, thats fine.  He then goes on and is asked about the hitters and seems to give more credit to Livan for his pitching, while simply leaving the blame for the batters on the fact that they "are young."  He is then asked about John's control and repeats what he said before, then mentions that he left a breaking ball hanging over the plate and that it was mistake, thats fine.  My only problem came when he mentioned TO THE MEDIA that pitch for Moreau was not in the scouting report, because as I watched Lannan's interview later the reporters bring up that exact comment and makes for a very awkward situation for Lannan.  Sure, I think Lannan should be accountable for that mistake and not following the scouting report, but by mentioning that I think that (coupled with barely scraping the surface of the batting issue) Manny inadvertently portrayed Lannan as the problem.  No, I do not think that these pitchers should be coddled at all, in fact I think the exact opposite, I think they should be ripped for things like that.  BUT, I think the issue should have been addressed in private meetings with the Pitching coaches/managers, etc.  I think Manny left the door open for interpretation to the media by mentioning John ignoring the scouting report and it turned out making Lannan looking worse than he did, that is all I was trying to suggest by saying Manny "threw Lannan under the bus with his comments."  It just seemed inconsistent with what Manny says after games, especially after I tried to highlight the need for consistency in the actions/words of a Manager.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #34: June 18, 2008, 12:25:46 PM »
This part slays me.  Manny was "critical?"  (I saw the post-game interview, too.)  Manny, you were SITTING IN THE DUGOUT!  WHY DIDN'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND SAY SOMETHING TO YOUR BATTERS, DURING THE GAME!!!!!!!  Apparently we don't actually have a manager in the clubhouse. 

Willie Randolph is looking real interesting right now...

(Image removed from quote.)
Those of us in WNFF's Fantasy Division 1 would like sportsfan882 to be more active in managing his Division 2 team, to give thom202 some real competition in that division.  As the Division 2 leader, his D.C. Loxoscelidaes, has a 16-game lead over sportsfan's 2nd place team.  There are bench players who could have replaced guys on the DL... a month ago... if only someone would move them to active status.
(Image removed from quote.)

Willie Randolph does NOT look good right now. Manny at least uses statistics often.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #35: June 18, 2008, 12:33:16 PM »
Some of you are making way too much of this issue. You say you don't want pitchers coddled but it sounds like you want just that. Maybe Lannan should complain to the team mom.  :?  And what about all this 'woe is the poor Lannan kid because he is being treated unfairly by the rest of the team because he isn't getting "credited" with the win'. He's pitching great and anybody that understands baseball knows that. Anyone with half a brain knows pitchers should not be measured by their win/loss column. I'm more concerned with the fact that the Nats lost the game not which pitcher gets another notch in his stat line.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: June 18, 2008, 12:34:01 PM »
Willie Randolph does NOT look good right now. Manny at least uses statistics often.

« Reply #37: June 18, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
Some of you are making way too much of this issue. You say you don't want pitchers coddled but it sounds like you want just that. Maybe Lannan should complain to the team mom.  :?  And what about all this 'woe is the poor Lannan kid because he is being treated unfairly by the rest of the team because he isn't getting "credited" with the win'. He's pitching great and anybody that understands baseball knows that. Anyone with half a brain knows pitchers should not be measured by their win/loss column. I'm more concerned with the fact that the Nats lost the game not which pitcher gets another notch in his stat line.

Give this man a beer!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #38: June 18, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »
Give this man a beer!

I'm waiting for my brew 

Offline blue911

« Reply #39: June 18, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
I want to understand this.

Manny said Lannan pitched great game. That's it? He didn't take him to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard or get a Fudgie the Whale cake from Carvel? Bad Manny.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #40: June 18, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
I want to understand this.

Manny said Lannan pitched great game. That's it? He didn't take him to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard or get a Fudgie the Whale cake from Carvel? Bad Manny.

Nah, he gave him the blizzard, he just spit in it first

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #41: June 18, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #42: June 18, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »

Maybe Lannan should throw Manny a high and tight fastball?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #43: June 18, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »

After the way Acta went after Dukes, Lannan better think twice before doing that.

Offline blue911

« Reply #44: June 18, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »

Do you know what they call a curveball that hangs?

Offline Skipper88

« Reply #45: June 18, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »
Any pitcher on this team should be judged by ERA and innings pitched;  K/BB ratio; WHIP; saves / blown saves;   ANYTHING except wins.   

I'm sure that Manny and the FO and folks around the league see this:

14 starts   3.36    83 IP    83 H    49 K  28 BB   8 HR

And don't worry about this:   4 - 8

Lannan sure as hell shouldn't worry about W/L on this team this year.  Even at 23 years old I'm sure he can figure that out.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #46: June 18, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »
Lannan should be our representative for all-stars with-out a doubt. I see great things in store for this young south-paw.

Offline blue911

« Reply #47: June 18, 2008, 03:38:42 PM »
So far Lannan reminds me of Neal Heaton.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #48: June 18, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
From Baseball Prospectus 6/18/2008

STAT OF THE DAY

Bottom 5 2008 NL Offenses, by VORP

Team, EqA, VORP

Washington Nationals, .238, 21.3
San Diego Padres, .253, 49.7
Colorado Rockies, .250, 54.0
Los Angeles Dodgers, .250, 55.4
San Francisco Giants, .255, 66.1