Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97353 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #75: January 06, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
There's one between Middleburg and Chantilly.

An Aldi just recently opened in Manassas on Rt. 234 next to Toys R Us.

Offline imref

« Reply #76: January 06, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »
aldi is awesome. none of their stuff is name brand, but good god is it affordable.

i easily bought about 50 dollars worth of groceries for about 35 bucks.

how does it compare to Trader Joes?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #77: January 06, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
how does it compare to Trader Joes?

never been to trader joes.

but they are owned by the same company.

I think trader joes deals more in health and vegetarian type food, while aldi deals in discount food.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #78: January 06, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »

I think trader joes deals more in health and vegetarian type food, while aldi deals in discount food.

Thanks for the cool fact - didn't know they were the same company.

You won't find 1 organic item at Aldi. Or fresh bread. Totally different market. Both are nice stores.

Offline imref

« Reply #79: January 06, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
How's the beer selection? (They are german-owned, right?)

BTW, I think most of the Trader Joe's beers are made by Gordon Biersch.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #80: January 06, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
Tom gets the credit.  Aldie is a town about midway between Middleburg and Chantilly.

:bow:

God I am slow today. But I can plead ignorance on the rural VA geography, not so much on the periodic table.

:lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #81: January 06, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »

Trader Joe's is a neat place.  In Va. they have a killer selection of inexpensive wines, strong both in reds and whites.  They have some exclusive labels that apparently result from buying up surplus production (excess capacity + recession = surplus) and have bottled and can sell for around $5 a bottle.

During my recent unemployment period, Trader Joe's was a regular stop.  Great value.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #82: January 06, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
An Aldi just recently opened in Manassas on Rt. 234 next to Toys R Us.

Shows what I know.  Geez, I haven't been in that center in ages!  I got ads in my mail box for Aldi.  Heck we already have Walmart, 2 Giants, a Harris Teeter, a Safeway, a Shoppers Food Warehouse, a Bottom Dollar, and a Bloom. Just what we need.  Another Grocery store!  :roll:

Is BAD ASS coffee still there?  Yes that's the name of the coffee shop.  Named after the donkeys that brought the Kona Coffee beans up and down the mountains. 

It used to be located right next to the Christian Book Store! 

Offline blue911

« Reply #83: January 07, 2010, 07:28:05 AM »
Shows what I know.  Geez, I haven't been in that center in ages!  I got ads in my mail box for Aldi.  Heck we already have Walmart, 2 Giants, a Harris Teeter, a Safeway, a Shoppers Food Warehouse, a Bottom Dollar, and a Bloom. Just what we need.  Another Grocery store!  :roll:

Is BAD ASS coffee still there?  Yes that's the name of the coffee shop.  Named after the donkeys that brought the Kona Coffee beans up and down the mountains. 

It used to be located right next to the Christian Book Store! 

Isn't there an Asian grocery at the corner of 29 & 28?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #84: January 07, 2010, 09:22:46 AM »
How's the beer selection? (They are german-owned, right?)

BTW, I think most of the Trader Joe's beers are made by Gordon Biersch.
I used to love their beer, then the trader joes in old town redid the layout and choose to put all its beer infront of a floor to ceiling window- three skunked six packs later and I gave up

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #85: January 07, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
I used to love their beer, then the trader joes in old town redid the layout and choose to put all its beer infron of a floor to ceiling window- three skunked six packs later and I gave up

Oh the humanity!

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #86: January 07, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
first attempt at plaintains = epic fail.

gonna get some more and try again.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #87: January 07, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »

Did they taste bad or did they just go up in smoke :rofl:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #88: January 07, 2010, 07:59:02 PM »
went up in smoke.

next time i am going to submerge them in oil rather than try to cook them on a skillet.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #89: January 07, 2010, 08:02:17 PM »

Slice them in half long-ways, drizzle a little maple syrup on each half, and broil for a couple of minutes.  Unbelievable.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #90: January 07, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
i had a lot of problems peeling them. probably because i stored them in the fridge.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #91: January 07, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »
I've found a new favorite condiment for on sandwiches.  Instead of gobs of mayo on my turkey sandwiches for lunch, I tried a tablespoon of pesto sauce.  Freaking amazing!  Lots of flavor, good fats in the olive oil, and only about 60 calories per tbsp instead of 100 for mayo.

I'm -5 lbs since 1/1/10.  Pretty happy with that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #92: January 07, 2010, 08:35:28 PM »
i had a lot of problems peeling them. probably because i stored them in the fridge.

for my way, you don't peel them.  You slice with a knife from one end to the other, and open the halves on a cookie sheet.  You can do the same with a banana, but the plantains work better for this application.  Very yummy.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #93: January 07, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
you dont eat the skin right? what, do you eat it like a melon?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #94: January 07, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »
you dont eat the skin right? what, do you eat it like a melon?

Correct, you don't eat the skin.  It's been a long time, I think the skin may just peel off easily then. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #95: January 07, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »
I've found a new favorite condiment for on sandwiches.  Instead of gobs of mayo on my turkey sandwiches for lunch, I tried a tablespoon of pesto sauce.  Freaking amazing!  Lots of flavor, good fats in the olive oil, and only about 60 calories per tbsp instead of 100 for mayo.

I'm -5 lbs since 1/1/10.  Pretty happy with that.

Mustard is basically calorieless. Mustard on everything. Turkey is healthy as hell. I eat a huge amount of turkey and rotisserie chicken because it's so easy and low fat in comparison to say burgers and steaks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #96: January 07, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
Mustard is basically calorieless. Mustard on everything. Turkey is healthy as hell. I eat a huge amount of turkey and rotisserie chicken because it's so easy and low fat in comparison to say burgers and steaks.

my problem is the skin is my favorite part. One of the great things about living here is the Latin American/Salvadorian chicken places- best rotisserie I've ever had

Offline Nathan

« Reply #97: January 07, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
Yeah but I get tired of mustard.  I like it on ham but sometimes I like something different.  And the pesto adds some good fats which you need to have in a meal.

my problem is the skin is my favorite part. One of the great things about living here is the Latin American/Salvadorian chicken places- best rotisserie I've ever had
A buddy at work tried to order a bucket of skin from KFC before, told them he would pay any price.  It was hilarious to watch him fight them.  "You have skinless chicken sandwiches, right?  THEN GIVE ME THE OTHER PART!!!" like he didn't know that the boneless skinless chicken came to the restaurant that way.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: January 07, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
A buddy at work tried to order a bucket of skin from KFC before, told them he would pay any price.  It was hilarious to watch him fight them.  "You have skinless chicken sandwiches, right?  THEN GIVE ME THE OTHER PART!!!" like he didn't know that the boneless skinless chicken came to the restaurant that way.

Their skin is the best, I would buy it sans chicken if I could. I actually think they could have a good product if they sold the fired skin as a fries alternative- but then again I would probably have a heart attack halfway through the bucket

Offline Nathan

« Reply #99: January 07, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Their skin is the best, I would buy it sans chicken if I could. I actually think they could have a good product if they sold the fired skin as a fries alternative
My god that would be sooooo horrible for you though :lol:

Sort of like pork rinds but with chicken skin instead.  Chicken rinds.