Author Topic: Playoff rotation.......pitchers I don't trust  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Slumpbuster

Playoff rotation.......pitchers I don't trust
« Topic Start: September 16, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
Edwin Jackson....he pounds the strike zone but I just think too many of his balls are hittable. Does he lead the staff in gopher balls?
Jordan Zimmerman....has better stuff than Jackson but he still has the melt down inning that costs dearly if the Nats aren't hitting well that day.

I know that we will rely on these guys but I really have more confidence in Detwiler than either of them.

As far as the bullpen goes, they have been up and down a lot the last couple months....they all make me nervous!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Play off rotation.......pitchers I don't trust
« Reply #1: September 16, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
So, basically, you want to start Gio, Detwiler, and Lannan?

:lmao:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: September 16, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
Edwin Jackson is having the best year of his career (strikeout rate well above average, and far less hittable than he has ever been before), one year after he pitched a game in the World Series - a game, and a Series, that his team won. It was actually Jackson's second World Series appearance; in 2008, he pitched two innings in relief, surrendering a solo home run but only one other baserunner.

As for Jordan Zimmermann, I believe he is growing tired after a longer season than he's ever pitched before. But I also believe he is a very good pitcher, and that you spelled his name wrong.

Gio - JZ - Detwiler - Jackson is a very good top 4 that alternates lefty and righty without letting up on the power. I actually believe the key is preserving Detwiler's new tough-guy mentality. If Det shows the competitiveness and endurance he's demonstrated this summer, we will go deep into the playoffs.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #3: September 16, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
I don't trust that kid who pitched against us on Friday, I'd like for him to pitch in the wild card rather than in game one.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: September 16, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
Right now, I think Lannan is a steadier pitcher than Jackson. Yes, Jackson has more flash and zap and sizzle, but Lannan seems to get better results with less drama.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: September 16, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
I'll just respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks Lannan is going to win a spot over Jackson in the post season rotation.

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #6: September 16, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
 As I stated in the post, I know we will be relying on them both but I think Detwiler is more on top of his game lately. Lannon has been a big help but I'm not sure his lack of power will translate to the play offs necasarilly.

So, basically, you want to start Gio, Detwiler, and Lannan?

:lmao:

Offline Hogie

« Reply #7: September 16, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
I have never trusted Gio. He's still an immature headcase who lets the slightest setback get to him.

I trust Zimmermann through 4 innings. That's it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: September 17, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »
Can we reject the rotation that got us the best record in baseball and start fresh with Duke, Maya, Lannan and Atkins?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #9: September 17, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
Edwin Jackson....he pounds the strike zone but I just think too many of his balls are hittable. Does he lead the staff in gopher balls?[...]

He does, with 21...next up is JZimm with 17.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #10: September 17, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »
Can we reject the rotation that got us the best record in baseball and start fresh with Duke, Maya, Lannan and Atkins Wang?
:metal:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #11: September 17, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
Can we reject the rotation that got us the best record in baseball and start fresh with Duke, Maya, Lannan and Atkins?

Your absurd player biases are hilarious sometimes.  Lannan doesn't even belong in the same breath as those other guys.  I know you don't like him and I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but come on dude.  You're doing yourself a massive disservice by continuing to go against the grain just for the sake of it.  Let go of the hate.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #12: September 17, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Serious question here.  If Burnett continues to struggle, for the playoff roster would you keep him off?

If he continues his struggles, my ideal pitching depth would be as follows:

SP - Gio Gonzalez *
SP - Jordan Zimmerman
SP - Edwin Jackson

SP/Long Relief - Ross Detwiler * (if he is hot, he may start over EJax)

Long Relief - John Lannan *
Long Relief - Craig Stammen
LOOGY - Mike Gonzalez *
LOOGY - Tom Gorzelanny *
Short Relief - Ryan Mattheus
Short Relief - Christian Garcia
Set/Up - Storen
Closer - Clippard

That is 12 guys so that leaves a normal strength bench.  If Burnett is in fact healthy, then it makes sense to drop one of the lefties I think, and it would probably be Lannan given that he doesn't come out of the pen.  My idea for Lannan as long relief would be to get him up early to warm up say in a situation where you know your starter is only giving 5 innings (Seems common from our starters) and then he can pitch two to three innings of relief.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #13: September 17, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
I doubt they leave Burnett off, I know he's had his struggles/sore elbow of late, but I think he was more snakebit than anything his last couple of outings.

And you've go to have Lannon on the roster, I think it's very, very risky to go into the post season with only 4 starters, what if a starter (God Forbid, knock wood) gets injured? You going to have Big Sexy start instead?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: September 17, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
Serious question here.  If Burnett continues to struggle, for the playoff roster would you keep him off?

If he continues his struggles, my ideal pitching depth would be as follows:

SP - Gio Gonzalez *
SP - Jordan Zimmerman
SP - Edwin Jackson

SP/Long Relief - Ross Detwiler * (if he is hot, he may start over EJax)

Long Relief - John Lannan *
Long Relief - Craig Stammen
LOOGY - Mike Gonzalez *
LOOGY - Tom Gorzelanny *
Short Relief - Ryan Mattheus
Short Relief - Christian Garcia
Set/Up - Storen
Closer - Clippard

That is 12 guys so that leaves a normal strength bench.  If Burnett is in fact healthy, then it makes sense to drop one of the lefties I think, and it would probably be Lannan given that he doesn't come out of the pen.  My idea for Lannan as long relief would be to get him up early to warm up say in a situation where you know your starter is only giving 5 innings (Seems common from our starters) and then he can pitch two to three innings of relief.

Stammen is middle relief. Gorzo can handle long relief if they need to

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #15: September 17, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Stammen is middle relief. Gorzo can handle long relief if they need to

Rather not have two guys that are left handed be the long relievers.  Yes Gorzo can do it, but Stammen isn't a one inning wonder (most I would use him is two though, same with Gorz)

Also I wouldn't leave Burnett off if he just isn't pitching well.  I still think he is hurt.  I would only leave him off if he is hurt, and he shouldn't "play through it" because it is costing the team.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #16: September 17, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
bring Stras back and have him pitch every game. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #17: September 17, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »

lolz for "can we reject"

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: September 17, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Your absurd player biases are hilarious sometimes.  Lannan doesn't even belong in the same breath as those other guys.  I know you don't like him and I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but come on dude.  You're doing yourself a massive disservice by continuing to go against the grain just for the sake of it.  Let go of the hate.

Way to miss the point! :thumbs:

I just listed the 2012 Syracuse rotation. I wasn't cracking on Lannan. But have at it.

In case you didn't notice, which obviously you did not... I was calling out the posters that want to replace the main reason the Nats are where they are. I simply named the 2012 AAA rotation and said swap them with the MLB rotation.

But, biases swing both ways and you were caught up in one.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #19: September 17, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
Lighten up Francis.  I haven't been around much and am obviously not up to date on all this stuff.  You're a regular so you know I don't follow the minor leagues.

But, biases swing both ways and you were caught up in one.

Sure, you got me.  My message still stands, though.  Just seems like you get really worked up when people praise players that you don't think deserve it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: September 17, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
You're right, usually I do. But I wasn't that time... And if you don't stand up for yourself... No one else is going to do it for you.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #21: September 17, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »

Seriously, we get swept in a series and all of a sudden we hate our entire rotation?  Still one of the best in baseball bar none.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #22: September 17, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
Hmmm so the website dubbed them the "Fantastic Four". So whose Ben Grimm, Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic and the Human Torch?

Offline Slumpbuster

« Reply #23: September 17, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »
The "Count" ( Matheus ) is I think the #1 weakest link in the bullpen. Any way we can replace him for the stretch run/play offs?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Playoff rotation.......pitchers I don't trust
« Reply #24: September 18, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
Garcia is gradually taking over the 7th inning role of bridge to Storen. Mattheus will be used as a low lev reliever in the playoffs.