Author Topic: Listened to Bend Ya Knees featuring L Millz?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Listened to Bend Ya Knees featuring L Millz?
« Reply #25: February 23, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
Tom --- if ever there was an invitation for a new Mod to shift a thread to "Off Topic", this is it. YO. YO.

It is about a Nationals' player. The conversation has gone way off topic, though.

Offline Kilgore Trout

• Don't ask me about HGH or steroids!
« Reply #26: February 23, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
That first statement is an oxymoron, isnt it.

I like alternative rock too, although not as much as i used. i enjoyed it best from 98-2002

I have both of Linkin Park first two cd's(Hybrid Theory is a top ten album ever for me.), i have tha first Incubus cd. tha one with drive. I have POD's satelite cd. i really youth of tha nation.

I have two Limp Bizkit cd's CHock starfish one adn tha one wiht nookie and break stuff.

I dont think KoRn is considered alternive rock but i have their cd too.

I also had Puddle of Mudd( i thought since i liked Blurry i would like their music but thats wasnt tha case.)

Nowadays though, its better for me to just make a mixed cd of alternive rock songs than buy whole cd's

Actually the phrase "Rap Music" is an oxymoron.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #27: February 23, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »
Actually the phrase "Rap Music" is an oxymoron.

alright we get it. you hate rap. dont overdo it.

MrMadison

« Reply #28: February 23, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
most real hip-hop fans are appreciative and open to other types of music, believe it or not.  that'd be because Hip-Hop incorporates elements of many different genres of music into its production style.

sadly, such open-mindedness is not common in regards to people who are fans of other genres of music and their opinions about Hip-Hop.

Most such close-minded people cannot actually explain *why* they don't like Hip-Hop, only that they don't like it and that it "isn't music" and their favorite genre is better...because they said so. any attempt at intelligent discussion on the topic with them degrades into them merely mocking black culture, "ebonics"(god I hate that word), slang, and making generic references to "gangstas", "killing", and "degrading women".  oh, and them saying "yo yo yo yo yo" 40 times because they think they are being funny, when they actually sound like idiots.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #29: February 23, 2008, 05:02:54 PM »
most real hip-hop fans are appreciative and open to other types of music, believe it or not.  that'd be because Hip-Hop incorporates elements of many different genres of music into its production style.

sadly, such open-mindedness is not common in regards to people who are fans of other genres of music and their opinions about Hip-Hop.

Most such close-minded people cannot actually explain *why* they don't like Hip-Hop, only that they don't like it and that it "isn't music" and their favorite genre is better...because they said so. any attempt at intelligent discussion on the topic with them degrades into them merely mocking black culture, "ebonics"(god I hate that word), slang, and making generic references to "gangstas", "killing", and "degrading women".  oh, and them saying "yo yo yo yo yo" 40 times because they think they are being funny, when they actually sound like idiots.
QFT

Sampling and loopin are all big parts of hip-hop production.  i dont see how sportsfan can say that he love alternative hip-hop but hate rap. Anybody who listens to both knows that alternative rock is influence by hip-hop.

Thats tha reason you got ppl saying all hip-hop sound tha same. once ppl say that, i usually just leave tha conversation.

Offline Kilgore Trout

• Don't ask me about HGH or steroids!
« Reply #30: February 23, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
alright we get it. you hate rap. dont overdo it.

Actually I don't hate it. There are a FEW very talented artists out there... but they are very few and far between.

I hate to cite the poor white boy equivalent of a rapper but Eminem (for example) has some thoroughly thoughtful and brilliant lyrics. That's not true of the genre. Most of it is atonal and totally bereft of melody. It more or less defeats the definition of music.

Moreover, I think it's a shame when thuggery masquerades under the guise of artistry. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities in denigrating women or inciting violence.

MrMadison

« Reply #31: February 23, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »
Actually I don't hate it. There are a FEW very talented artists out there... but they are very few and far between.

this is a symptom of music as a whole, not just of the Hip-Hop genre.  Music as a whole has gone way down in the past 20 years.

I hate to cite the poor white boy equivalent of a rapper but Eminem (for example) has some thoroughly thoughtful and brilliant lyrics.

I question how much Hip-Hop you have actually listened to, if this is the best example of "thoughtful and brilliant" lyrics you can come up with.  Yes, he does have them, but so do a great host of rappers that you probably haven't and won't hear of from the MTVs of the world.

That's not true of the genre. Most of it is atonal and totally bereft of melody. It more or less defeats the definition of music.

really?  please do expound.

I don't see how you can say it is "bereft of melody".  you mean because rappers don't "sing"?  have you ever actually tried to "rap" or even tried to simply write a "rap"?  if you have, you'd know that it takes a certain type of rhythm of speech, tone, inflection, breath control and skill for putting words together in order to do so without sounding like a buffoon. it is basically spoken-word poetry,set to music, confined to lesser amount of time, and set at a faster tempo.  so to say that there isn't any talent there is false, in my opinion. it is simply a different skillset than that of a "singer". 

and as for "more or less defeats the definition of music", here is the definition of music:

mu·sic  (myzk)
n.
1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm

and you are saying that Hip-Hop music doesn't fit this definition?  would it fit the definition if there were no words, and it was just the music?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #32: February 23, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »
i could just copy all of the anti rap posts and replace the words "rap" with "country".  at least the new country i have heard.

i dont think many of the songs today, rap, country, or rock will be listened to in like 10 years the way bands like nirvana, pearl jam, guns and roses, and rappers like biggie, tupac, wu-tang are.

« Reply #33: February 23, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »
thats cuz you dont listen to it.

Wrong.  I am quite fond of MF Doom (and his multiple personalities) and Dangermouse.

aint you one of them country music stans????

That could be construed as racist comment but I'll let it slide.  My name is not Stan.

thats like me saying all rock music sounds tha same.

Turn on the radio.  Most of it does.

it's your world tho....

Thank you. 

MrMadison

« Reply #34: February 23, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »
just for the record, I despise pretty much everything that gets mainstream attention nowadays, when it comes to Hip-Hop.

I'm a late-80s/Early 90s baby when it comes to Hip-Hop.  most of what I listen to is prior to 2002.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #35: February 23, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »
just for the record, I despise pretty much everything that gets mainstream attention nowadays, when it comes to Hip-Hop.

I'm a late-80s/Early 90s baby when it comes to Hip-Hop.  most of what I listen to is prior to 2002.

XM Channel 65 is classic hip hop. it probably gets about 60-70% of my listening time

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #36: February 23, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »

That could be construed as racist comment but I'll let it slide.  My name is not Stan.

What's so racist about callin you a stan??

« Reply #37: February 23, 2008, 10:25:50 PM »
What's so racist about callin you a stan??

It's not the ridiculous stan comment.  I am assuming that you think anyone who doesn't listen to guys with gold teeth  who loop a bunch of beats automatically is some poor honky mofo stuck on Garth Brooks.  Which is not the case.  I just question where you suddenly got the impression I am a country fan.

What the hell is a "stan?"

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #38: February 23, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »

I hate to cite the poor white boy equivalent of a rapper but Eminem (for example) has some thoroughly thoughtful and brilliant lyrics. That's not true of the genre. Most of it is atonal and totally bereft of melody. It more or less defeats the definition of music.

Moreover, I think it's a shame when thuggery masquerades under the guise of artistry. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities in denigrating women or inciting violence.

What separates eminem from other rappers besides tha fact he likes to rap about killin his mother and wife??

eminem had a superman song to year before soujah boi

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #39: February 23, 2008, 10:31:50 PM »

a stan is person who likes whatever their a stan of over anything else out almost exclusively

For exapmle:

if you go around saying stff like Gilbert Arenas is tha best bball player in tha history of tha NBA, you're considered a GIlbert Arenas stan,

If you think tha Pac-10 is tha best basketball confenrce in tha ncaa, you're a Pac-10 stan.

If you say stuff like Soujah Boi is tha best rapper out, you're a soujah boi stan.

If random ppl came to this board, they'd say Thundercat is a John Patterson fan.

Hopefully this clears up what a stan is....

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #40: February 23, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »
It's not the ridiculous stan comment.  I am assuming that you think anyone who doesn't listen to guys with gold teeth  who loop a bunch of beats automatically is some poor honky mofo stuck on Garth Brooks.  Which is not the case.  I just question where you suddenly got the impression I am a country fan.

and this is a pretty stereotypical view of what you consider of rapper.

talkin to you about hip-hop is like talkin to my great uncle about it, and in his defeese, he's senile and 76 years old

« Reply #41: February 23, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »

You started with the stereotyping by calling me a country fan simply because I did not agree with your view, so I don't feel too bad about it.

« Reply #42: February 23, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

talkin to you about hip-hop is like talkin to my great uncle about it, and in his defeese, he's senile and 76 years old

I simply gave my opinion on the matter.  You don't like it?  Too bad.

MrMadison

« Reply #43: February 23, 2008, 10:40:55 PM »

Hopefully this clears up what a stan is....

just for further clarification.

a "Stan" is pretty much a mindless fanboy. the term comes from the Eminem Song of the same name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_%28song%29

As a result of the song, the term "Stan" is sometimes used within the hip-hop community to derisively refer to people seen as fanboys of certain artists.

example, AZ is an Elijah Dukes stan.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #44: February 23, 2008, 10:44:29 PM »
You started with the stereotyping by calling me a country fan simply because I did not agree with your view, so I don't feel too bad about it.

I didn;t call you a country music stan. at least that wasnt my intention. i asked you if you was. in an earlier thread about music taste here, i remember tha majority of tha board being country music fans and rock fans.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #45: February 23, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »
AZ is an Elijah Dukes stan.

but just for further clarification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_(song)#Legacy_of_the_song

Yeah, i've been called a Dipset fan a couple of times.