Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61951 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #350: November 10, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
Nice to see windows improving (find a way to move a file while it's open and I'll be happier). If osx gets any closer to ios, I may be returning to the dark side

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #351: November 10, 2011, 09:42:11 AM »
(find a way to move a file while it's open and I'll be happier).

No snark intended but can OS X or Linux do this?

It's a shame what's happening to OS X - it used to be quite advanced but the more I use it the more I find myself thinking "why is this so cumbersome?" and "why doesn't this have X feature that Windows 7 has?"

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #352: November 10, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
No snark intended but can OS X or Linux do this?

It's a shame what's happening to OS X - it used to be quite advanced but the more I use it the more I find myself thinking "why is this so cumbersome?" and "why doesn't this have X feature that Windows 7 has?"
OSX can- it's one of my biggest windows pet peeves

Offline The Chief

« Reply #353: November 10, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
What do you know, it sure does.

Oddly, Both Windows 7 and 8 will let me move an open file, but if I then make further edits to that file and save it, it saves a whole new file in the original location...  that behavior doesn't really make much sense to me, but i guess it would allow for incremental changes/backups.  Not sure most people would get much use out of that but it's better than just saying "NO YOU CAN'T MOVE THAT"

Offline The Chief

« Reply #354: November 10, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Ha, nevermind...  it still does that with Excel files (and so presumably Word, Powerpoint, etc.).  The above behavior was with Notepad.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #355: November 10, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
You can move and rename it.  I'm still on Leopard (MDS is cheap) but what's going on with OS X now that's so bad?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #356: November 10, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
You can move and rename it.  I'm still on Leopard (MDS is cheap) but what's going on with OS X now that's so bad?

It just seems stagnant.  To a tech-savvy-but-casual user like me, there doesn't seem to have been much real effort put into the OS since ~10.5.

Of course "real" Mac users may have a different opinion, I don't know.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #357: November 10, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »
It just seems stagnant.  To a tech-savvy-but-casual user like me, there doesn't seem to have been much real effort put into the OS since ~10.5.

The irony here is that, while I am a SAS/Stata/R guru, I don't know crap about OS outside of the Windows registry smoking dirty anii.  If this new quad core i7 Dell doesn't fall apart on me within a year I might actually go back to Windows and ditch OS X.  Of course, if I start getting registry errors, .DLL file issues, and the BSOD I'm getting back on the WindBLOWS bandwagen.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #358: November 10, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »
My wife will be working at the new Microsoft Store in Tysons. Looks like its a the Microsoft version of the Apple Store

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #359: November 10, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »
My wife will be working at the new Microsoft Store in Tysons. Looks like its a the Microsoft version of the Apple Store

That's strange.  Does M$ sell anything other than software though? 

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #360: November 10, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »

A lot more than you would imagine.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us

Offline The Chief

« Reply #361: November 10, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
Judging from this link it looks like they sell Windows, Office, "Windows Computers", Xbox stuff, and Windows Phones:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/home

They've also got an extensive line of keyboards and mice.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #362: November 10, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
So, basically they're a Best Buy express without the phones?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #363: November 10, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
If the service is better (ie invisible) it might be a nice place to try stuff out before buying from amazon. From what I've read, the stores are more about getting people to play with the products and consider them than actual in store sales.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #364: November 10, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
Free stuff for using IE 9. Some will unlock later.

http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/#/holiday

Offline Slateman

« Reply #365: November 10, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

They've also partnered with Samsung (I think) to sell computers.

But mainly, its an excuse to have a giant Kinect exhibition. Apparently, the demo models will be sold at half price to employees :D

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #366: November 10, 2011, 11:04:11 AM »

Good for her! Commission?

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #367: November 10, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
When is that store opening?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #368: November 10, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »

I'm a "real" Mac user and I agree.  Lion's "press a button and an overlay of icons that looks like an iPad home screen" is dumb as hell.  Just like Win 8's stupid tablet interface thing.

Is it really that confusing for the end user to have a separate OS to work with on tablets?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #369: November 10, 2011, 01:19:07 PM »
8 has multi-monitor taskbar support.  Other options are "Unique to each taskbar and on main taskbar" and just "Unique to each taskbar"

Duplicated on all = all pinned and active icons appear on both taskbars

Unique and main = all pinned and active from all monitors show up on main taskbar, anything on secondary monitor also shows up on secondary taskbar.

Unique to each = active icons only show up on the monitor their corresponding windows are in.  Oddly, there does not seem to be a way to pin things on secondary taskbars (except via the duplication option)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #370: November 10, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

Good for her! Commission?

No. It's just a seasonal job, but I'm hoping that if she does well thy will hire her on full time.

When is that store opening?
I think she said November 17th

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #371: November 10, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »
No. It's just a seasonal job, but I'm hoping that if she does well thy will hire her on full time.
I think she said November 17th

:clap:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #372: November 10, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
She just confirmed that its opening for the public on November 17th.

Apparently, there will be a VIP day for the 16th. For like congressmembers and.big wigs. *shrugs*

Offline Slateman

« Reply #373: November 11, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
Wife is telling me that Cal Ripken Jr will he playing people on Kinect on opening night.

Offline PC

« Reply #374: November 21, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
I'm starting to come around to the Metro UI in Windows 8 because I'm better understanding what their plan with it is.  Right now, there are no real Metro programs (I hate the word "app") so we can't really see what it will be like.  Right now, the desktop is the "app".

As far as the OS itself, it's a remarkable accomplishment particularly at this stage in its development.  It's pre-beta and it's incredibly stable and usable.  I also like reading the Steven Sinofsky blog (Building Windows 8 ) because I like "seeing" the thinking behind the operating system...unlike what they give you in Cupertino.