Author Topic: The Cycling Thread - 2013 Edition  (Read 10028 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The Cycling Thread - 2013 Edition
« Topic Start: January 05, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
Rode 2,500 miles in 2012, hoping to hit 5,000 in 2013. By the way, this was a great find:

Lance Armstrong, who this fall was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles for doping and barred for life from competing in all Olympic sports, has told associates and antidoping officials that he is considering publicly admitting that he used banned performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions during his cycling career, according to several people with direct knowledge of the situation. He would do this, the people said, because he wants to persuade antidoping officials to restore his eligibility so he can resume his athletic career.

Read more here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/sports/cycling/lance-armstrong-said-to-weigh-admission-of-doping.html?ref=sports&_r=1&

Edit by Nathan - Continued from 2012 thread here:  http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25780

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: The Cycling Thread - 2013 Edition
« Reply #1: January 05, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »
Sup player.

Trails are nice in the winter, not as many oblivious pedestrians to avoid.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: January 05, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »
The Mad Monk of Pentagon City inspired me to get a 'cross bike (Cannondale CAADX).  Love it so far, after having been grinding around on a hardtail MTB with 2.25" knobbies for the past 8 or 9 months.  I'll probably be sticking to pavement for a while (at least so long as it remains relatively clean), but I can certainly see how the gearing would allow you to manage steep muddy inclines, even with only a double ring up front. 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #3: January 06, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »
Where moved in Ga, there's this trail that goes from right by my place all the way to Alabama. It's like 61 miles long and then picks up a different trail in Al. I would like to do the whole thing out and back by the end of the summer but right now I just have a FS mountain bike and don't have the money to get a road bike. I may get slick tires for riding on pavement all the time.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: January 07, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
Why do they call this a cyclocross bike? It looks like a road bike to me. I guess I just don't understand the category.

The Mad Monk of Pentagon City inspired me to get a 'cross bike (Cannondale CAADX).  Love it so far, after having been grinding around on a hardtail MTB with 2.25" knobbies for the past 8 or 9 months.  I'll probably be sticking to pavement for a while (at least so long as it remains relatively clean), but I can certainly see how the gearing would allow you to manage steep muddy inclines, even with only a double ring up front.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: January 07, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
While they may look out of place on a FSMB, tires like the Michelin City will make it a whole different ride.

Where moved in Ga, there's this trail that goes from right by my place all the way to Alabama. It's like 61 miles long and then picks up a different trail in Al. I would like to do the whole thing out and back by the end of the summer but right now I just have a FS mountain bike and don't have the money to get a road bike. I may get slick tires for riding on pavement all the time.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: January 07, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »

cycling from Georgia to Alabama in the muck of the late summer in the deep south sounds fun (my aversion to said soupy air might lead me to try that ride in the fall)

• babble on
« Reply #7: January 07, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
It essentially is a road bike, but with slightly different geometry, a higher wheelbase, lower gearing, and wider wheels (generally with knobbies or other heavily treaded tires) and heavy-duty brakes (either cantilevers or disc).  Before it became a distinct niche in the new bike market, 'cross bikes were just steel road frames with special wheels and gearing that crazy Dutch and Belgian people would ride around muddy courses in front of noisy inebriated crowds during the winter road racing offseason. 

Why do they call this a cyclocross bike? It looks like a road bike to me. I guess I just don't understand the category.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #8: January 07, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
Looking for a big year on the bike in '13. When the days get a little longer, hoping to commute the 14 miles each way 4-5 days a week.

Went out riding with my 2 boys this weekend, we did a 5 mile ride on Saturday and another 6 on Sunday.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #9: January 07, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
I've got a much shorter commute, but by mid-February, I'll be on it.

Looking for a big year on the bike in '13. When the days get a little longer, hoping to commute the 14 miles each way 4-5 days a week.

Went out riding with my 2 boys this weekend, we did a 5 mile ride on Saturday and another 6 on Sunday.

• babble on
« Reply #10: January 07, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
The way this winter is looking, there's not going to be the usual black ice lurking on bike paths

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #11: January 07, 2013, 08:17:04 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: January 10, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
MDS:

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Travis Tygart says he spent years probing the biggest doping scheme in sports history, and received death threats, including one chilling warning he would get a bullet to his head.

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #14: January 11, 2013, 02:00:34 AM »
Im new to the world of biking and I'm torn between purchasing a Specialized Allez Sport and an entry level Bianchi. Bike would be primarily used for riding to work but I may take cycling up as a hobby. I've read great reviews about the Specialized, but I like the uniqueness of Bianchis. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #15: January 11, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »
Im new to the world of biking and I'm torn between purchasing a Specialized Allez Sport and an entry level Bianchi. Bike would be primarily used for riding to work but I may take cycling up as a hobby. I've read great reviews about the Specialized, but I like the uniqueness of Bianchis. Any advice would be appreciated.
I bought a '12 SPECIALIZED Secteur Comp Apex Compact on Black Friday. I've only had it out a few times, but I'm very happy with it so far...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: January 11, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
Go for the Bianchi Volpe a great all around steel bike that can do it all - commute, tour, cyclocross. Not the best if you're looking for a pure road bike but a great do-it-all for ~$1,200.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #17: January 11, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
Hey you WNFFers...

Sunday's weather is supposed to be really nice - temps in the mid 60s.

Anyone want to do a ride? Say from Gravelly Point along the GW Trail to Mt Vernon and back?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #18: January 11, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
How long a ride is that?
Hey you WNFFers...

Anyone want to do a ride? Say from Gravelly Point along the GW Trail to Mt Vernon and back?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #19: January 11, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »
How long a ride is that?
Google Maps shows that as a 13.8 mile ride one way - so, 27 miles round trip. Folks can jump on and off along the way...

Or we could shorten it up and meet at the Wilson Bridge. Since the reconstruction, they've added some parking, basketball courts and a playground under and around the bridge at Jones Point.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: January 11, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Hey you WNFFers...

Mighty tempting.  I was thinking about a ride this weekend and that's just about right.  Gotta start time in mind?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #21: January 11, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
Mighty tempting.  I was thinking about a ride this weekend and that's just about right.  Gotta start time in mind?

Sure, how does 1PM sound?

Meet by the boat launch; we should be the only bikers by the boat launch.

• babble on
« Reply #22: January 11, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
If it goes to 70 degrees, the Mt Vernon Trail will be packed with joggers & walkers...still probably worth doing, but it might require 3+ hours.  Beach Drive will also be crowded (it was pretty busy last weekend, despite being in the 40s and damp), but that's a full-on road (closed to cars) rather than a 3.5 foot ribbon of asphalt.  Of course, one can always stop in Old Town on the return trip and forget about the crowds over oysters and beer  :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: January 11, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
If it goes to 70 degrees, the Mt Vernon Trail will be packed with joggers & walkers...still probably worth doing, but it might require 3+ hours.  Beach Drive will also be crowded (it was pretty busy last weekend, despite being in the 40s and damp), but that's a full-on road (closed to cars) rather than a 3.5 foot ribbon of asphalt.  Of course, one can always stop in Old Town on the return trip and forget about the crowds over oysters and beer  :lol:

If it's 70, I'll be on the trail with a dog leash in one hand and a stroller in the other

Offline 0ricky0

« Reply #24: January 11, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
I bought a '12 SPECIALIZED Secteur Comp Apex Compact on Black Friday. I've only had it out a few times, but I'm very happy with it so far...

Now that is one beautiful bike in all white. Do you recommend any component upgrades (105), or keep as is for now? I ask because my main concern is that I'll be mostly traveling to and from work this winter while in uniform (plus steel-toe boots). Will I look stupid...probebly so, but I'd prefer to not have to change at work. I'm not at the point to where I want to by any special clothes to ride; the folks over at Roadbike Review.com seem to cry foul for everyone who doesn't shave their legs and/ or not wearing spandex.

If riding becomes a more serious hobby for me, sure I'll try and look the part, but for now I'd like to take the time and purchase a properly fitted bike that I can grow into for the next couple of years. Currently I ride some mid-90's Trek 700 that is way too big, but it beats wasting money maintaing my car when my commute is only 4 miles round-trip each day.