Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 99188 times)

Offline NationalHeat

Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #1500: December 11, 2012, 08:31:13 AM »
Yeah, those Redskin safties are terrible!

How much cap should they have next offseason? Any estimations out there?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1501: December 11, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
It depends on how much fat they will be able to shave off. Cutting Hall (apparently the bulk of his signing bonus has already been paid and was structured not to prorate beyond 2012), Moss and Brown saves around 16 million. I would also cut Carriker to shave off another 3+ since he's coming off another injury and it took him a while to return to form the last time around. There are other players that can be looked at. Cutting Wilson saves over 4 million. Cutting Merriweather saves another 2.5. Cutting Cofield could also save over 4 million. They could also restructure a few deals like Trent Williams to find salary cap space. Then you have to consider doing a deal for Fred Davis. Plus, acquiring a RT, another safety, probably 2 CB's. They don't have a number 1 draft pick next season so they don't have to worry about assigning money to that pick. And then there's the penalty the owners dropped on them that should be around 18 million. I'm not sure how that will impact the roster but it's certain that without that ridiculous penalty they would be in much better shape. They'll be able to sign Davis plus add a player or two of consequence but they are going to need to work magic to make a significant impact or get lucky in finding a couple of gems in the draft with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1502: December 11, 2012, 09:19:18 AM »
needing two corners is what scares me. I also don't know that I'd cut Moss, he seems to be a safety valve for Griffen and he's having a quietly good season

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1503: December 11, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
It depends on how much fat they will be able to shave off. Cutting Hall (apparently the bulk of his signing bonus has already been paid and was structured not to prorate beyond 2012), Moss and Brown saves around 16 million. I would also cut Carriker to shave off another 3+ since he's coming off another injury and it took him a while to return to form the last time around. There are other players that can be looked at. Cutting Wilson saves over 4 million. Cutting Merriweather saves another 2.5. Cutting Cofield could also save over 4 million. They could also restructure a few deals like Trent Williams to find salary cap space. Then you have to consider doing a deal for Fred Davis. Plus, acquiring a RT, another safety, probably 2 CB's. They don't have a number 1 draft pick next season so they don't have to worry about assigning money to that pick. And then there's the penalty the owners dropped on them that should be around 18 million. I'm not sure how that will impact the roster but it's certain that without that ridiculous penalty they would be in much better shape. They'll be able to sign Davis plus add a player or two of consequence but they are going to need to work magic to make a significant impact or get lucky in finding a couple of gems in the draft with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders.

Are the CBs really the problem as much as the safeties?

I feel like they can get by with upgrading the safeties, getting new nickle and dime backs, re-signing Fred, getting Orakpo back healthy, adding a RT and drafting well.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1504: December 11, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »
our corners are horrid, football outsiders had Hall as the worst corner in 2011 defending passes, and Wilson wasn't much better

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1505: December 11, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
needing two corners is what scares me. I also don't know that I'd cut Moss, he seems to be a safety valve for Griffen and he's having a quietly good season

I agree on Moss but I don't know that they would see it that way. They almost cut him this past offseason. When Moss is not your primary receiver he can be a playmaker because they aren't focused on him. The fact that he was Washington's number 1 receiver for so many years was criminal to the fanbase. Moss is not a true number 1 WR but he can be lethal used out of the slot.

Are the CBs really the problem as much as the safeties?

Absolutely. Hall cannot cover and I don't even see him as being a viable option at safety because he would gamble too much trying to make the big play. Plus, his contract is an albatross. Josh Wilson is not as bad as Hall but he's not ideal to have in the starting lineup. He would be a nice nickel corner but not at that salary. Of course I realize that it may not be possible to get rid of both CB's so keeping Wilson over Hall may be the lesser of two evils. Merriweather can play if he can stay healthy. BTW, Richard Crawford may turn into a decent CB. I'm not suggesting he can be a starter at this point but with a year under his belt he may be ready to contribute in the nickel package next season.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1506: December 11, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »
I agree on Moss but I don't know that they would see it that way. They almost cut him this past offseason. When Moss is not your primary receiver he can be a playmaker because they aren't focused on him. The fact that he was Washington's number 1 receiver for so many years was criminal to the fanbase. Moss is not a true number 1 WR but he can be lethal used out of the slot.

Absolutely. Hall cannot cover and I don't even see him as being a viable option at safety because he would gamble too much trying to make the big play. Plus, his contract is an albatross. Josh Wilson is not as bad as Hall but he's not ideal to have in the starting lineup. He would be a nice nickel corner but not at that salary. Of course I realize that it may not be possible to get rid of both CB's so keeping Wilson over Hall may be the lesser of two evils. Merriweather can play if he can stay healthy. BTW, Richard Crawford may turn into a decent CB. I'm not suggesting he can be a starter at this point but with a year under his belt he may be ready to contribute in the nickel package next season.

So you're telling me the Skins have to replace all four secondary spots, and perhaps find a RT?

Thanks God for RG3.

Speaking of which, if this is the case, I think they should trade Cousins to a QB needy team.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1507: December 11, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
Trading Cousins at this point would be dumb.

I didn't say they have to replace all 4 spots. I said it would be ideal but it's not going to happen. I said keeping Wilson over Hall is probably the way to go at this point and that Merriweather back healthy should take care of one safety spot. Also, that's what happens when you hitch your wagon to bad players. Hall was another of Snyder's moves and re-signing him to that deal after less than half a season restricted what you could with him until next offseason.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1508: December 11, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »
Trading Cousins at this point would be dumb.

I didn't say they have to replace all 4 spots. I said it would be ideal but it's not going to happen. I said keeping Wilson over Hall is probably the way to go at this point and that Merriweather back healthy should take care of one safety spot. Also, that's what happens when you hitch your wagon to bad players. Hall was another of Snyder's moves and re-signing him to that deal after less than half a season restricted what you could with him until next offseason.

There's no way they'd even get the 4th rounder back they used to get Cousins. I think he can be a player, but he hasn't been used enough to even suggest he's worth dealing for yet. Matt Flynn played a bit and was 3 years into the league before he was signed by Seattle.

I'm entirely ready to get rid of Hall, he just doesn't make enough big plays to be worth his salary and/or his mistakes. Wilson is less an issue, but still not a #1 corner. That said, our lack of a pass rush makes our secondary look even worse. Orakpo being out is HUGE. He may not be an elite rusher, but he's a good one and creates the space needed for Kerrigan to get at the qb. As a tandem, they are better than as a singular unit.

I like Carriker, but I agree we can probably let him go and run with Jarvis Jenkins in his spot next year. A RT is a must as is getting Davis under a solid contract. Let's not break the bank to get him, but he'd be a big help to RGIII. We also need to find another MLB. Fletcher is a great one, but his days are numbered if for no other reason than his age. Need someone to take over for him in the future. I'd like to keep Merriweather if he's finally healthy next year, but we still need a lot of safety, hell secondary help.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1509: December 11, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
RGIII is going to get outplayed by Weeden this weekend.  Delusional Cleveland fans told me so.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1510: December 11, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »
RGIII is going to get outplayed by Weeden this weekend.  Delusional Cleveland fans told me so.

Very well could happen, especially if Cousins starts :lol:

As we all know, anything can happen any given Sunday, but I don't see Weeden outplaying Griffin. I can see our Defense letting Griffin down though.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1511: December 12, 2012, 07:54:40 AM »
I do. The defense is still crap. Weeden has been better of late. This is a trap game.I just picked up Weeden in fantasy. I'm expecting a big day for him. Russel Wilson has been meh for me lately.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1512: December 12, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/12/alfred-morris-is-full-of-the-true-spirit-of-christmas/

“Dear Santa,” Morris wrote. “I’m writing not to ask for a gift, but to ask you what you want for Christmas? You give every year and it’s your turn to receive, because it’s not always about receiving. Sincerely, Alfred Morris.”

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1513: December 13, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
What's the snippet of nonsense I heard about RG3 not being 'black enough'? :roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1514: December 13, 2012, 05:20:33 PM »
Just an idiot on espn getting themselves fired

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1515: December 13, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
What's the snippet of nonsense I heard about RG3 not being 'black enough'? :roll:

Beware, the black police are on the prowl.  Conform to their ideals or suffer their derision.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1516: December 13, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »
Just an idiot on espn getting themselves fired

It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Could you imagine the outrage if it had been a white man that said that? I really don't care for Stephen A Smith, but he as right on the money with his comment.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1517: December 13, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
Stephen A. Smith is an ass.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1518: December 14, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
Stephen A. Smith is an ass.

Yes, but he didn't say it this time ...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1519: December 14, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what happens with it. Could you imagine the outrage if it had been a white man that said that? I really don't care for Stephen A Smith, but he as right on the money with his comment.

I'd say I'm done with espn,  but all I watch there now is actual sports (nbc sports network is so much better)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1520: December 14, 2012, 08:06:59 AM »
Yes, but he didn't say it this time ...

I know.   He's still an ass.   I had the opportunity and I took it.   :P

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1521: December 14, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
There's no way they'd even get the 4th rounder back they used to get Cousins. I think he can be a player, but he hasn't been used enough to even suggest he's worth dealing for yet. Matt Flynn played a bit and was 3 years into the league before he was signed by Seattle.

I'm entirely ready to get rid of Hall, he just doesn't make enough big plays to be worth his salary and/or his mistakes. Wilson is less an issue, but still not a #1 corner. That said, our lack of a pass rush makes our secondary look even worse. Orakpo being out is HUGE. He may not be an elite rusher, but he's a good one and creates the space needed for Kerrigan to get at the qb. As a tandem, they are better than as a singular unit.

I like Carriker, but I agree we can probably let him go and run with Jarvis Jenkins in his spot next year. A RT is a must as is getting Davis under a solid contract. Let's not break the bank to get him, but he'd be a big help to RGIII. We also need to find another MLB. Fletcher is a great one, but his days are numbered if for no other reason than his age. Need someone to take over for him in the future. I'd like to keep Merriweather if he's finally healthy next year, but we still need a lot of safety, hell secondary help.

:clap:

I wouldn't even field offers for Cousins for at least one more year. However, I would probably trade him after year 3.

You're absolutely right TerpFan76  (:shock:)  while Orakpo is far from an elite pass rusher he and Kerrigan are perfect for each other.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1522: December 14, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »
sup spider?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1523: December 14, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »
Could you imagine the outrage if it had been a white man that said that?

:lmao:  Why would a white man question any brotha's blackness?

sup spider?

Not much dude. Just got done wasting 30 minutes watching that worthless show on comcast Redskins Nation. The other day the second segment of the show was a replay of the first segment of the show.  :lmao:  The producers of that show must be morons.  :bang: 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1524: December 14, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »
:lmao:  Why would a white man question any brotha's blackness?

Not much dude. Just got done wasting 30 minutes watching that worthless show on comcast Redskins Nation. The other day the second segment of the show was a replay of the first segment of the show.  :lmao:  The producers of that show must be morons.  :bang: 

Because there are idiots out there that would and you know this. I just can't understand a black man calling into question another black man's blackness. It makes no sense. Is he equating him to an "uncle Tom"? As a white guy, I hestitate to even ask anything for fear of coming off as a racist, but I'm seriously confused by this. You have a black man, that's: famous, rich, very intelligent, uses proper English (more than can be said for most athletes...people, black/white/green/yellow etc...) looks to be a future star at qb and more than just another Vick et al and he questions his "blackness" over his choice of a gf? What? He doesn't talk black enough? What the freak?! Can someone please explain this to a out of touch white dude from the sticks? Don't be afraid to dumb it down if need be :lol: I'm not ashamed to say I'm out of touch. Better that than to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

As for Cousins, I agree. Now if someone comes along and offers a first or second this year for him, you have seriously consider it, but otherwise, you gotta get more for him or at least hope you can one or two years from now.