Author Topic: Has anyone here been to Albania?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Count Walewski

Has anyone here been to Albania?
« Topic Start: January 28, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
Shot in the dark I know, but if you've been I'd love to talk.

Offline WerthHisWeight

Re: Has anyone here been to Albania?
« Reply #1: January 29, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
Spent about a week there back in 2007 or 2008.  Tirana, Vlora and Gjirokastra.  Roads suck.  Drink beer from Korce.  What more do you need to know?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: January 29, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »
Been to Croatia, and since they are both in the Adriatic, they night have similarly nice beaches/coastline

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #3: January 29, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »
Spent about a week there back in 2007 or 2008.  Tirana, Vlora and Gjirokastra.  Roads suck.  Drink beer from Korce.  What more do you need to know?

I'm thinking of going to Tirana this fall. My schedule would actually put me in Tirana on Albanian Independence Day (November 28). If I have only two days in Tirana, and one of them is going to be Independence Day, where should I go and where should I eat?

Offline houston-nat

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: January 29, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
There was an "Enver Hoxha Bookstore" in Vancouver back in the day. I guess Lenin was too middle of the road for the reading public of Bolshy Columbia  :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: January 29, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
Shot in the dark I know, but if you've been I'd love to talk.

Not to be a smart arse or nosey but, "why"?    Pleasure, business, personal, government spy  .... 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #7: January 29, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »
Not to be a smart arse or nosey but, "why"?    Pleasure, business, personal, government spy  .... 

Personal. I was in the area and learned that it would cost me less than $100/person round trip to fly to Albania. Who can say no to that?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: January 29, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »
Personal. I was in the area and learned that it would cost me less than $100/person round trip to fly to Albania. Who can say no to that?

Cool  ....  adventures are the best.

• babble on
« Reply #9: January 29, 2015, 07:37:45 PM »
There's a lot to be said for being ahead of the tourism curve

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: January 29, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »
There's a lot to be said for being ahead of the tourism curve

Do women shave their armpits in the EU these days?

Just want to know what to expect this spring...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: January 29, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
I spent a week in Albania one night.  :D

Have been to Kosovo. Food was good. I would expect you could get some good and cheap vittles while you are there.

Offline WerthHisWeight

« Reply #12: January 29, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
I'm thinking of going to Tirana this fall. My schedule would actually put me in Tirana on Albanian Independence Day (November 28). If I have only two days in Tirana, and one of them is going to be Independence Day, where should I go and where should I eat?

Food is solid, if unimaginative.  There is an "old town" district with some decent cafes and restaurants.  The city is not an architectural wonder (Gjirokastro punches that ticket).  Independence Day should be entertaining, but Tirana is not worth much more than that day.  On the bright side, they LOVE Americans, a sentiment that is getting increasingly difficult to find.

I was there on business, so was pretty much programmed the whole time.  Don't recall any restaurant names, but there are guidebooks out there.

Offline WerthHisWeight

« Reply #13: January 29, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Do women shave their armpits in the EU these days?

Some do, some don't.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #14: January 29, 2015, 08:18:48 PM »
My options were Tirana, Pristina (in Kosovo), or Skopje (in Macedonia). The website I was using to check ticket prices crashed whenever I tried to enter Pristina as a destination, and so that narrowed it down to Tirana and Skopje. Tirana seemed to be the more interesting of the two, though if I were going in summer it might be the other way around.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #15: January 29, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
Also if people have an opinion on Prizren (in Kosovo) as a day trip from Tirana, let me know. This is looking pretty attractive right now, only a 3 hour bus ride.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #16: January 29, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
This is looking pretty attractive right now, only a 3 hour bus ride.

With or without the chickens?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #17: January 29, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
Alas, I've never been fortunate enough to ride a train or bus in eastern europe that had chickens on it. The closest I came was on a train in Hungary, where an old woman had some puppies on the train with her.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: January 29, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
Alas, I've never been fortunate enough to ride a train or bus in eastern europe that had chickens on it. The closest I came was on a train in Hungary, where an old woman had some puppies on the train with her.

The missus works with a woman from Albania.    I'll ask her to see if she can get good tips.

• babble on
« Reply #19: January 29, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
I was on a plane with chickens & goats...they all freaked out when we hit turbulence. Good times.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #20: January 29, 2015, 09:34:07 PM »
All I know is that the bad guys in Taken were Albanian.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #21: January 30, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »

Parts of eastern Europe continue to be much more affordable than western Europe. $150/night can get you a room in a really nice Radisson Blu hotel in Riga or Vilnius if you book on the right days, and I'm going back to Tallinn for a week this coming March, staying for just $50/night at a quite decent hotel I stayed at on my earlier trip there five years ago (booked through Travelocity).

I'd like to check out Albania too - they speak quite a distinctive Indo-European language there.

Offline WerthHisWeight

« Reply #22: January 30, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
My options were Tirana, Pristina (in Kosovo), or Skopje (in Macedonia). The website I was using to check ticket prices crashed whenever I tried to enter Pristina as a destination, and so that narrowed it down to Tirana and Skopje. Tirana seemed to be the more interesting of the two, though if I were going in summer it might be the other way around.

Have been to all three.  My order of preference:  Skopje, Tirana, Pristina.

You mentioned a three hour bus ride - I'd be wary of any such estimates.  As I said, the roads suck.  Three hours isn't likely to get you more than about 75-80 miles.  The those three hours will be hellish.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #23: January 30, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
I'm told there is a brand new superhighway through the mountains that connects Tirana and Prizren, and that this is what the bus between the two cities runs on. Supposedly, it is really pretty scenery and also contains the second longest tunnel in the world.

• babble on
« Reply #24: January 30, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
I hear that the country is completely covered with concrete fortifications...Hoxha was a wee bit paranoid I guess.