Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 81191 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #575: April 03, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »
Anyone had the Polish buffalo piss vodka?

Zubrowka? Had it in Warsaw in 2003...not bad actually.

Best Polish vodka I've had though is Luksusowa, amazingly smooth and hangover-free potato vodka that's also amazingly cheap (about $20 for a full litre at the Virginia ABC in my neighbourhood).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #576: April 03, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »
I had a batcrap crazy girlfriend who drank a lot of that stuff.  Whether or not it contributed to her insanity I cannot really say, but part of me is almost glad that it is illegal in the U.S. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #577: April 04, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
Have you had more than one batcrap crazy girlfriend, or did she just have a lot of characteristics that attributed to her batcrap craziness?
I had a batcrap crazy girlfriend who drank a lot of that stuff.  Whether or not it contributed to her insanity I cannot really say, but part of me is almost glad that it is illegal in the U.S.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #578: April 04, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »
yes

Offline KingJeremy

« Reply #579: April 04, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »
Who's pouring what after that game? Gah.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #580: April 07, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
I did not know they had a Jack Daniels booth at the ballpark. It's probably for the best that I didn't fully realize what it was until almost the 7th inning :lol:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #581: April 07, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
I think it was there last season.  Of course, the Red Porch & Red Loft offer anyone a choice for a good stiff one

I did not know they had a Jack Daniels booth at the ballpark. It's probably for the best that I didn't fully realize what it was until almost the 7th inning :lol:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #582: April 07, 2014, 06:49:14 PM »
I think it was there last season.  Of course, the Red Porch & Red Loft offer anyone a choice for a good stiff one

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #583: April 07, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »

I bought one from Karen and topped it off from my private cache for the rest of the game.  Or, that is, until the cache ran dry.

Gotta take full advantage of these good ol' pre-metal detector days.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #584: April 07, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »
Lexan.  I did some research. $8 on Amazon. Qualifies for Prime.

I bought one from Karen and topped it off from my private cache for the rest of the game.  Or, that is, until the cache ran dry.

Gotta take full advantage of these good ol' pre-metal detector days.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #585: April 19, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
A Strongbow cider line I had not previously seen on either side of the pond: Strongbow Gold Apple ('Cut Through Refreshing Taste!' goes the slogan on the can),.

At first sip it threatens to tumble into Woodchuck Amber levels of soda-pop sweetness but on further ingestion one finds there is a bit of backbone to the flavour, and overall I find it fairly satisfying (even so, it may be a bit sweet for some tastes). Wouldn't make a bad nightcap after a night of pub-crawling.

5.0% ABV.

Available at Giant, $6.49 plus tax for a four-pack of 14.9oz cans (same size as current Stella cans).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #586: October 30, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
You know how sometimes people refer to whisk(e)y, vodka and other strong drinks as 'antifreeze'?

Sometimes, it actually is: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/29/fireball-whiskey-recall_n_6067486.html

Offline Dave B

« Reply #587: October 30, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
I figured someone on here had to have mentioned wild turkey 101. It's a steal at $22 per bottle. Makes it hard to justify spending $30 or $40 on other stuff. I happen to have seen a commercial for wild turkey. It popped in my head so I ordered it at a bar. Someone next to me said the 101 is better. So when I saw it at $22, I said what the hell

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #588: October 30, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »
i was at a bar last week and ordered a manhattan with maker's mark.  The bartender, who apparently managed to get a bartending job despite not knowing how to make popular cocktails, filled my glass about halfway with grenadine and simple syrup before adding the bourbon.  I took one sip and threw it out (fortunately it was at a corporate event and I wasn't paying for the drink).

How on earth can you screw up a Manhattan?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #589: October 30, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
I figured someone on here had to have mentioned wild turkey 101. It's a steal at $22 per bottle. Makes it hard to justify spending $30 or $40 on other stuff. I happen to have seen a commercial for wild turkey. It popped in my head so I ordered it at a bar. Someone next to me said the 101 is better. So when I saw it at $22, I said what the hell

That's my staple bourbon.  Buy it in the 1.5L for a real bargain.

Can't find the Rye in 101 lately but they pictured it on the cover of Whisky Advocate this summer so it must still be around somewhere.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #590: October 30, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
i was at a bar last week and ordered a manhattan with maker's mark.  The bartender, who apparently managed to get a bartending job despite not knowing how to make popular cocktails, filled my glass about halfway with grenadine and simple syrup before adding the bourbon.  I took one sip and threw it out (fortunately it was at a corporate event and I wasn't paying for the drink).

Grenadine?  Simple syrup? 

I prefer dry vermouth to sweet, but otherwise like it the conventional way.  Prefered with rye, of course.    :P

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #591: October 30, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
That's my staple bourbon.  Buy it in the 1.5L for a real bargain.

Can't find the Rye in 101 lately but they pictured it on the cover of Whisky Advocate this summer so it must still be around somewhere.

I'm happy this exists

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #592: October 30, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
Has anyone ever tried rye whiskey?  I hear it's pretty good.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #593: October 30, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
Order a rum old-fashioned sometime. From a good bartender.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #594: October 30, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
Has anyone ever tried rye whiskey?  I hear it's pretty good.

Yeah. But I feel they are pretty varied. So don't base your opinion off of just one

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #595: October 30, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
Order a rum old-fashioned sometime. From a good bartender.

rum?  That sounds odd. I do like an old fashioned if there isn't too much sugar in it, but i'm more of a manhattan drinker.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #596: October 30, 2014, 12:49:50 PM »
Yeah. But I feel they are pretty varied. So don't base your opinion off of just one

Sample many would be my advice.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #597: October 30, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »
i was at a bar last week and ordered a manhattan with maker's mark.  The bartender, who apparently managed to get a bartending job despite not knowing how to make popular ****tails, filled my glass about halfway with grenadine and simple syrup before adding the bourbon.  I took one sip and threw it out (fortunately it was at a corporate event and I wasn't paying for the drink).

Why on earth would you screw up perfectly good Makers Mark?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #598: October 30, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »
Why on earth would you screw up perfectly good Makers Mark?

Neat is the only way to go  ....  with any liquor.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #599: October 30, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »
Neat is the only way to go  ....  with any liquor.

Anything clear (vodka/gin) tastes bad enough masked let alone neat, now adding anything so a decent whiskey is blasphemous