Author Topic: I would just like to defend this site's "atmosphere"  (Read 2196 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I would just like to defend this site's "atmosphere"
« Topic Start: September 16, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
I always do the best I can to make this board a welcoming and enjoyable experience for everyone.  I know there have been some notable exceptions, and all I can do for those is apologize and learn from my mistakes, but for the most part I feel like this board is at least as good as any other Nationals board out there, if not better than most.

I run this place on my own dime, on my own time, and I will continue to do so for as long as it's personally & financially feasible.  And I ask nothing in return from anyone here.  If you are offended by something you see here, then I would strongly suggest making use of the "report to moderator" function, which I will say is NOT used very often at all.  I'm not omniscient, and if people don't report things, odds are I'm not going to know about them.

Lately I've made a strong effort to strike a compromise between the two "sides" by creating a semi-private section for potentially offensive topics.  I've asked people not to be "mean" but there is a lot of good-natured joking and dry wit around here and there's no way I'm ever going to be able to define what constitutes a truly offensive remark.  Odds are if there is any uncertainty, I'm going to err on the side of non-censorship.  So again, if someone is offended by something that was said, report it, and I'll deal with it on a case by case basis.  Otherwise how do you expect anything to change?

I'm sad to see members go (or potential members abstain), but I can't help feeling like some of you are being just as "clique-ish" as those you accuse.  This is the internet.  People are going to act like jerks sometimes, and if it's pointed out to me, I will always do my best to mediate the situation, but don't please disparage the entire message board and all of my hard work just because you have a personality conflict with three or four people.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I feel like this board is at least as good as any other Nationals board out there, if not better than most.

Ive searched for nats boards and alot arent as active as this one. People on here have character and when you start to post here alot you can identify each persons. freak what people think about this site. I post here and enjoy it, i couldnt give a rats ass about someone targeting me. If i make a stupid comment or false info and get corrected for it, woopdie-freaking-do, you learn something new every day.

People accusing the whole site because of something one person did is as stupid as jumping off a cliff because your idol did.

If i can have fun while talking about the nationals, then its a win-win situation.

Offline sportsfan882

Good post, Chief.

This is the greatest Nationals board in the universe.  You have done a magnificent job to keep it that way too.  :clap:

This is without a doubt the best Nats Message Board available. From the features it offers to the core community we have here. We don't agree on everything, some of us even aren't the best of friends, but we all come here for the love of the game and Nats. Really, I dare someone to find someplace this active, this organized, and this pleasant.

Don't worry, Chief. We have your back.

MrMadison

This is without a doubt the best Nats Message Board available. From the features it offers to the core community we have here. We don't agree on everything, some of us even aren't the best of friends, but we all come here for the love of the game and Nats. Really, I dare someone to find someplace this active, this organized, and this pleasant.

Don't worry, Chief. We have your back.

what he said.

the only people who have an issue with this board's "atmosphere" are the ones who want to be the alpha male(or female) on the board but for some reason cannot.

Offline eckseid

This board is fine the way it is. If people get offended this easy, maybe they shouldn't be on the internet?

Chief, you're doing a fine job. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
This is the best message board available, and I'm hoping my comment in another thread didn't add to your frustration. It was really meant in support of your efforts, not as a shot at them.

You do a great job with just the right amount of moderating.

I always do the best I can to make this board a welcoming and enjoyable experience for everyone.  I know there have been some notable exceptions, and all I can do for those is apologize and learn from my mistakes, but for the most part I feel like this board is at least as good as any other Nationals board out there, if not better than most.

I run this place on my own dime, on my own time, and I will continue to do so for as long as it's personally & financially feasible.  And I ask nothing in return from anyone here.  If you are offended by something you see here, then I would strongly suggest making use of the "report to moderator" function, which I will say is NOT used very often at all.  I'm not omniscient, and if people don't report things, odds are I'm not going to know about them.

Lately I've made a strong effort to strike a compromise between the two "sides" by creating a semi-private section for potentially offensive topics.  I've asked people not to be "mean" but there is a lot of good-natured joking and dry wit around here and there's no way I'm ever going to be able to define what constitutes a truly offensive remark.  Odds are if there is any uncertainty, I'm going to err on the side of non-censorship.  So again, if someone is offended by something that was said, report it, and I'll deal with it on a case by case basis.  Otherwise how do you expect anything to change?

I'm sad to see members go (or potential members abstain), but I can't help feeling like some of you are being just as "clique-ish" as those you accuse.  This is the internet.  People are going to act like jerks sometimes, and if it's pointed out to me, I will always do my best to mediate the situation, but don't please disparage the entire message board and all of my hard work just because you have a personality conflict with three or four people.

Offline The Chief

This is the best message board available, and I'm hoping my comment in another thread didn't add to your frustration.

You do a great job with just the right amount of moderating.

No, it has nothing to do with you, I'm just frustrated with the self-styled refugees who seem to feel it necessary to go around conducting a smear-campaign against my work simply because they have a grudge against a handful of people whom I've never even met.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I did go read the 'fugees posts. Not cool.
No, it has nothing to do with you, I'm just frustrated with the self-styled refugees who seem to feel it necessary to go around conducting a smear-campaign against my work simply because they have a grudge against a handful of people whom I've never even met.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Well, some people never grow out of thumb sucking.  Thanks for all you do.

MrMadison

I understand the sentiment.  it isn't very classy of them at all.

don't let them frustrate you, Chief. like I said, it is people who want to be the Alpha-Male/Female of the forum, but are not for whatever reason.

Offline BerkeleyNat

I just have to say that I agree with the others about this board. It is hands down the best Nationals board there is. Whatever problems that do exist will work themselves out. We all have to remember that we're here because we love the Nationals. That is one thing that we all have in common. We can work on the rest.  :)

Offline UMDNats

im just happy to be able to come somewhere and talk about baseball

not to mention ive learned more about baseball from here than i learned in 14 years.

Offline Dave B

man, where have i been the past couple of days? looks like i missed some ****

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Chief this board is awesome and that's mostly because you do a fabulous job in allowing people to be themselves and contribute color to the atmosphere. The problem is that some people prefer to be in the comfortable environment of "Pleasantville" and want to impose that on the rest.

I haven't been to the MLB board in months so I didn't get to see the smears that have been launched but that only proves that some people cannot accept or allow others to be themselves.

nospinzone1

This board is fine the way it is. If people get offended this easy, maybe they shouldn't be on the internet?

Chief, you're doing a fine job. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

AMEN!

Offline hammondsnats

we love you chief!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Words don't exist that could better describe my thoughts over the past week or two.

Thanks for writing this Chief.

Offline nats2playoffs

With the new opt-in Mature hotbox section, I'd prefer that users NOT have to log-in anymore to simply be able to READ postings in the separate Off Topic section.  The ability to read the other threads there can potentially make this Forum more inviting to newcomers.  They still have to become a member and log-in to post anything there. 

Offline The Chief

With the new opt-in Mature hotbox section, I'd prefer that users NOT have to log-in anymore to simply be able to READ postings in the separate Off Topic section.  The ability to read the other threads there can potentially make this Forum more inviting to newcomers.  They still have to become a member and log-in to post anything there. 

(Image removed from quote.)

I'll take it into consideration, but considering how much personal information some people have divulged in the regular OT section, I still think it best that it be inaccessible to the general public.

nospinzone1

I always do the best I can run this place on my own dime, on my own time, and I will continue to do so for as long as it's personally & financially feasible.

i think you are right in doing on your own dime, however, if you ever need help in that area you can count on me, without wstrings attached or any favoritism

Offline The Chief

I always do the best I can run this place on my own dime, on my own time, and I will continue to do so for as long as it's personally & financially feasible.

Quote from: nospinzone1
i think you are right in doing on your own dime, however, if you ever need help in that area you can count on me, without wstrings attached or any favoritism

I appreciate that but no worries.  We'd have to get quite a bit bigger before I really considered it a substantial financial drain.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
I find it necessary to post so that people don't come to the wrong conclusions and get me confused with who's doing what -

I haven't and never will post any derogatory message about this board.  Although I didn't agree with the censoring of one of my postings in one of the threads here, I still believe this is indeed the best place to go as a Nats fan on the internet. 

That being said...I think there should be a better effort on the part of some to be more open to other points of view.  Everyone has a different "history" and come from different perspectives.  There is definately a feeling of being "ganged-upon" when you happen to be in the minority around here.  This can create a feeling of being unwelcome and that their opinions and feelings don't matter which I think is what happened with the incident which spawned this particular thread.

This is not WNFF doing this though...and Chief and/or the moderators here have nothing to do with it.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
I guess I am spoiled. I tried looking at the MLB board yesterday, and it seemed downright primitive. It has none of the functionality of this Board--and nary a cool icon. :pimp:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Well, I started the presidential race thread and it was a mistake.  Also, I had a hand in your feeling ganged up on.  But isn't that a likely event when an issue is raised that doesn't split the population evenly ?  Since this is an urban area, isn't it likely there will be more liberals than conservatives ?  I think this occurred naturally, without any attempt to gang up or be close minded.   

I find it necessary to post so that people don't come to the wrong conclusions and get me confused with who's doing what -

I haven't and never will post any derogatory message about this board.  Although I didn't agree with the censoring of one of my postings in one of the threads here, I still believe this is indeed the best place to go as a Nats fan on the internet. 

That being said...I think there should be a better effort on the part of some to be more open to other points of view.  Everyone has a different "history" and come from different perspectives.  There is definately a feeling of being "ganged-upon" when you happen to be in the minority around here.  This can create a feeling of being unwelcome and that their opinions and feelings don't matter which I think is what happened with the incident which spawned this particular thread.

This is not WNFF doing this though...and Chief and/or the moderators here have nothing to do with it.