Author Topic: Where Were You Born?  (Read 4998 times)

Offline saltydad

Where Were You Born?
« Topic Start: June 18, 2007, 01:07:54 AM »
Washington is such a transient city, I thought it might be interesting to see where we all come from.

I was born in D.C.; lived D.C., MD., NY, Calif., Texas (Army), N.C. (Army), S.C. (Army), R.I., Philly, and a little vacation in SE Asia (Army)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Where Were You Born?
« Reply #1: June 18, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »
Born in DC, raised in Bangkok, lived in Miami, went to school in Boston, Vanvouver Canada, Wisconsin, lived in London and South Africa, and now back (happily, with baseball) in Washington.  Good to be home...best place in the world.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #2: June 18, 2007, 01:37:47 AM »
Born & Raised in the City of Alexandria, VA.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: June 18, 2007, 05:32:01 AM »
I was born in Leesburg, but grew up in Herndon.  I've lived in Bridgeport/Clarksburg WV, Crofton, Sterling, Fairfax, and have spent most of my adult life in Boca Raton FL.

« Reply #4: June 18, 2007, 08:57:40 AM »
Born in Falls Church, VA and raised in Springfield, VA.  Lived in Radford, VA and Charlottesville, VA before finally moving to where I am currently Wilmington, NC.

nospinzone1

« Reply #5: June 18, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
Born in Chicago area but grew up in San Francisco Bay Area. Lived in Germany (south of Munich) for three years, then back to northern California for a few years before moving to northern Virginia.

I envy some of you that were able to live in other countries for a while.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: June 18, 2007, 09:48:51 AM »
Born in DC, grew up in Md, live in Va now.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #7: June 18, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »
Born and raised in Colchester, Vermont, lived in DC for six years of college @ GW, and now happily back in Burlington, Vermont.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #8: June 18, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »
Born at Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, VA.  Lived for 1st 3 yrs in Sterling.  then moved to Ashburn closer to grandparents.  My dad's still in that same house.  Went to college in Danville, VA.  Moved back home afterwards for a bit, then had a roomie in Leesburg for a year.  Then back to Ashburn, then down to Fairfax where I have been since 93 or 94, 94, I think.  When Dan & I got married in 96, we lived in Vienna for 18 mo.  We've been in Fairfax City since March '98.

Hey NatsAddict!  Since you were in Loudoun back when, you might know my family, either side.  Still go to Leesburg to the dentist, Dr. Birkitt on Loudoun Street, close to where the old A&P used to be.  My dad's father's family was from Sterling.  He mother's family moved to Ashburn when Gran was about 6 or so.  My mother's side: her father grew up and stayed most of his life in Ashburn (now he and my grandmother live way down on 621 south of 'burg).  My grandmother lived her teen years in Sterling.  And being in Herndon, you might remember Old Sterling/Church Rd.  My grandparents had a general store there, Crosen's.  Not that often I come across a real native to those parts.  Family names are Crosen, Fletcher, Wortman & Munroe.  Related to the Fishbacks, Lawsons and Gardners too.  Wait, if you were born in Leesburg, that doesn't say you lived there.  Is that the case?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #9: June 18, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
Born at Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, VA.  Lived for 1st 3 yrs in Sterling.  then moved to Ashburn closer to grandparents.  My dad's still in that same house.  Went to college in Danville, VA.  Moved back home afterwards for a bit, then had a roomie in Leesburg for a year.  Then back to Ashburn, then down to Fairfax where I have been since 93 or 94, 94, I think.  When Dan & I got married in 96, we lived in Vienna for 18 mo.  We've been in Fairfax City since March '98.

Hey NatsAddict!  Since you were in Loudoun back when, you might know my family, either side.  Still go to Leesburg to the dentist, Dr. Birkitt on Loudoun Street, close to where the old A&P used to be.  My dad's father's family was from Sterling.  He mother's family moved to Ashburn when Gran was about 6 or so.  My mother's side: her father grew up and stayed most of his life in Ashburn (now he and my grandmother live way down on 621 south of 'burg).  My grandmother lived her teen years in Sterling.  And being in Herndon, you might remember Old Sterling/Church Rd.  My grandparents had a general store there, Crosen's.  Not that often I come across a real native to those parts.  Family names are Crosen, Fletcher, Wortman & Munroe.  Related to the Fishbacks, Lawsons and Gardners too.  Wait, if you were born in Leesburg, that doesn't say you lived there.  Is that the case?

I was born in Leesburg (my daughter was born in Fairfax Hospital), but lived in Herndon, and spent a lot of time in Loudoun.  I know Sterling & Church both very well.  The names Fishback, Lawson, Gardner, and Fletcher are all familiar.  There are some Fletchers from Ashburn that are relatives of relatives (Jones and Smeltzer).  Crosens also sounds familar.  We had friends the lived on Church Rd, and I remember often walking down to a little store - I think it was gray on the outside.  From the time I was 3, I lived off Sterling Rd, just inside Herndon and about 100' from the Loudoun county line.  Before that, I lived on what is now Elden St (or Eldon St - every other street sign had it spelled differently), but was then Washington St.  That house was torn down, and the strip mall where K-Mart is now (assuming it's still there).  Very close to the spot where our house once stood was a little software store, Software Center, which is were I met my wife 23 years later.   Do you remember a place called the Mighty Midget?  I was a little diner built out of the nose of a WWII bomber, and was in the middle of Leesburg.  I think its gone now, but I must have had a couple hundred meals there.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: June 18, 2007, 12:46:12 PM »
FYI . I was always intrigued by the place on trips to Leesburg but have never stopped there.

http://www.mightymidgetkitchen.com/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=cityguide/profile&id=1096184&categories=Restaurants

Offline Jayman77

« Reply #11: June 18, 2007, 01:12:25 PM »
Born in Washington, DC, and I grew up in Germantown and then Gaithersburg, moved back to Germantown for a bit, met my wife and moved in with her down in Vienna, VA, moved to Chantilly, then just moved back to Vienna this past April.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: June 18, 2007, 01:38:10 PM »
I was born in Leesburg (my daughter was born in Fairfax Hospital), but lived in Herndon, and spent a lot of time in Loudoun.  I know Sterling & Church both very well.  The names Fishback, Lawson, Gardner, and Fletcher are all familiar.  There are some Fletchers from Ashburn that are relatives of relatives (Jones and Smeltzer).  Crosens also sounds familar.  We had friends the lived on Church Rd, and I remember often walking down to a little store - I think it was gray on the outside.  From the time I was 3, I lived off Sterling Rd, just inside Herndon and about 100' from the Loudoun county line.  Before that, I lived on what is now Elden St (or Eldon St - every other street sign had it spelled differently), but was then Washington St.  That house was torn down, and the strip mall where K-Mart is now (assuming it's still there).  Very close to the spot where our house once stood was a little software store, Software Center, which is were I met my wife 23 years later.   Do you remember a place called the Mighty Midget?  I was a little diner built out of the nose of a WWII bomber, and was in the middle of Leesburg.  I think its gone now, but I must have had a couple hundred meals there.

Yes, you went to my grandparents' store.  They sold the place when I was 3 or so, about 35 years ago now.  It's right next to the old Sterling School. And yes, I loved the midget kitchen!  It's back, just not w/ the "original menu" or in the original location.  It's now next to Market Station (Harrison St. area) and has a bit more of a gourmet menu - blechkt!  There was a writeup in Southern Living a month or two ago about it.  I used to go there for the BEST cheeseburgers when I was in high school!

I'm sure the Fletchers you are referring to are from my line!  My Grandma Crosen's maiden name was Fletcher.  She was one of 10 kids and they lived on 642 (Hay Road).  My Uncle Charlie Fletcher married Gertrude Smith of the Sterling/Herndon area.  He just died 2 years ago.  Gran died just over 12 yrs. ago.  Her youngest brother, Uncle Jack lives around Sterling Rd. in Herndon now, I think.  Close to where you grew up!  Shoot you may now him! And Uncle Charlie's son Tom lives on Sterling Ct. in Herndon.

And yes, K-Mart is still there. I know where you're talking about!  hey do you remember Doc Walker's Restaurant?  He had the best potato skins!  I spent a lot of time in Herndon, too.  Went there w/ Granddaddy and Grandma bunches of times.  I love those old houses along Elden St!  All our family funerals have been at that Green's Funeral Home.  Grandaddy's was one of the biggest ones they ever had, on account of all of Sterling knowing him from the Store.

How cool is this!  Imagine that someone in FL, so far away from me here, that I meet on the internet, just happens to be from the same neck of the woods as me and could even be someone I'm distantly related to !   It's a very small world!!  Thanks for the nostalgic roadtrip!  I have to take the kids out there more often and esp. to the old store!  My dad grew up in that place, they lived on top of it.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #13: June 18, 2007, 03:39:36 PM »
Yes, you went to my grandparents' store.  They sold the place when I was 3 or so, about 35 years ago now.  It's right next to the old Sterling School. And yes, I loved the midget kitchen!  It's back, just not w/ the "original menu" or in the original location.  It's now next to Market Station (Harrison St. area) and has a bit more of a gourmet menu - blechkt!  There was a writeup in Southern Living a month or two ago about it.  I used to go there for the BEST cheeseburgers when I was in high school!

I'm sure the Fletchers you are referring to are from my line!  My Grandma Crosen's maiden name was Fletcher.  She was one of 10 kids and they lived on 642 (Hay Road).  My Uncle Charlie Fletcher married Gertrude Smith of the Sterling/Herndon area.  He just died 2 years ago.  Gran died just over 12 yrs. ago.  Her youngest brother, Uncle Jack lives around Sterling Rd. in Herndon now, I think.  Close to where you grew up!  Shoot you may now him! And Uncle Charlie's son Tom lives on Sterling Ct. in Herndon.

And yes, K-Mart is still there. I know where you're talking about!  hey do you remember Doc Walker's Restaurant?  He had the best potato skins!  I spent a lot of time in Herndon, too.  Went there w/ Granddaddy and Grandma bunches of times.  I love those old houses along Elden St!  All our family funerals have been at that Green's Funeral Home.  Grandaddy's was one of the biggest ones they ever had, on account of all of Sterling knowing him from the Store.

How cool is this!  Imagine that someone in FL, so far away from me here, that I meet on the internet, just happens to be from the same neck of the woods as me and could even be someone I'm distantly related to !   It's a very small world!!  Thanks for the nostalgic roadtrip!  I have to take the kids out there more often and esp. to the old store!  My dad grew up in that place, they lived on top of it.

I think the world just got a whole lot smaller.

Is your Uncle Jack married to Aunt Doris, and do you have cousins Dale, Doug and Dawn?  I've known them for years, since probably before kindergarten, and I played ball with both Dale and Doug.  They live on Sterling Ct, too - right next door to the house where I grew up (my buddy down here that is also a Nats fan lived there before the Fletchers).  They moved in there about 30 years ago.  I don't immediately recall a Tom Fletcher.  Wait a second, I think Jack's first name is Tom - it seems like it was T. Jack Fletcher, but I always knew him as Jack; well, actually, Mr. Fletcher.   They are some of the sweetest people on earth.  I was up that way to teach a class out near Dumfries about five years ago, and stopped by to see them.  We sat out on the back porch and talked for a couple hours.  That was the last time I saw any of them.  If I remember it all correctly, Mrs. Fletcher's maiden name was Smeltzer.  Mrs. Smeltzer's sister married to my mom's step-father's brother.  I don't know what relationship there may be, maybe cousins so many times removed, but it sounds like the family trees may share some branches.

I used to go to Rick Walker's Scoreboard every Redskin Sunday.  It was in the old Dime Store.  Even when I lived in Crofton I'd drive over, and a whole bunch of us met there.  We'd order tons of appetizers and graze through the game.  The potato skins were my favorite!  I have lot's and lot's of fond memories of that place.  The first meal my wife and I had together, before we were even dating, was at the Scoreboard.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: June 18, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »
Born in Philadelphia, moved to Potomac when I was 3.

nospinzone1

« Reply #15: June 18, 2007, 03:49:50 PM »
Cuba. Moved to the yuma in 1954, D..C. more specifically and moved to Rockville in 19?
four languages, Spanish, Spanglish, English and yiddish.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #16: June 18, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »
Born in Philadelphia, moved to Potomac when I was 3.

Is this the origin of your Steelers fanhood?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #17: June 18, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »
I think the world just got a whole lot smaller.

Is your Uncle Jack married to Aunt Doris, and do you have cousins Dale, Doug and Dawn?  I've known them for years, since probably before kindergarten, and I played ball with both Dale and Doug.  They live on Sterling Ct, too - right next door to the house where I grew up (my buddy down here that is also a Nats fan lived there before the Fletchers).  They moved in there about 30 years ago.  I don't immediately recall a Tom Fletcher.  Wait a second, I think Jack's first name is Tom - it seems like it was T. Jack Fletcher, but I always knew him as Jack; well, actually, Mr. Fletcher.   They are some of the sweetest people on earth.  I was up that way to teach a class out near Dumfries about five years ago, and stopped by to see them.  We sat out on the back porch and talked for a couple hours.  That was the last time I saw any of them.  If I remember it all correctly, Mrs. Fletcher's maiden name was Smeltzer.  Mrs. Smeltzer's sister married to my mom's step-father's brother.  I don't know what relationship there may be, maybe cousins so may times removed, but it sounds like the family trees may share some branches.

I used to go to Rick Walker's Scoreboard every Redskin Sunday.  It was in the old Dime Store.  Even when I lived in Crofton I'd drive over, and a whole bunch of us met there.  We'd order tons of appetizers and graze through the game.  The potato skins were my favorite!  I have lot's and lot's of fond memories of that place.  The first meal my wife and I had together, before we were even dating, was at the Scoreboard.

HOLY COW!!! YES YES YES!!!  That's my Aunt Doris!  The only cousin I ever really knew was Dawn.   You see, Gran being one of 10 and all 10 having anywhere from 1-5 kids, then you add their spouses, children and grandchildren and great grandchildren and you have anywhere from 200-300 people in your family!  And yes, Uncle Jack is a total sweetie!  I don't hardly ever see him.  But I remember him coming to Gran's house soon before and after she died.  We never left her alone and there were about 45 of us in the family then.  But he and Uncle Charlie have always been the kindest and gentlest men we had in our family!  So yes, by some dog-leg line we're distant "cousins" a bunch of times removed kinda sorta.  :D

I called my dad's sister, my Aunt Linda who was married to a Lawson for 35 years (had 2 kids Donna & Scott now ages 48 & 45) and she told me that yes, Smeltzer is Aunt Doris' maiden name.  As far as Tom goes, we always called him Tommy even though he's about your age now.  Old habit die hard.  Shoot Scott still calls me Kimmy, Kimster,  Kimmysue, whatever.  And I'm 38!  Frankly though, I still call him Skeeter, Skeets, Skeeter-eater, Skeetszo.  :D  We can be a rather silly clan!  :)

Neat that you have great memories of the Scoreboard, too!  I sure miss that place!  Herndon sure isn't what it used to be!

So, nice to meet ya, cuz!   :lol:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #18: June 18, 2007, 05:43:14 PM »
Born in San Diego to a Navy family so I moved round a lot - many points in California, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, New Jersey plus a prior residence in this area (1962-66 - including first-ever live sporting event, Senators vs Red Sox at RFK); attended university at North Dakota; have resided in this area permanently from 1977, in south Arlington from 1979.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #19: June 18, 2007, 06:37:06 PM »
HOLY COW!!! YES YES YES!!!  That's my Aunt Doris!  The only cousin I ever really knew was Dawn.   You see, Gran being one of 10 and all 10 having anywhere from 1-5 kids, then you add their spouses, children and grandchildren and great grandchildren and you have anywhere from 200-300 people in your family!  And yes, Uncle Jack is a total sweetie!  I don't hardly ever see him.  But I remember him coming to Gran's house soon before and after she died.  We never left her alone and there were about 45 of us in the family then.  But he and Uncle Charlie have always been the kindest and gentlest men we had in our family!  So yes, by some dog-leg line we're distant "cousins" a bunch of times removed kinda sorta.  :D

I called my dad's sister, my Aunt Linda who was married to a Lawson for 35 years (had 2 kids Donna & Scott now ages 48 & 45) and she told me that yes, Smeltzer is Aunt Doris' maiden name.  As far as Tom goes, we always called him Tommy even though he's about your age now.  Old habit die hard.  Shoot Scott still calls me Kimmy, Kimster,  Kimmysue, whatever.  And I'm 38!  Frankly though, I still call him Skeeter, Skeets, Skeeter-eater, Skeetszo.  :D  We can be a rather silly clan!  :)

Neat that you have great memories of the Scoreboard, too!  I sure miss that place!  Herndon sure isn't what it used to be!

So, nice to meet ya, cuz!   :lol:

This is grainey picture of the 1972 Arlington Trust Company Angels.  Mom couldn't figure out how to work the scanner, so she faxed it.  I cropped it a bit.  That's your cousin Dale on the back left, your Uncle Jack on the back right, and that's me on the front right.  I think Dale was 15, and I was 13.  Well, I know I was 13.

One thing that is perhaps coincidental, but which you may want to take note if you didn't know - Dawn was diagnosed with Hodgkins when she was about 18 or 20.  I remember when she was going through chemo, and often thought of them when reading the posts about Andrew.  One day the regular doctor wasn't there, but a pediatrician was, so they gave her the child's dosage of the meds.  She didn't get as sick, and, being small, they kept her on that dosage the rest of the way through the treatment.  Like Andrew, she fully recovered, and has been doing great ever since.

Next time you hear from them, tell them Mike said hello.  I'll probably stop by and see them when I'm up there for some Nats games in mid July.  Actually, I'll get their phone number from mom & dad (they still talk a few times a year even though mom & dad moved away in 1993) and see if they'd like to go to a game, too.

This is all a very nice surprise!

One of my mom's brothers was named Skeeter. We just called him Skeez  :P

I get lost in Herndon now.  Last time I was there, I tried to get from the K-Mart center to our last home in Fairfax.   I'm not certain of the street names, but I think the route was Van Buren/Foxmill/West Ox.  I never even found Van Buren, and about a half hour later was still cruising through Herndon.   I finally gave up, took Elden out of town to 50, and got there that way.  I still miss it.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #20: June 18, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »
Born in Taiwan, raised in Montgomery County.  Still live here.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #21: June 18, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
Born in DC, still in DC

Offline kimnat

« Reply #22: June 18, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »
This is grainey picture of the 1972 Arlington Trust Company Angels.  Mom couldn't figure out how to work the scanner, so she faxed it.  I cropped it a bit.  That's your cousin Dale on the back left, your Uncle Jack on the back right, and that's me on the front right.  I think Dale was 15, and I was 13.  Well, I know I was 13.

(Image removed from quote.)

One thing that is perhaps coincidental, but which you may want to take note if you didn't know - Dawn was diagnosed with Hodgkins when she was about 18 or 20.  I remember when she was going through chemo, and often thought of them when reading the posts about Andrew.  One day the regular doctor wasn't there, but a pediatrician was, so they gave her the child's dosage of the meds.  She didn't get as sick, and, being small, they kept her on that dosage the rest of the way through the treatment.  Like Andrew, she fully recovered, and has been doing great ever since.

Next time you hear from them, tell them Mike said hello.  I'll probably stop by and see them when I'm up there for some Nats games in mid July.  Actually, I'll get their phone number from mom & dad (they still talk a few times a year even though mom & dad moved away in 1993) and see if they'd like to go to a game, too.

This is all a very nice surprise!

One of my mom's brothers was named Skeeter. We just called him Skeez  :P

I get lost in Herndon now.  Last time I was there, I tried to get from the K-Mart center to our last home in Fairfax.   I'm not certain of the street names, but I think the route was Van Buren/Foxmill/West Ox.  I never even found Van Buren, and about a half hour later was still cruising through Herndon.   I finally gave up, took Elden out of town to 50, and got there that way.  I still miss it.

Oh my goodness!!!  That is Uncle Jack!!!!  Too wild!!  I would have responded earlier, but I got so excited (& Dan wanted to check some music stuff out) that I called my Aunt Linda and told her (called my dad too, but he was busy watching the game).  We had a great talk and reminisced about Dawn's cancer fight.  I had completely forgotten all about her having Hodgkin's too!  I have to call Aunt Doris tomorrow and find out exactly what type of Hodkin's she had.  So, there has to be a family link/weakness for that disease in my family!  At least now we know where it "came" from.  I'll be sure to tell them hello from you!

Yes, Herndon has changed tremendously.  Shoot, so's Sterling & Ashburn!  I got lost in the Broadlands part of Ashburn about a year ago!  I miss the way things used to be.  I miss the old family connections of knowing everyone's family because of a relation.   I'm so glad this thread got started!  It's nice to "meet" you!  Please be sure to contact me when you make it up here in July!

nospinzone1

« Reply #23: June 18, 2007, 10:50:56 PM »
well....I get lost anytime I go into Virginia. Ask Kim how many calls I had to make beingnear the church where Andrew's shindig was going on.

well, it is not only Virginia....I get lost everywhere. I need a GPS but they are so darned expensive.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #24: June 19, 2007, 12:43:38 AM »
Cuba. Moved to the yuma in 1954, D..C. more specifically and moved to Rockville in 19?
four languages, Spanish, Spanglish, English and yiddish.
fishte a bissel?