Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nats vs. Astros, Game 4  (Read 25831 times)

Offline PC

Gameday Thread: Nats vs. Astros, Game 4
« Reply #125: July 24, 2005, 04:25:20 PM »
Quote from: "mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)"
Quote from: "Senators2005"
You know what we got?  I hate to say it...I really do.  I love my Nats...but we got a great pitching staff and a AAA batting squad.   :(

Oh for GAWD's sake. Get a grip.
We got a lineup that has been hampered by injuries all season. We don't have a lot of power but the only guy you can say is putting up AAA results is Guzman.

What Nats do NOT have is a great lineup for RFK or a real monster of a power guy. That'll be taken care of in the offseason when the payroll actually hits a plausible amount for a major market team. In the meantime, try to retain your perspective.

I think you're missing the point, well missing my point, at least.  We may not have a power hitter but we still can do the best we can with what we have.  This starts with Frank.  When he starts Guzman (which he should rarely do) you have to adjust the lineup for the fact that Guzman is dead weight in the batting order.  You have to have your best hitters in the lineup around Guzman and hope they get hot.  Schneider is a better hitter than Bennett.  Church is a better hitter than Byrd.  Don't start Bennett and Byrd with Guzman.

Then the batters just have to be smart.  Guillen swinging at a 3-0 pitch was the crowning achievement of batters playing like little leaguers.