Author Topic: Worst offensive performance in Nationals history - 2012 edition  (Read 14373 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I love the Nats. I love being a Nats fan, but these last few games have been painful

And freak Angel Herndandez, how does that clown still have a job?  For cripes sakes - MLB Umpires SUCK this year. It's been an epidemic of SUCK

GAH

Craptastic Offense + Assload of SUCK from the umpires makes MLB hard to watch right now

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
"We face some pitchers everybody jumps on, and they look like Sandy Koufax over there." — Davey

He's getting restless at least.

Just getting this at the top of pg. 11

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
No crap

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP

"We face some pitchers everybody jumps on, and they look like Sandy Koufax over there." -- Davey

Offline RobDibblesGhost

And freak Angel Herndandez, how does that clown still have a job? 

LOL.  He and Rick Eckstein must have some great secrets.  At least MLB broke up the umpiring crews so that Joe West and Hernandez aren't on the same crew anymore.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
LOL.  He and Rick Eckstein must have some great secrets.  At least MLB broke up the umpiring crews so that Joe West and Hernandez aren't on the same crew anymore.

Which is actually TWICE as bad, because now you have TWO crews that TOTALLY SUCK instead of just ONE.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Which is actually TWICE as bad, because now you have TWO crews that TOTALLY SUCK instead of just ONE.

Actually, there are possibly four that totally suck because Hunter Wendelstedt and Laz Diaz are out there too.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Actually, there are possibly four that totally suck because Hunter Wendelstedt and Laz Diaz are out there too.

Add Alan Porter to that list too.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Oh and then there's Tim Head Injury Timmons, he's awesome. And let us not forget Balking Bob Davidson - seriously, he calls balks so often they gave him a frickin nickname - what is that? WHAT IS THAT?

GAH

THEY ALL SUCK

ONE BIG ASSLOAD OF UMPIRE SUCK -

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

:panic:

Offline PC

"We face some pitchers everybody jumps on, and they look like Sandy Koufax over there." -- Davey

I'm glad someone finally acknowledged this.  All of these bad pitchers carving up this offense and they're tipping their caps rather than actually admitting that these are terrible pitchers that are beating them.  It's good that the truth is now out in the open.

Offline Coladar

Oh and then there's Tim Head Injury Timmons, he's awesome. And let us not forget Balking Bob Davidson - seriously, he calls balks so often they gave him a frickin nickname - what is that? WHAT IS THAT?

GAH

THEY ALL SUCK

ONE BIG ASSLOAD OF UMPIRE SUCK -

IT'S EVERYWHERE!

:panic:

Actually, I was thinking at the game Saturday night... Umpires don't call balks often enough, and if they were following the rules would do so far more often. But they became reluctant to do so given their significant impact on a game, even gifting a run with a runner on third. Then pitchers got away with more and more egregious violations, and now balks are almost never called when they often should be. That said, an ump with a nickname for balks is problematic. Whether it's because he calls them too often or is the only one actually following the Rulebook, its indicative of a problem.

And I heard Angels name tonight and like someone with PTSD went into convulsions for fear of Cowboy freaktard Joe West. They split the crews up this season? Are the crews still permanent for the season, or every series are they rotating the crews? Also, I haven't been paying attention... Anyone recall if, and how many times, we've been blessed with Cowboy freaktard? Jesus that guy needs to get crapcanned. Although if memory serves, the Nats have actually had more direct confrontation, blown calls and bullcrap with Demon Hernandez than Cowboy freaktard over the years.

Online aspenbubba

It is interesting to me that as a kid I use to follow baseball religiously. When the Nats left town I stopped and got on the bandwagon a little late after the Nats came here.My point is that the game has changed in 33 years or I think it has. Umpires were anonymous years ago. Now they make dramatic gestures for strikeouts and seem to have interjected themselves as a major componrent of the game rather than background. Reading this thread and having fans rattle off umpires names would never have happened years ago (right Welsh , Colador??).I even recognized some of the names of umps that have bad reps.Not making a point just an observation that may or maynot be correct.

BTW, this offense is really bad. DJ needs to start holding people accountable. Perhaps a benching now and again. I just don't know if this is fixable.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I have a feeling when RZ hits his annual long DL stint we'll look back at games like last night and pine for two runs.

Offline monkeyhit

It's not fixable.  They couldn't hit in spring training, they can't hit now and they won't hit down the line unless Zimmerman and Morse completely reverse their performances. Johnson's words after the game indicate that he is fed up finally and will probably have to fire that idiot "hitting" coach, but that isn't going to be  long-term solution. These boys can't hit.
Maybe in September, the Boys of Syracuse will come up to the rescue.   :roll:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I have a feeling when RZ hits his annual long DL stint we'll look back at games like last night and pine for two runs.
But then who will GIDP?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
But then who will GIDP?

I suppose we'll just have settle for strikeouts.

Online HalfSmokes

But then who will GIDP?

I suppose we'll just have settle for strikeouts.

I have faith in DeRosa to competently full both roles

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Actually, I was thinking at the game Saturday night... Umpires don't call balks often enough, and if they were following the rules would do so far more often. But they became reluctant to do so given their significant impact on a game, even gifting a run with a runner on third. Then pitchers got away with more and more egregious violations, and now balks are almost never called when they often should be. That said, an ump with a nickname for balks is problematic. Whether it's because he calls them too often or is the only one actually following the Rulebook, its indicative of a problem.

And I heard Angels name tonight and like someone with PTSD went into convulsions for fear of Cowboy freaktard Joe West. They split the crews up this season? Are the crews still permanent for the season, or every series are they rotating the crews? Also, I haven't been paying attention... Anyone recall if, and how many times, we've been blessed with Cowboy freaktard? Jesus that guy needs to get crapcanned. Although if memory serves, the Nats have actually had more direct confrontation, blown calls and bullcrap with Demon Hernandez than Cowboy freaktard over the years.

Actually, Joe Waist (or is it Waste?) helped us earlier this year when he got the runs, probably by overdoing it at Country Buffet, and had to miss our series against the Phillies at home.  Remember that game where there were only three umps?  There were at least three blown calls that went against the Phillies that night: no appeal for an obvious check-swing strike on Harper called ball four, a sharp grounder over the third base bag by a Phillies hitter called foul instead of fair, and a Nationals baserunner called safe when stealing third by the second base ump 60 feet away despite the fact he looked out on the replay.

But yeah, the umpires as a whole seem to be under a lot more scrutiny this year...:smh:

Online HalfSmokes

Are the umpires getting worse, or are television replays getting better- part of me thinks they've managed to find a new low, part thinks they've always been this bad

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Add Alan Porter to that list too.

Interesting, as PitchF/x has Porter among the very best at balls/strikes.

exerpted from Who Is the Best Umpire?   by Ben Lindbergh, Baseball Prospectus

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17343#commentMessage

The following 10 umpires to rule on at least 5000 pitches—all of whom are still active—have called the highest percentage of pitches correctly:

Name      % Called Correctly

Tim McClelland  89.3
D.J. Reyburn     88.9
Cory Blaser       88.7
Alan Porter       88.6
Mike Estabrook 88.5
Mike Everitt      88.1
Angel Campos   88.1
Gerry Davis       88.0
Todd Tichenor   87.8
Eric Cooper       87.8

Ironically, the three umpires who were behind the plate for the Nationals-Red Sox series—Alan Porter, Dana DeMuth, and Fieldin Culbreth—have all been above-average at calling balls and strikes. The trio probably missed some important pitches over the weekend, but in those three games, 87.1 percent of pitches to Red Sox batters were called correctly—an above-average success rate. That would likely come as little consolation to Valentine, whose team still couldn’t score.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Are the umpires getting worse, or are television replays getting better- part of me thinks they've managed to find a new low, part thinks they've always been this bad

I think it's a combination of both.  Good point.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Replays getting better. Though I think umpires are getting worse due to age. So I guess a combo of both

Offline JdoubleU

Anybody know where the Nats stand in K's and GIDP's? they have to be at or near the top.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Interesting, as PitchF/x has Porter among the very best at balls/strikes.

exerpted from Who Is the Best Umpire?   by Ben Lindbergh, Baseball Prospectus

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17343#commentMessage

I'm amazed, the best guys in the business get 10% of their calls wrong....

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

It's definitely tv. It wasn't all that long ago that there wasn't pitch track, pitch fx, and that "K-Zone" or whatever that box is called now. It used to be that a guy missed a pitch and that was it. Now, you can check pitch f/x, then the replay will show it in the K-Zone and finally, they'll give you the super-x-mo replay from 3 different angles.

I also think that the umps are a little more contentious, and personally, I think a great first step for the umps would be to just get help when asked.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
The last two umps we complained loudly about were a minor league part timer and a rookie.

I think they are getting worse. I don't think it's age, necessarily. Umpires should have games reviewed and part of their salary should be based on how closely they match pitchtrack. In my humble opinion.

Replays getting better. Though I think umpires are getting worse due to age. So I guess a combo of both