Author Topic: Report: Nats sign Casey Janssen (breakout from Offseason thread)  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Janssen seems like a good pickup. Gives us some depth. I don't think anything will happen with the starters until the trade deadline.

Offline Count Walewski

Meh. Doesn't do anything to fix the offense. Nice to have, I guess.

Offline Mattionals

I didn't know the offense was broken.  Giants didn't score too many runs in that series either.  Playoffs are a crapshoot.  To me, this looks like a similar hitting and better pitching team than last year.

Offline houston-nat

Nationals offense, 2014
#4 in NL in OBP
#4 in NL in HR
#3 in NL in runs scored
#5 in NL in AVG
#4 in NL in walk rate

and

#3 in NL for MOST hitter days lost to DL

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I'm convinced now that all six SP will be back. The only scenario I saw for a trade was if Rizzo felt he needed to address the pen that way.

I suppose he can still trade one for a prospect haul but I think Rizzo values SP depth way too much.

Offline Baseball is Life

Nationals offense, 2014
#4 in NL in OBP
#4 in NL in HR
#3 in NL in runs scored
#5 in NL in AVG
#4 in NL in walk rate

and

#3 in NL for MOST hitter days lost to DL

I think most people think the offense sucked because of the postseason shortcomings. I'm hoping the postseason offense will come around with experience. They just seemed so uptight and overaggressive against Giants.

Online HalfSmokes

I think most people think the offense sucked because of the postseason shortcomings. I'm hoping the postseason offense will come around with experience. They just seemed so uptight and overaggressive against Giants.

They had a high k% (4th in the NL)- it seemed like the Giants were able to take advantage of that - 39 strikeouts with only 12 walks over the course of the series

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!

I think it is also an issue with what appeared to be too much reliance upon the long ball to score runs and a lack of situational hitting - both of which tend to be a negative in the post season and remain as the biggest knock on this team's offense. Even excluding the postseason, the difference between those general stats and the same ones with RISP and RISP with two outs tells a different story. They were a lot worse with RISP and their AVG with RISP and two outs was last in the NL - very telling.

Some of that in 2014 can be blamed in part due to the loss of certain guys to the DL. Espinosa and Lobaton were black holes for large stretches of the season, and Desmond and LaRoche's all or nothing approach led to a lot of streakiness. 2013 was historically bad in terms of PHing. The team was killed by the combo of an all or nothing lineup and a dreadful bench that were automatic outs when they needed contact. Minor improvements to the bench last year coupled with the injection of Rendon as an everyday player helped improve the balance compared to 2013. But it still wasn't enough. I hope that with RZ back in 2015 and LaRoche gone, that we will see even more balance given some additional maturity in Harper and Rendon. Espinosa brings the whole offense down when batting left-handed, so they need to avoid that altogether. Getting a well-constructed bench with guys who make contact, understand situations, and don't strike out all the time will be critical to keeping the offense alive.

They need to take advantage of the RISP. The stats you quote are fine to keep as is, if they can get similar numbers with RISP. That would be a huge accomplishment.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I think it is also an issue with what appeared to be too much reliance upon the long ball to score runs and a lack of situational hitting - both of which tend to be a negative in the post season and remain as the biggest knock on this team's offense. Even excluding the postseason, the difference between those general stats and the same ones with RISP and RISP with two outs tells a different story. They were a lot worse with RISP and their AVG with RISP and two outs was last in the NL - very telling.

Some of that in 2014 can be blamed in part due to the loss of certain guys to the DL. Espinosa and Lobaton were black holes for large stretches of the season, and Desmond and LaRoche's all or nothing approach led to a lot of streakiness. 2013 was historically bad in terms of PHing. The team was killed by the combo of an all or nothing lineup and a dreadful bench that were automatic outs when they needed contact. Minor improvements to the bench last year coupled with the injection of Rendon as an everyday player helped improve the balance compared to 2013. But it still wasn't enough. I hope that with RZ back in 2015 and LaRoche gone, that we will see even more balance given some additional maturity in Harper and Rendon. Espinosa brings the whole offense down when batting left-handed, so they need to avoid that altogether. Getting a well-constructed bench with guys who make contact, understand situations, and don't strike out all the time will be critical to keeping the offense alive.

They need to take advantage of the RISP. The stats you quote are fine to keep as is, if they can get similar numbers with RISP. That would be a huge accomplishment.

WORD.

Offline Baseball is Life

The stats you quote are fine to keep as is, if they can get similar numbers with RISP.

Let's be clear. I was not the one who cited stats. I would never do such a thing. :shock:

Offline Mattionals

But isn't AVG with RISP sort of flukey anyway?  Remember in 2013 when the Cardinals were tops in baseball, with Allen Craig having the highest AVG with RISP?  2014 was a different story for team and player.  I would guess that without LaRoche in the lineup and Zim back in there, things won't actually change much given K% but it is in favor of Zimmerman slightly.  I think the new look Nats this season will have a better collective OBP, and maybe just putting more runners on and having more attempts will trend the AVG with RISP upward.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
It can be kind of flukey. I am not a big believer in clutch personality, but do believe in good hitters and quality at bats. On a small sample, your RISP hitting stats may be completely different than what it is in general, but the goal should be that is isn't. I used avg with Risp as an example but their hitting stats in general were bad with RISP and RiSP with two outs. You can argue that bad luck with RISp simply impacts scoring, as opposed to a problem with scoring being due to the issues with RISP.  Bottom line is that they didn't do well. The facts that they scored runs despite that says something. I would argue that they have pop without good situational hitting through the lineup, which leads to leaving too much on the table during the season and then hurts more in the playoffs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
It can be kind of flukey. I am not a big believer in clutch personality, but do believe in good hitters and quality at bats. On a small sample, your RISP hitting stats may be completely different than what it is in general, but the goal should be that is isn't.
I buy this.  That's why I don't like the rundown of "Werth, LaRoche, Desmond, Span all had horrible at bats and were horrible against the Giants."  Werth had long at bats, did not have a substantially elevated K rate, made decent contact, but the contact did not drop and the flies were short of the fence.  I don't think the same can be said of the other 3. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
@JonHeymanCBS: casey janssen #nats deal is $5M for 1 year plus option. $3.5M '15 salary plus $1.5M buyout for '16.

So essentially we traded Clippard for Jansen and Escobar and saved some cash.

Offline PC

So essentially we traded Clippard for Jansen and Escobar and saved some cash.

Offline houston-nat

Uh PC....it's a good thing.

Offline PC

Uh PC....it's a good thing.

Not if Clippard has a better season than both of them, combined.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Clip can't play second base, broski.

Offline whytev

Offline houston-nat

And the odds of that are.... 5%?

I mean, an average 2B who starts 150 games is already more valuable than any reliever other than Kimbrel, and then you add a reliever who might bounce back to being above-average himself.

Offline Ray D

And the odds of that are.... 5%?

I mean, an average 2B who starts 150 games is already more valuable than any reliever other than Kimbrel,
Yeah but a mediocre low-life second baseman isn't.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Our jailbird will coach him up...

Offline houston-nat

Career average 3.2 WAR per 162 games; Steamer projection of 2.1 WAR, Zips projection of 1.2 WAR.

Offline Ray D

Our jailbird will coach him up...
That's what I'm afraid of, the jailbird will develop his low-life tendencies.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Steamer projection of 2.1 WAR, Zips projection of 1.2 WAR.

At Second or Short?