Author Topic: Stubhub changes  (Read 3018 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Stubhub changes
« Topic Start: January 14, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »
Per Bill Shaikin of the LA Times, MLB has a new deal with stubhub, the biggest change is that the lowest allowable ticket price is now $6.

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Stubhub changes
« Reply #1: January 14, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
Boo

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: January 14, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
Per Bill Shaikin of the LA Times, MLB has a new deal with stubhub, the biggest change is that the lowest allowable ticket price is now $6.

:crackup:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: January 14, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #4: January 14, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »

Damn, I got some really cheap seats on slow days. Looks like buying at the park might be cheaper for me.

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #5: January 15, 2013, 04:12:50 AM »
Damn, I got some really cheap seats on slow days. Looks like buying at the park might be cheaper for me.
Especially with the $250 in fees for buying a 25 cent ticket.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6: January 15, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

The United don't have an instant transfer option that I'm aware of, so you have to pay a FedEx fee in addition to the 10% Stubhub fee. The Nats allow electronic transfer for a much more reasonable $5 charge.

So with this new policy the lowest price for one ticket will be $16 and for two will be $22. (The minimum Stubhub fee is $5.) Previously the low had been $11 for one and $12 for two. Of course only a few games had prices this low, very unpopular games (based on date, opponent, and weather) and overhyped games where the resellers took a bath.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: January 15, 2013, 07:07:08 AM »

Thanks for finding this, very interesting, i'll be curious to see the affect on the resale market. Does it help the sellers by propping up prices? Does it help the buyers get better seats for cheap as the price floor is the same for all pricing sections? Does this leave an opening for other resale sites to move in?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #8: January 15, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »
:lol:, yeah the fees are pretty bad. I liked getting from StubHub though because I didn't have to waste time at the park getting a ticket or worry about not being able to get one (I've gotten turned away before for going to a sold-out game). But it looks like it won't be that cheap for much longer.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #9: January 15, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
Apparently at least some of the fees are now being rolled into the listed price of a ticket, so it might not be as bad as it seems.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: January 15, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
I love that EBay bought stubhub so there's basically no choice in ticket resales.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: January 16, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
I love that EBay bought stubhub so there's basically no choice in ticket resales.

someone will sue over the fees now that it's a monopoly, lawyers will get rich(er), we'll get a $.10 rebate, fees will go down minutely before starting to rise again

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #12: January 16, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
well this is garbage... but I never used Stubhub much anyway. I only used it once and that was for a playoff ticket last year. I should've bought a ticket to Game 5... Why didn't I jump on that 80$ ticket. Now I know.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #13: January 20, 2013, 06:02:54 PM »
The United don't have an instant transfer option that I'm aware of, so you have to pay a FedEx fee in addition to the 10% Stubhub fee. The Nats allow electronic transfer for a much more reasonable $5 charge.

So with this new policy the lowest price for one ticket will be $16 and for two will be $22. (The minimum Stubhub fee is $5.) Previously the low had been $11 for one and $12 for two. Of course only a few games had prices this low, very unpopular games (based on date, opponent, and weather) and overhyped games where the resellers took a bath.

The Nats now have a transfer fee of $2 a ticket instead of $5 per purchase.  Great if you're just buying a single ticket, kind of sucky if you're buying for a family of four.  Also looks like StubHub has dropped the $5 minimum on service charges, so purchases under $50 will have the standard 10% fee.

So the lowest price for a single ticket will be $8.60 ($6 ticket, $2 Nats charge, $.6 StubHub fee) and the lowest for a pair will be exactly double the price for one $17.20 ($12, $4, $1.20).  So if you're meeting a friend you can each buy your own ticket without paying extra. 

Sure would be nice to be able to buy a ticket 5 minutes before first pitch and then use the bar code on my phone to get in the gate.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #14: January 20, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »
Under StubHub's new pricing model, customers will pay a $2.25 delivery fee per ticket up to $10. That's compared to a flat $5.40 delivery fee before. The service fee was lowered to $3 for tickets under $50, and is a percentage of the price above that number.

These numbers appeared in several news stories about the new five year extension of the deal between StubHub and MLB announced last month.  But they don't exactly match up with the changes I'm seeing for Nats tickets currently listed for sale.

--I'm seeing a $2 per ticket charge instead of $2.25
--I'm seeing the 10% purchase fee all the way down to the cheapest seats rather than a minimum of $3

Another notable change is that StubHub has agreed to list tickets based on the "all-in" price, with fees included.  They aren't doing that right now, and it might be a bit tricky if a variable number of tickets are listed that could cause the total price to exceed $30 where the percentage fee would apply rather than the flat fee.  What this means is that the $6 minimum isn't much different from last year because it includes the fees which where not included in the $1 list prices that we often saw.  (Also changed is that StubHub will not show the cheapest tickets by default, which is hardly much of an impact on the buyers, but is aimed at preventing the perception that hundreds of dirt cheap tickets are available, devaluing the product.)

The Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers have all opted out of the deal (teams can drop out or opt in each year), these teams are joining with Ticketmaster on an alternative resale site that will allow them to enforce much higher price floors.  Of course StubHub will crush these attempts by setting up offices across the street from the ballparks where they can continue to sell tickets, which with no floor will allow them to undercut prices from the official site.

http://nytimes.stats.com/mlb/story.asp?i=20121210102708362616208&ref=hea&tm=&src=

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #15: January 22, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »
For anyone with experience, is Stubhub usually better than the Scalpers? I have no experience with Stubhub, just scalpers. In the past it seemed like I could always get decent OF (100 or 200's) from a scalper for around $15, but last year it was harder. I swear all those scalpers are colluding with each other since they don't bargain anymore.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #16: January 22, 2013, 12:58:21 AM »
For anyone with experience, is Stubhub usually better than the Scalpers? I have no experience with Stubhub, just scalpers. In the past it seemed like I could always get decent OF (100 or 200's) from a scalper for around $15, but last year it was harder. I swear all those scalpers are colluding with each other since they don't bargain anymore.
  I have had the same experience lately with scalpers, and at least with Stubhub the tickets are guaranteed to be legit.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: January 22, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »

Scalpers are usually the better deal (last time I used one was RFK, but I still pay attention to prices), but they're close enough that I prefer the guaranteed ticket on stub hub

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #18: January 23, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
  I have had the same experience lately with scalpers, and at least with Stubhub the tickets are guaranteed to be legit.
I don't think the scalpers sell fakes. I swear that I see the same faces all the time. The same scalpers are there all the time. I'm guessing they have an agreement with the team or the police where they can do there thing in a certain area (why are they never right next to the box office?), and the team and police look the other way.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #19: February 20, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »

From an email I got from Stubhub today:

You're receiving this email because you sold Washington Nationals tickets on StubHub last season. We recently renewed our partnership with Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM) and are now allowing all sellers to list their tickets for the upcoming season. However, there are some important changes we need to tell you about.

Twenty-seven of the 30 MLB teams will have a cancel/reissue barcode integration ("MLB integrated teams") with StubHub in 2013 and the Washington Nationals are one of the teams continuing its relationship with StubHub. 
MLB transfer fee and minimum list price 

For all 2013 home games for MLB integrated teams, there will be an MLB transfer fee of $1.50 per ticket, which will only apply if your tickets sell. In the sell flow, you'll see the MLB transfer fee as a separate line item. For example, if you list a ticket for $50.00, the first $1.50 will go to the MLB transfer fee and your payout will be $41.23, which is 85% of the remaining $48.50.

There will also be a minimum list price for all 2013 Washington Nationals games of $3.00 per ticket, which is inclusive of the $1.50 MLB transfer fee. 
Product and technology updates 

•What the buyer sees is what the buyer pays: Typically on StubHub, once a buyer selects the tickets they want to buy, the buyer is assessed an additional 10% fee right before they purchase their tickets. However, for 2013 MLB games, we're changing the way we show ticket prices on our site and will include the buyer service fee in the ticket price for all 2013 MLB games. It's important to note that including the buyer service fee in the ticket cost will impact the price of your tickets the buyer sees on the event page, but it won't alter your payout.
•Buyer ticket delivery: We're also changing the delivery fee buyers pay to collect their tickets for home games for MLB integrated teams. The delivery fee will now be $2.00 per ticket for all 2013 home games for MLB integrated teams, in place of the previous delivery charge assessed at checkout. Like the service fee, the delivery fee will be included in the ticket price on the event page.
Here's an example of how it will work:
If a seller sets a per ticket cost of $50.00, that listing will show on the event page for $57.00, which includes the ticket cost ($50), buyer service fee ($5) and buyer delivery fee ($2). It's important to keep this in mind when pricing your tickets and looking for them on the event page.

We're looking forward to a great 2013 MLB season. Please reach out to us if you have any questions.

So the minimum list price is $3.00, but the actual price displayed looks like it will be $5.30 ($3.00 list price + $2.00 delivery fee + $0.30 buyer service fee).  The seller will get 85% of the $3.00 list price minus the $1.50 MLB transfer fee, which equals.......a whopping $1.28.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #20: June 19, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »
Wow, Stubhub really takes a bite.... Just listed 2 tickets for the 6/25 Diamondbacks game.

The Price per ticket: $61.60
The Buyer Pays: $69.76 per ticket
I get $51.08 per ticket.

They get me and the guy buying the ticekts. Double ka-pow.

Or, another way to look at it, they collect $69.76 from the buyer, pass $51.08 along to me, and keep $18.68 for themselves. That's a 36.6% cut off the top.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #21: June 19, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that when I got better tickets for a game that I have season tickets for and tried to sell it. The seat in my ticket plan was only like 15 bucks, but for a popular game w/ a concert I figured I could sell it. I had to bump the price way up even to get back what I paid for the ticket. Ended up just giving it to a friend rather than line Stub Hub's pockets.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #22: June 19, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »

Or, another way to look at it, they collect $69.76 from the buyer, pass $51.08 along to me, and keep $18.68 for themselves. That's a 36.6% cut off the top.

Folks used to go to jail for that.