Destin Hood
Alex Meyer
Chris Marrero
Matt Purke
Brian Goodwin
Brad Peacock
Steve Lombardozzi
Other (Explain)

Author Topic: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #3 Prospect  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #3 Prospect
« Topic Start: August 13, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
Voting closes at 4:30 p.m. Sunday, August 14, 2011.

Offline GMUTrkstar

Re: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #3 Prospect
« Reply #1: August 13, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
Peacock was ranked in BA's midseason top 50 and has already made it to AAA I think he should get the nod here. Although Purke, Meyer and Cole are intriguing as well.

Offline epic_phalanx

« Reply #2: August 13, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
I voted Peacock, but it was a touch call between him, Purke and Cole.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: August 13, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Rendon

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: August 13, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
(Strasburg) Harper + Marrero + it gets thin. Lombo might make it. Norris can't hit AA. Peacock hasn't pitched welll in AAA. I'd guess Hood after Lombo, but he's so far from MLB that it's a blind guess. Right now, Stammen seems to be the best starter in AAA. That says it all.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: August 13, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
(Strasburg) Harper + Marrero + it gets thin. Lombo might make it. Norris can't hit AA. Peacock hasn't pitched welll in AAA. I'd guess Hood after Lombo, but he's so far from MLB that it's a blind guess. Right now, Stammen seems to be the best starter in AAA. That says it all.

Tom Milone, Brad Meyers and Brad Peacock all have better ERAs than Stammen. Meyers and Milone are both just about a full run better. Not sure how you're getting that Stammen is the best AAA starter. Peacock's start last night was great. He'll be fine.

Meyers had a rough patch before  his injury but since returning he's been great. I'm not sure there's really any debate that the best AAA starter this season is Milone.

Also, Derek Norris is 15th in the Eastern League in OPS with .812. He's had his struggles with contact, but his OBP and SLG are still both very good.

Offline DCisforBaseball

• You've been Rick-rolled!
    • DC is for Baseball
« Reply #6: August 14, 2011, 02:31:16 AM »
I went with Purke. He's got more upside than Peacock and more polish than Cole. While the injuries concern me, he did pass his physical, which is good enough for me for now I suppose.

I have 2 questions about the WNFF top prospect series: What happens if draft picks don't sign and they're already chosen on the list...do we re-select? And Linty, is there any way you could post the poll results before closing each thread? From what I see, the results disappear once the time runs out.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #7: August 14, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »
I think Peacock gets a lot of support just because he's closer to the major leagues; of course, that also means he's being successful against better opponents, or it would if he didn't have a ballooning walk rate right now. Anyway, that was my logic for preferring Cole. I'm just too worried about Purke's shoulder.

Offline welch

« Reply #8: August 14, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
I've been down of Peacock because he has been clubbed in AAA. Stammen comment is hyperbole ("we look so bad that even...")

I have no confidence in Norris. Still don't see why others like him. Hope he proves me wrong, of course, but hitting .210 in AA is dismal.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: August 14, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
I've been down of Peacock because he has been clubbed in AAA. Stammen comment is hyperbole ("we look so bad that even...")

I have no confidence in Norris. Still don't see why others like him. Hope he proves me wrong, of course, but hitting .210 in AA is dismal.

It's not that bad when your OBP is still .370+.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: August 14, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
I wouldn't say Peacock has been "clubbed" in AAA.

9.29 K/9, .226 BA against, 2 ER or fewer given up in 4 of 6 starts. The only thing that is slightly concerning are the walks but I expect them to go down back to AA levels.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #11: August 14, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
I went with Purke. He's got more upside than Peacock and more polish than Cole. While the injuries concern me, he did pass his physical, which is good enough for me for now I suppose.

I have 2 questions about the WNFF top prospect series: What happens if draft picks don't sign and they're already chosen on the list...do we re-select? And Linty, is there any way you could post the poll results before closing each thread? From what I see, the results disappear once the time runs out.

For example, if Purke is chosen here and then doesn't sign, we'd probably bump up everyone and do another #5 poll or something.

Linty, what you could just do is in the initial post, post our list so far, so:

#1: Harper
#2: Rendon

and then update it in the new poll each time

Offline RD

« Reply #12: August 14, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
I've been down of Peacock because he has been clubbed in AAA.

No he hasn't.

His first outing was terrible. Gave up 7 runs in 4.1 innings.

In the 5 games since that first start, he has gone 3-0 26.2ip, 20h, 8er, with a 28/14 K/BB ratio and a 2.70.

That's not getting clubbed. He's had a few control issues, but overall has pitched very well in AAA, his first start not withstanding.

Offline RD

« Reply #13: August 14, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
With that said, Purke is #3. He's as talented as any arm in the system, outside of Strasburg. He's a lefty. He's healthy. Despite being injured, he still pitched very well last year. The fact that he's healthy eases the doubt around the injury. His potential as a frontline left handed starter make this an easy #3.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #14: August 14, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
Yep looks like Purke is going to take this one. If we're judging mostly on ceiling I can understand how Purke gets the nod here. But Peacocks floor and ceiling combined is why he got my vote.

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #15: August 14, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
I went with A.J cole considering his year and his stuff, but if purke signs he'll be third.

Offline welch

« Reply #16: August 14, 2011, 06:07:14 PM »
Has Purke signed? Or Rendon? I'd say they aren't Nats' prospects until they sign a Washington contract. Even then, it should take a few months pro ball to edge onto a prospects list.

Norris still looks like he can't hit in AA.

Hope Peacock's last few games indicate that he is adjusting to AAA.

Offline RD

« Reply #17: August 14, 2011, 09:57:22 PM »
Has Purke signed? Or Rendon? I'd say they aren't Nats' prospects until they sign a Washington contract. Even then, it should take a few months pro ball to edge onto a prospects list.

So Harper shouldn't have been our #1 prospect entering the season? He signed at the deadline as well.

Offline welch

« Reply #18: August 14, 2011, 11:02:23 PM »
So Harper shouldn't have been our #1 prospect entering the season? He signed at the deadline as well.

I believe that a guy has to be in the Nats organization to be a Nats prospect.

Has Rendon signed?

Harper signed and went to AFL, where he showed some promise. If a guy hasn't signed, he can't be a Nat's prospect. Might be a draftee, but could easily slide to somebody else's prospect next year.

(Yes, I assume Rendon will sign in a few hours. Then, however, the Nats medical staff can examine that shoulder. Maybe surgery?)

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #19: August 14, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »
I believe that a guy has to be in the Nats organization to be a Nats prospect.

Has Rendon signed?

Harper signed and went to AFL, where he showed some promise. If a guy hasn't signed, he can't be a Nat's prospect. Might be a draftee, but could easily slide to somebody else's prospect next year.

(Yes, I assume Rendon will sign in a few hours. Then, however, the Nats medical staff can examine that shoulder. Maybe surgery?)

The problem with ratings is people view them in different ways. You clearly view propects in a "prove yourself before you get credit" light- which makes plenty of sense. I, personally, (as well as RD) view the ratings in terms of sheer potential- to us, even though the pitcher has done nothing in the minors, their potential can put them ahead of a AAA player.

Obviously, we're all aking an assumption that these players will sign- if they don't, that can be altered later.

Offline welch

« Reply #20: August 14, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Yes, I'm looking for prospects who have proven enough that they might move up.

Meanwhile, I took a stroll through the Syracuse stats:

- Peacock has been consistently inconsistent. Terrible first game, good second, then bad, good, bad etc. I'd judge that he needs another year in AAA to learn.

- Stammen has almost the same pattern: good/bad/good/bad

Ignoring Maya and other known (bad) quantities, work through the starters and none of these pitchers look ready to help the Nats in September or early next year.

Meanwhile Lombo has been steadily outstanding at AA and AAA. I'm ready to see Desmond as a utility guy, with Lombo at 2B and Espy at SS. I do wish that Espy would stop being a strikeout / HR hitter. I'd give up the 16 HRs if he could hit .280 with 10 HR. That with his defense would be great.

Marrero looks like he deserves to play in the majors.

Harper we now.

That makes Lombo number 3.