Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 145070 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #25: August 04, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
heading down to FL on the auto train next week for some time at disney and a few side trips.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #26: August 05, 2012, 08:05:06 AM »
heading down to FL on the auto train next week for some time at disney and a few side trips.

:clap:

Disney World totally rulez.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #27: August 13, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
We decided on a week at the Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort for our honeymoon. I'd much rather have gone to St. John but UCIS proved to be quite stubborn in refusing to answer my inquiry if USVA was considered leaving the country.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: August 13, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
Looks awesome!  The lucky lady ought to be able to find plenty to do while you're out catching tarpon and bonefish.   

Offline eckseid

« Reply #29: August 14, 2012, 07:10:56 AM »
Reading all of these vacation stories brings back memories of my 2 month vacation this summer in Texas.

I hopped on a plane from Richmond and went to San Antonio and spent 2 awesome months in a 5 star dorm with 51 other guys. No lobster or steak, but it was awesome chicken and rice every night for dinner. For breakfast we had powdered eggs and turkey bacon/sausage. Also, did I mention the beautiful weather? 100 degree days almost every day.

I definitely want to do it again and I highly recommend everyone else to take this vacation. Shame I have no pictures to share.

PS: I'm not complaining, just having some fun. :)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #30: August 15, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

Since I've made some of the more extensive postings about the Auto Train, I'm curious to hear how that part of the trip worked out for you.

Seeing your post prompts me to start checking the rates for the return trip at Christmas time (we'll drive down and take the train back). I know sometimes if you book far enough in advance the full-size bedroom costs minimally extra above the roomette.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: September 21, 2012, 11:35:23 PM »
nothing too exotic, but I'm doing the I-95 up and back over the next week, starting saturday.  In honor of Bruuuuce! and the concert last week, I've loaded up on the Born to Run / Darkness on the Edge of Town / The River trilogy, as well as Ramones Road to Ruin and some other music for middle aged guys who can't dance.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #32: September 21, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
I find that wearing a sleeveless denim vest with no shirt usually improves my joisey toinpike driving experience.  Guys with shaved chests and manicured sideburns always let you merge if you are appropriately attired.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #33: September 22, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
Next Friday is my last day at work ... got the boot after 38 years.   I'm thinking about driving to Newfoundland to visit an old friend, drink Jack and watch Puffins (or whatever goes on up there).    Gotta be in PA for a reunion on the 20th.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: September 22, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »
Reading all of these vacation stories brings back memories of my 2 month vacation this summer in Texas.

I hopped on a plane from Richmond and went to San Antonio and spent 2 awesome months in a 5 star dorm with 51 other guys. No lobster or steak, but it was awesome chicken and rice every night for dinner. For breakfast we had powdered eggs and turkey bacon/sausage. Also, did I mention the beautiful weather? 100 degree days almost every day.

I definitely want to do it again and I highly recommend everyone else to take this vacation. Shame I have no pictures to share.

PS: I'm not complaining, just having some fun. :)

You a medic  ...   :)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #35: September 22, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
A crazed ground crew worker's vehicle collided with our scheduled JetBlue aircraft resulting in a flight cancellation so this has been our view for vacation day 1.

At least we skipped the hubbub and hung out in the observation area with the light jazz, between A-B, while remotely guiding those who do not speak English. Traveling is so different with cell phones and internet access everywhere.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: September 22, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
A crazed ground crew worker's vehicle collided with our scheduled JetBlue aircraft resulting in a flight cancellation so this has been our view for vacation day 1.

(Image removed from quote.)

At least we skipped the hubbub and hung out in the observation area with the light jazz, between A-B, while remotely guiding those who do not speak English. Traveling is so different with cell phones and internet access everywhere.

In my next life, I'm thinkin' about loading luggage at Dulles.   If I see any member of senior staff's luggage where I work now  ...  their crap's goin' to Honduras.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #37: September 22, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
I suspect there is more mischief to be had by addition rather than subtraction. :mg:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #38: September 22, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »
Planning a trip to Myrtle Beach for late May/early June next year. Staying at my Aunt's condo for $50 a day. Not too bad I don't think. It's actually Paulie's Island (sp?). Gonna show off that beach body next year!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: September 22, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
A PUBLIC APOLOGY:

I am so sorry I didn't run into a single one of you during my trip to DC.  I was at three games and I was late to to of them.  I completely suck and will make up for it next year.  Though, I won't be coming in September because our home schedule sucks next September.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #40: September 23, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: September 23, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Lol nope.

Sounded like a description of Ft. Sam Houston.   :)

Offline eckseid

« Reply #42: September 23, 2012, 01:55:53 PM »
Sounded like a description of Ft. Sam Houston.   :)

Close, more like Lackland AFB. Now I'm stuck on a navy base in Gulfport ms and I'm not sure which is worse....

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: September 23, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Close, more like Lackland AFB. Now I'm stuck on a navy base in Gulfport ms and I'm not sure which is worse....

Mississippi is always worse.   I did my infantry training at Ft. Polk back in the day.   That's half way between TX and MS ... Garden spot of America.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #44: September 23, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
Mississippi is always worse.   I did my infantry training at Ft. Polk back in the day.   That's half way between TX and MS ... Garden spot of America.

Everyone I've talked to hates Ft Polk. An army prior service guy in my class is getting stationed there after his final test with us on Tuesday. Needless to say he isn't happy and is planning to change career fields again ASAP.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #45: September 23, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
In my next life, I'm thinkin' about loading luggage at Dulles.   If I see any member of senior staff's luggage where I work now  ...  their crap's goin' to Honduras.

:lmao:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: September 23, 2012, 05:01:31 PM »
Everyone I've talked to hates Ft Polk. An army prior service guy in my class is getting stationed there after his final test with us on Tuesday. Needless to say he isn't happy and is planning to change career fields again ASAP.

Those were the days  !!

Offline HalfSmokes

I'm trying to come up with summer day trips has anyone been to colonial beach or flag ponds nature park?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
My parents used to have a little beach cottage down at colonial. I remember the beach being nice, not crowded, but that was a long time ago.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Leaving this coming Tuesday (9th) for a week in Riga.