Author Topic: Not Nationals Park Questions  (Read 880 times)

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
Not Nationals Park Questions
« Topic Start: January 22, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
I really despise those types of people. Move into an area, knowing damn well what's in the immediate area, only to complain later. People do that all the time at MIR (Maryland International Raceway) and ODS (Old Dominion Speedway). Move into the area, knowing there's a racetrack, then complain later trying to get it closed down.

Complete joke.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Not Nationals Park Questions
« Reply #1: January 22, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
I really despise those types of people. Move into an area, knowing damn well what's in the immediate area, only to complain later. People do that all the time at MIR (Maryland International Raceway) and ODS (Old Dominion Speedway). Move into the area, knowing there's a racetrack, then complain later trying to get it closed down.

Complete joke.

The reverse happens too  - LeMans series started a race in the RFK parking lot out of the blue. People were rightfully pissed off and ended it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: January 22, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »

The reverse happens too  - LeMans series started a race in the RFK parking lot out of the blue. People were rightfully pissed off and ended it.

NIMBYism alive and well.  Screw all the hoteliers and restaurantiers and cabies and all the rest who benefit from a surge in tourism for a few days.  It's noisy!  It brings traffic!  Wah...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #3: January 22, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
NIMBYism alive and well.  Screw all the hoteliers and restaurantiers and cabies and all the rest who benefit from a surge in tourism for a few days.  It's noisy!  It brings traffic!  Wah...

http://offwing.com/2002/07/down-around-rfk-stadium-yesterday

Yeah, sure, I bet you'd love 97 decibels of ear-damaging noise just so someone else can make money :roll:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #4: January 22, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

Yeah, sure, I bet you'd love 97 decibels of ear-damaging noise just so someone else can make money :roll:

It's much better not to be inconvenienced for a few hours instead of helping bring in new events.  :smh:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: January 22, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »

Sure, let half the housekeeping staff have the week off, it's only money.  Same for the waiters and bartenders.  Greedy bastards.  Keep the sanctity of my bubble intact!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6: January 22, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »

Hosting a race in a residential area was a bad idea, but it's not like the tour just randomly picked the RFK location, it was the city government who invited them in.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: January 22, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
Hosting a race in a residential area was a bad idea, but it's not like the tour just randomly picked the RFK location, it was the city government who invited them in.

RFK parking lots are not in a residential area, unless you refer to the homeless dude living under the overpass between lots 3 and 7.

What about all the people always nagging about wanting jobs?  Of course they DC govt invited them in, because it boosts existing jobs for a few days and provides temp work for others.  Cities should be marketing themselves and not letting a few whiners kill opportunity for people who want and need it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: January 22, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
The maroons that moved into to the neighborhood complained.

As I remember it (don't feel like Googling this one), the official reason for the switch was that fireworks are used at multiple ballparks and the team wanted something unique.  This led to much speculation that neighborhood complaints and even cheap ownership were the actual reasons behind the switch.  There was also the issue of ashes falling into the stands, which led to the incident where the fire marshal flipped out following a home run when ashes landed in his beer.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: January 22, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
I'm fairly certain Feffer the Fluffer confirmed that the yuppies, err residents, complained.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #10: January 22, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »
RFK parking lots are not in a residential area, unless you refer to the homeless dude living under the overpass between lots 3 and 7.

What about all the people always nagging about wanting jobs?  Of course they DC govt invited them in, because it boosts existing jobs for a few days and provides temp work for others.  Cities should be marketing themselves and not letting a few whiners kill opportunity for people who want and need it.

It was 97 decibels in people's front yards, the Oklahoma Ave houses are pretty much in the RFK parking lots. Those are also not rich people.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #11: January 22, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »

Come on dude, there are tons of houses within a mile from there and if you've been to a race you know how far that noise travels.  Not many houses in Tysons Corner either, host a race week there and see how that idea flies.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: January 22, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »

It was 97 decibels in people's front yards, the Oklahoma Ave houses are pretty much in the RFK parking lots. Those are also not rich people.

Then it's irrelevant.  They only care about overpaid administrivia agents like you and me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: January 22, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »

Probably no louder than my next door neighbor's leaf blower, which by the way is the loudest MFing leaf blower I've ever heard in my life.  Definitely drives me inside when he's using it.  Still, for a one time event that brings in beaucoup tourist $ and favorable press to the city someone needs to grow a pair and tell the NIMBY's to buzz off.  It's good for the city, it's good for lots of people in the city and we're sorry about the noise but it's only for a few days and then gone.  Get over it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #14: January 22, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
Still, for a one time event that brings in beaucoup tourist $ and favorable press to the city someone needs to grow a pair and tell the NIMBY's to buzz off.

Once again foregoing Google on this one, but wasn't the idea that it was going to be an annual event, one week a year of having your life disrupted, there is a reason why property values are lower around airports.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: January 22, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
Probably no louder than my next door neighbor's leaf blower, which by the way is the loudest MFing leaf blower I've ever heard in my life.  Definitely drives me inside when he's using it.  Still, for a one time event that brings in beaucoup tourist $ and favorable press to the city someone needs to grow a pair and tell the NIMBY's to buzz off.  It's good for the city, it's good for lots of people in the city and we're sorry about the noise but it's only for a few days and then gone.  Get over it.

It was a yearly event.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #16: January 22, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
There's a difference bringing a race somewhere, versus moving into an area where a race track has been for 50 years or so. I can understand someone being upset if they decided to place a race in the city, but to complain about noise coming from a race track that was there 50 years before you moved in, kind of your fault for not looking around the area.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #17: January 22, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »
There's a difference bringing a race somewhere, versus moving into an area where a race track has been for 50 years or so. I can understand someone being upset if they decided to place a race in the city, but to complain about noise coming from a race track that was there 50 years before you moved in, kind of your fault for not looking around the area.

yup

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #18: January 22, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
This NIYBYism has got to stop.