Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 55092 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #200: October 12, 2009, 01:33:56 AM »
i need to find myself a good netbook for around 300 bucks. if possible.

I don't give a crap about what's installed on it other than the OS, I'll install my own cause I use mostly free crap, particularly Google free crap.

I'd go with Ubuntu..except that Chrome doesn't work on Linux yet. bleh. plus I dunno if Media Go! (which i'll need to use to manage my PSP content in the future when I get my PSP Go) is usable through WINE or not. those are two programs that I absolutely want and/or need to use. otherwise, I'm pretty flexible. I use GMail for my Mail, Google Docs and/or OpenOffice.org for my Office Suite(I use Docs mostly, but keep OpenOffice.org installed incase I need it.) beyond that I don't really NEED much, because my computer is mostly for personal use and not real hardcore business work.

so I suppose I'll be needing XP or Windows 7.

I'm more worried about HD space and specs.

any suggestions?

As far as specs, you'll be getting a 1.6 GHz single core Intel Atom most likely, since nearly all netbooks come with the same N270 Atom.

If you can wait a while, Chrome OS should be shipping on netbooks by the end of the year.

Also, why netbook?  If you don't need the extreme portability, you'd be better off with a cheap regular sized notebook.  Those 10" screens are reeeeeally small when you try to actually use one, not to mention the small keyboard.

Are refurbs ok?  There are refurbed HP minis I saw going at around $240, only 8GB HD and 512MB of ram though, you could upgrade both for fairly cheap.