Author Topic: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 3  (Read 41416 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals @ Marlins, Game 3
« Reply #875: April 08, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »
I understand there will be growing pains but 0-3 out of the gate!? that sucks so much it pains me to even type it.

It's not like I am asking them to go undefeated or even have a winning record. I just want a respectable team that will (for now) hover around .500 and be competitive night in and night out.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #876: April 08, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
I understand there will be growing pains but 0-3 out of the gate!? that sucks so much it pains me to even type it.

It's not like I am asking them to go undefeated or even have a winning record. I just want a respectable team that will (for now) hover around .500 and be competitive night in and night out.

Of course I want them to be competitive too.  Tonight, tomorrow and all of Friday morning/afternoon are going to be freaking terrible when I think to myself oh crap we're 0-3 and we don't get a chance to redeem ourselves until Friday night (when we have to face Derek Lowe, at that).  Like I said though, just have to try your best to brush it off. 

We have the most inexperienced staff in all of the majors composed of two guys that have had rough springs, two others that are true rookies and another guy who just finished his first full MLB season and is acting as our ace when he's a solid #3 guy on a good team.  We should see some highs and plenty of lows. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #877: April 08, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
just look at the freaking O's. they are well on their way to sweeping a 3 game series from the YANKEES! while we can't even muster 1 win in 3 games against the mediocre Marlins.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #878: April 08, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
just look at the freaking O's. they are well on their way to sweeping a 3 game series from the YANKEES! while we can't even muster 1 win in 3 games against the mediocre Marlins.

they won monday and are winning today cuz wang was serving up meatballs.  guarantee yanks win tomorrow.  other than guthrie and uherea, the o's could be in for a long season (regarding their rotation).  but their offense is pretty money. 

and honestly the marlins may be contenders this year.

Offline DieselTurtle

• All 600 Pounds
« Reply #879: April 08, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
I won't pick on you if you become an O's fan right now.

Just do it.

Look at all the fun they're having.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #880: April 08, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »

Just do it.

that should be us right now but instead we are getting our brains beat in by the Fish. the O's just hammered two of the best pitchers in the AL.

The O's rotation was supposed to be awful yet they are shutting down the Yankees' powerhouse lineup.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #881: April 08, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »
they won monday and are winning today cuz wang was serving up meatballs.  guarantee yanks win tomorrow.  other than guthrie and uherea, the o's could be in for a long season (regarding their rotation).  but their offense is pretty money. 

and honestly the marlins may be contenders this year.
the fish won't be contenders and you know it. they swept us last year during the first week too but they didn't do any contending. they dominate the nats and are mediocre against all other teams.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #882: April 08, 2009, 08:44:49 PM »

Just do it.

Haha I used to be a big O's fan but not anymore.  Some of their fans (including my middle brother) love to talk crap when Nats lose, but I am quick to remind them how many losing seasons Baltimore has had.  I don't understand why both teams fans can't get along and let each other's team be. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #883: April 08, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »
that should be us right now but instead we are getting our brains beat in by the Fish. the O's just hammered two of the best pitchers in the AL.
we just hammered nolasco, but our starting pitching was terrible. 

the fish won't be contenders and you know it.
no i don't know that.  pundits are calling them the darkhorse in the national league and they have a solid staff, a franchise superstar in hanley ramirez and a few other complementary players such as uggla, hermieda and cantu.

as YOU love to bring up, the NL East is wide open.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #884: April 08, 2009, 08:48:19 PM »
no i don't know that.  pundits are calling them the darkhorse in the national league and they have a solid staff, a franchise superstar in hanley ramirez and a few other complementary players such as uggla, hermieda and cantu.

as YOU love to bring up, the NL East is wide open.
It is wide open for 4 teams. too bad the Nats aren't one of those 4 teams. :?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #885: April 08, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »
we didn't hammer Nolasco. we hit one meaningless HR against him in garbage time. other than that he pitched well against us.

Josh Johnson pwned us as did Volstad today.

sure our offense looks marginally better than it did last year but they still don't produce nearly enough.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #886: April 08, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »
we didn't hammer Nolasco. we hit one meaningless HR against him in garbage time. other than that he pitched well against us.

Josh Johnson pwned us as did Volstad today.

sure our offense looks marginally better than it did last year but they still don't produce nearly enough.
OMG

R. Nolasco - 6.0 ip, 7 h, 5 r, 5 er ... that's pretty freaking good job by our offense.  oh wait that doesn't look to different than cabrera's line today!!!  but i forgot he sucks!!!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #887: April 08, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
OMG

R. Nolasco - 6.0 ip, 7 h, 5 r, 5 er ... that's pretty freaking good job by our offense.  oh wait that doesn't look to different than cabrera's line today!!!  but i forgot he sucks!!!
Nolasco is a proven stud. He made one bad pitch on opening day with a huge lead. it happens. his team still won the game without breaking a sweat.

D-Crab blew a generous 2-0 lead and melted down when he had a chance to keep the game close.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #888: April 08, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
Nolasco is a proven stud. He made one bad pitch on opening day with a huge lead. it happens. his team still won the game without breaking a sweat.

D-Crab blew a generous 2-0 lead and melted down when he had a chance to keep the game close.

a generous lead is 10-3 ... the braves blew that one haha.

the point is, the nats hit nolassco ... john lannan failed the team.  hopefully he brushes his shoulder off and gets back out there and pwn on saturday.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #889: April 08, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »

What's interesting is how much worse this loss looked than it actually was after the first two debacles. If we had simply played this game this way as the opener, it would have felt like we lost similar to games we have and expected to. But in reality, this was a better played game, just with the typical failure at the plate and the breakdown of the starter after looking ok for a while. But in the shadow of the first two, this felt so much worse. I really hope the organization learns from this game, because that lineup was clearly more solid and respectable than what we got earlier. And the main difference is Milledge out of CF and out of the top of the order with a better threat to get on base inserted in the two hole. Have Hernandez in their, along with Flores, and have a decent outing from Martis, and they likely win that one.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #890: April 08, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
What's interesting is how much worse this loss looked than it actually was after the first two debacles. If we had simply played this game this way as the opener, it would have felt like we lost similar to games we have and expected to. But in reality, this was a better played game, just with the typical failure at the plate and the breakdown of the starter after looking ok for a while. But in the shadow of the first two, this felt so much worse. I really hope the organization learns from this game, because that lineup was clearly more solid and respectable than what we got earlier. And the main difference is Milledge out of CF and out of the top of the order with a better threat to get on base inserted in the two hole. Have Hernandez in their, along with Flores, and have a decent outing from Martis, and they likely win that one.
You think they can beat Lowe? He has always dominated us and I would expect that trend to continue now that he is with the Braves. This team has never been able to hit sinker-ballers (Hudson, Lowe, and today Volstad).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #891: April 08, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
You think they can beat Lowe? He has always dominated us and I would expect that trend to continue now that he is with the Braves. This team has never been able to hit sinker-ballers (Hudson, Lowe, and today Volstad).
Do I think we can?  Yes, I think we can.  I don't know that we will.  Almost the same thing happened last year, maybe two years ago.  We go into Atlanta scuffling, set to go up against their ace, Smoltz.  Should be completely over matched but they won.  It's baseball.  Strange things happen in this game.  I wouldn't be shocked to see this team won on Friday.  We've been much more competitive vs. every other team in the division the past couple of years than we have the Marlins.  I think it will just be good to not see them in the other dugout.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #892: April 08, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
Do I think we can?  Yes, I think we can.  I don't know that we will.  Almost the same thing happened last year, maybe two years ago.  We go into Atlanta scuffling, set to go up against their ace, Smoltz.  Should be completely over matched but they won.  It's baseball.  Strange things happen in this game.  I wouldn't be shocked to see this team won on Friday.  We've been much more competitive vs. every other team in the division the past couple of years than we have the Marlins.  I think it will just be good to not see them in the other dugout.
yep. but just 1 win won't change everything. we'll still be 1-3 and in last place. we have to play consistent winning baseball over the long haul.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #893: April 08, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »
Gotta start somewhere.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #894: April 08, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »

hahahaha oh and d-cab made one mistake and gave up 3 runs on one pitch.  take the hate blinders off man.  you gotta be consistent.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #895: April 08, 2009, 09:44:46 PM »

I am not expecting it, no. I just feel like despite having a couple of backups in the lineup and Manny making managerial mistakes, this team did ok if not for Cabrera's breakdown. Cabrera stinks, so of course, we would expect him to get creamed. But the team looked ok at the core. With a decent pitching performance and thoughtful management, it's a different story. I am not sure what to expect from JZ this season, because he really has no exposure to big-league hitting. But I have a hunch that Martis is going to emerge as the best guy we have as the season wears on.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #896: April 08, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
hahahaha oh and d-cab made one mistake and gave up 3 runs on one pitch.  take the hate blinders off man.  you gotta be consistent.
Hah, you have him there.  You can't say we didn't do really well against Nolasco in one breath and then claim that D-Crap got hammered.  It's one or the other.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #897: April 08, 2009, 09:46:10 PM »
well that one pitch was the difference between winning and losing. Nolasco just threw the ball down the plate because he had such a large lead. he could afford to give up a few runs. Pitching with a big lead is A LOT different than pitching in a close game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #898: April 08, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
I am not expecting it, no. I just feel like despite having a couple of backups in the lineup and Manny making managerial mistakes, this team did ok if not for Cabrera's breakdown. Cabrera stinks, so of course, we would expect him to get creamed. But the team looked ok at the core. With a decent pitching performance and thoughtful management, it's a different story. I am not sure what to expect from JZ this season, because he really has no exposure to big-league hitting. But I have a hunch that Martis is going to emerge as the best guy we have as the season wears on.
yeah, I know you're not a fan of Lannan.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #899: April 08, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »
nats are going to win 6-3 on friday.  it's up to martis, he went 5 ip, 4 h, 2 er, 5 bb @ the braves last year (his mlb debut - a loss).  if he can repeat those numbers, but cut back on the walks i like our chances.