Author Topic: Soccer Thread (2011)  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #25: January 19, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
Back-to-back long range goals. 

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #26: January 19, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Everything is just louder in Leeds...the stadium, the fans, the Who concerts...

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #28: January 20, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
I would be ecstatic with either of those sites. I'll believe it when shovels start turning earth though.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #29: January 20, 2011, 11:57:20 PM »
Buzzard Point actually seems like a viable option but DCU isn't getting anything until a new investor joins Chang to add investment capital to the venture and stability to the franchise.

I have a sneaking hunch that we'll be talking about Baltimore United after this season (RFK is a massive dump at this point).

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #30: January 21, 2011, 12:41:58 AM »
Probably true. 

I have been a DCU fan since the start of the league and haven't missed a game in quite a few years, but I don't feel optimistic about things here in DC.  Mayor Mugabe is unlikely to be any more of an ally than Fenty was when it comes to city financing of squat on this side of the Anacostia, and Poplar Point is dead of a thousand cuts, so never mind east of the water.  A private/private development deal by Gallaudet might actually grow legs if Chang can scare up some more capital, but I can't see anything happening on the river.  Hope I'm wrong.     

Buzzard Point actually seems like a viable option but DCU isn't getting anything until a new investor joins Chang to add investment capital to the venture and stability to the franchise.

I have a sneaking hunch that we'll be talking about Baltimore United after this season (RFK is a massive dump at this point).

Offline Dave B

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #31: January 21, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »
what makes the baltimore deal any more real than the PG county deal? all these cities/counties/states can offer these things, but ultimately some legislative body somewhere has to vote on it. voting for these things anywhere is unpopular. that is what killed PG. they had the same anti stadium sentiment DC had for the nationals, except the bad timing/economy killed it.  

if we are going to assume it takes a private development to do this. what is more attractive, dc or bmore? i'd invest my money in dc because the economy didnt go to complete crap around here and there is more affluence

Offline Potomac Cannons

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #32: January 21, 2011, 01:58:38 AM »
what makes the baltimore deal any more real than the PG county deal? all these cities/counties/states can offer these things, but ultimately some legislative body somewhere has to vote on it. voting for these things anywhere is unpopular. that is what killed PG. they had the same anti stadium sentiment DC had for the nationals, except the bad timing/economy killed it.  

if we are going to assume it takes a private development to do this. what is more attractive, dc or bmore? i'd invest my money in dc because the economy didnt go to complete crap around here and there is more affluence

Baltimore financed a study to determine the viability of moving DCU there and found several options that work within their city budget structure.

I believe there were even some Balt. County options as well.

Offline Dave B

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #33: January 21, 2011, 02:04:35 AM »
Baltimore financed a study to determine the viability of moving DCU there and found several options that work within their city budget structure.

but they still gotta vote on it. the nats stadium probably fit within our budget too. payments from stadium area taxes and taxis on the largest dc businesses (an involuntary tax increase was needed for some parties).  

baltimore can say their crap is in order but until that year's budget needs to be voted on, nothing is settled. if baltimore has a city council mechanism like dc, i'm pretty sure there would be more ward 7 and 8 -like representation that dc had, and dc  barely got their crap passed.

the only thing that might help the bmore bid is that it might be a maryland-wide body that decides it, because it is the maryland stadium authority or something.

dc is dc. baltimore is baltimore and MD

PG shot it down. Baltimore representation might shoot it down (although maybe not if it is maryland money). Does other Maryland representation want to build a stadium in Bmore? Would the easter shore vote yes?

I think Baltimore is far from certain

Offline Potomac Cannons

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #34: January 21, 2011, 02:17:52 AM »
And then there's this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2011/01/20/dc-united-ceo-plans-to-start-talk-with.html

Baltimore is losing some of the major sports city cache it had with the summer months being a complete lose in Blo's land.  They've got a developer in an area they are definitely going to completely redo and he wants DCU and a 20,000 stadium as a centerpiece.

Offline Dave B

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #35: January 21, 2011, 02:35:07 AM »
Even Baltimore is looking to build it with private dollars. All the MSA said was that having a stadium is good. No crap, MSA.  It doesnt mention who is going to pay for it

Baltimore has one private developer looking into the matter, DC has two (Akridge and J Street)

how much public money are each of these guys trying to get? whatever, at least there seem to be some options. and dc has two of them, which would hint at dc just being a better site ( i think)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #36: January 21, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »
DC carries the built in fan base of good size.  A stadium that solidifies things would likely give a boost over the rat trap that needs to be blown up.

If I'm Change and DCU I'm pitching the idea that a new stadium, especially the Buzzard Park location, both helps build up that part of town and allows the demolition of RFK in hopes of building something new there to bring the Redskins back within city limits.

Offline HalfSmokes

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #37: January 21, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
No way DC contributes any significant money to a soccer stadium, given municipal budgets throughout the region, I doubt anywhere else does either

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #38: January 22, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
Well that paid off quickly for Villa...
Damn, Aston Villa got Darren Bent. They've really improved their team this week.

Carlos Tevez is whooping as these days. He just scored another one.

Offline ronnynat

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #39: January 22, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Well that paid off quickly for Villa...

:( 

I hate Gareth Barry.

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #40: January 23, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
Van Persie with a hat trick, and almost four goals.  When not injured, he is amazing.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #41: January 26, 2011, 01:35:34 AM »
Dear MLS,

Put the freaking schedule for the season out already.  It's January, you've had your draft, preseason has already started for 10 teams, and the season opener is March 15. 

Schedule. Now. Dammit.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #42: January 26, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
Dear MLS,

Put the freaking schedule for the season out already.  It's January, you've had your draft, preseason has already started for 10 teams, and the season opener is March 15. 

Schedule. Now. Dammit.
Don't they first have to figure out where united plays?

By the way, on United's stadium, was there ever any talk about going halfsies with one of the local colleges, like MD / GMU / Georgetown, on  stadium built near a campus that both the school and the college could use?

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #43: January 26, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
United will play at RFK this year, that is the one "known known"...the team and the DC Sports & Recreation Commission signed off on that some time ago.  After this year, it is anyones guess.  As for a shared facility shared with a local college,the idea did surface on the local fan boards, but didn't receive any serious attention that I know of.  This is probably because the revenue needs of a pro club require such things as box seating and alcoholic bevvies.  It might be a possible interim solution...I believe that both Salt Lake and Kansas City shared with college teams at some point, and San Jose still does.  This season, expansion MLS team Portland will share a facility with a local college football team (or rather, a local college pointy throwball team).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #44: January 26, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »
of course, the derivation of "football" for the Walter Camp rules version is because it is played on foot, in contrast to a horse sport, and the term "soccer" is an English slang term for football played under the FA.

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #45: January 26, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
Interesting, I did not know that.  I guess the game that Cutler was playing on Sunday should then be properly called "backball"
of course, the derivation of "football" for the Walter Camp rules version is because it is played on foot, in contrast to a horse sport

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #46: January 26, 2011, 03:09:44 PM »
It's only Wiki, but the derivation of "soccer" is discussed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football

Offline blue911

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #47: January 26, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
Interesting, I did not know that.  I guess the game that Cutler was playing on Sunday should then be properly called "backball"

I think he was playing Lackofball

Offline PatsNats28

Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #48: January 26, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »
United will play at RFK this year, that is the one "known known"...the team and the DC Sports & Recreation Commission signed off on that some time ago.  After this year, it is anyones guess.  As for a shared facility shared with a local college,the idea did surface on the local fan boards, but didn't receive any serious attention that I know of.  This is probably because the revenue needs of a pro club require such things as box seating and alcoholic bevvies.  It might be a possible interim solution...I believe that both Salt Lake and Kansas City shared with college teams at some point, and San Jose still does.  This season, expansion MLS team Portland will share a facility with a local college football team (or rather, a local college pointy throwball team).

Portland or Portland State?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Soccer Thread (2011)
« Reply #49: January 27, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
The Italian media is reporting that a group of investors with Boston ties is negotiating to buy the AS Roma soccer team. Thomas R. Di Benedetto, president of investment management firm Boston International Group and a partner at New England Sports Ventures, is reportedly the lead investor in these discussions currently taking place in New York. He is reportedly joined by other local investors, including Michael A. Ruane, of Boston real estate advisory firm TA Associates Realty, and Richard D'Amore, a partner at venture capital firm Northbridge Venture Partners in Waltham.

Di Benedetto doing this outside NESV.  Henry and Werner not involved.
http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2011/01/boston_investor.html?p1=Upbox_links