Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 107566 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1300: April 29, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
I can't stop watching QI lately.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1301: April 29, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
I can't stop watching QI lately.
That's because it's awesome. It got me through grad school. I'm on the series (5) where Alan finally starts winning occasionally, and even though he's won a few times now the feeling of triumph never lessens.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1302: April 30, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
revolution has been good recently.  didn't get to watch the season finale of the following or vikings yet.

mad men has been excellent (no surprise, it always is).  Game of Thrones, too, has been fantastic. 

Offline Optics

« Reply #1303: April 30, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
revolution has been good recently.  didn't get to watch the season finale of the following or vikings yet.

mad men has been excellent (no surprise, it always is).  Game of Thrones, too, has been fantastic.

The Following went to crap fast. Revolution is at times sloppily written and the main actress chick can't act, but the story has gotten better.

I need to get into Vikings. I just got into Defiance(new show anyway)and I'd recommend it. It's quite good.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1304: April 30, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
The Following went to crap fast. Revolution is at times sloppily written and the main actress chick can't act, but the story has gotten better.

I need to get into Vikings. I just got into Defiance(new show anyway)and I'd recommend it. It's quite good.

revolution has gotten a lot better ... they draw tons of solid actors/actresses to fill bit roles on the show, which helps. 

vikings is pretty bad ass.  setting up for tons of action and endless possibilities in future seasons. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1305: April 30, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
the problem with the following, its so much like 24, where the plot line starts at point A ends up at point Q, goes to point H, then to point Z.  they could really keep all the twists, but still keep it simpler and a much better flow. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1306: April 30, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
the problem with the following, its so much like 24, where the plot line starts at point A ends up at point Q, goes to point H, then to point Z.  they could really keep all the twists, but still keep it simpler and a much better flow. 

that's what happens in serialized television- you need an overarching plot, but also enough mini plots to create episodes that each have a beginning and an end. That's also why I hate reading books that were originally published serially

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1307: May 01, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
So here's the basically SFW trailer to the p0rn parody of Parks & Rec.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1308: May 03, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »
One of the better The Office episodes tonight. How many more are left?

two more, series finale on 5/16.  will be a reunion episode where they sit around and talk about the filming of "The Office" mockumentry

Offline Optics

« Reply #1309: May 05, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »

Except 24 was 10000x better. Better story, better acting, better everything.

I miss 24. :(

Does anyone watch the Charlie Sheen comedy Anger Management on FX? It looks like one of those stupid but funny shows FX is known for, like It's Always Sunny and The League. Might give it a shot.

Offline imref

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1311: May 06, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
Pretty sure that's from a few years ago.  I remember Jezza going around the track on a bicycle.

Offline imref

« Reply #1312: May 06, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
Pretty sure that's from a few years ago.  I remember Jezza going around the track on a bicycle.

Clarkson just posted it to his facebook fan page.

Offline imref

« Reply #1313: May 09, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
2nd to last The Office tonight. :(

This has been a really good year, I'm going to miss that show.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1314: May 10, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »
Great episode tonight. It's really picking up steam heading to the finale.

Offline imref

« Reply #1315: May 10, 2013, 12:42:43 AM »
Great episode tonight. It's really picking up steam heading to the finale.

Agreed. 

Offline Optics

« Reply #1316: May 11, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
Meh, Office has stunk the last few seasons. But I do agree Thursday's episode was quite good. I'll probably shed a tear or two watching the finale.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1317: May 13, 2013, 12:00:55 AM »
This is the Arrested Development Season 4 trailer.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1318: May 13, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
Seth Meyers to take over for Fallon after Fallon takes over for Leno.

I like it.. as I've always enjoyed Seth Meyers.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1319: May 13, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »
Seth Meyers to take over for Fallon after Fallon takes over for Leno.

I like it.. as I've always enjoyed Seth Meyers.

I don't get this move that much. NBC is putting all their eggs in one basket - Fallon and Meyers are similar, appealing to a very similar demographic/audience. Look at Leno and Conan, Carson and Letterman, Leno and Fallon, Letterman and Kilborn, Letterman and Ferguson. Different brands of humor, different tastes, different targets. This? You've got young SNL dude numero uno and numero dos.

I can't stand Fallon, but might watch Meyers (Although Craig will always be #1 for me at 12:35.) Still, I'm not sold on the wisdom of this... More so with Fallon taking over Tonight than anything else, but I think there's something to be said for not having carbon copies back-to-back on late night talkers.

NBC also just canceled basically every comedy they had. Community and Parks and Rec are the sole survivors, from a network whose Must See TV saw comedies lasting ages and dominating the ratings. I continue to be amazed at the ineptitude that continues at NBC, and how they've yet to annhilate their entire executive/decision-making staff and start anew.

And Arrested Development S4? Everything I read about it gets me more excited. Netflix is going to be swimming in cash this month. NBC could take a lesson here - AD was anybody's game before Netflix picked it up. Look at the insane hype and media attention S4 is getting before even a minute of the pilot has been seen. That right there is TV making done right, and now Netflix will bask in a deserved reward for resurrecting one of the greatest comedies in history. I just hope it doesn't end here, and next year we can all be posting with anticipation over S5.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #1320: May 15, 2013, 02:54:44 AM »
Other than the SNL connection, I don't see how Fallon and Meyers are all that similar.

I'm not a huge believer in Fallon, though I liked him in Fever Pitch, but at least Fallon in my mind seems like he's used to the whole song and dance and doesn't come off as a tryhard. Watching Myers though, he could be really funny if he had presence, but his delivery is so bad I cringe everytime he tries to make a joke. He's like a kid wandering onto his high school's talent show for an open mic and waits for that elusive laugh everytime he tries to make a funny. 

Offline imref

« Reply #1321: May 15, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »
with the Office coming to an end tomorrow night, are there any "must see" sitcoms left?

Over the last 30 years it seems that there was always at least one "must see" weekly sitcom: Mash-Cheers-Seinfeld-The Office, but it seems as if this is the end of the line.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1322: May 15, 2013, 09:07:45 AM »
with the Office coming to an end tomorrow night, are there any "must see" sitcoms left?

Over the last 30 years it seems that there was always at least one "must see" weekly sitcom: Mash-Cheers-Seinfeld-The Office, but it seems as if this is the end of the line.

I don't know that we'll ever see another sitcom that you can expect anyone you run into to be conversant about. Even with the office, the ratings have been going steadily downhill. I consider parks and rec must see, but it doesn't have very good ratings, the only show with new seasons that I actually look forward to is Top Gear uk

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1323: May 15, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »

Well, there's Parks and Rec, but then, I like Parks and Rec for a lot of the same reasons I never liked The Office, so not sure if you would.

The funniest show on TV is probably Phineas & Ferb.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1324: May 15, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
Modern Family is pretty darn great