Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105829 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #1175: May 09, 2016, 12:37:12 PM »
Good memory - I did used to have an bear avatar - a pix we took a couple years ago of someone raiding one of the feeders.  You couldn't tell from the picture, but that fellow was all grown up - about 6 feet tall standing up.  We didn't see him around last year, so we figured maybe he'd moved on or some hunter got him as a "trophy".     >:(

But based on the plop we saw, either Big Boy is back or some of the cubs we've seen around in prior years are quite grown up now.  We definitely keep a close eye on the resident min pin when he's outside - he's fully capable of being feisty (and foolish) enough to challenge a bear. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1176: May 09, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
Good memory - I did used to have an bear avatar - a pix we took a couple years ago of someone raiding one of the feeders.  You couldn't tell from the picture, but that fellow was all grown up - about 6 feet tall standing up.  We didn't see him around last year, so we figured maybe he'd moved on or some hunter got him as a "trophy".     >:(

But based on the plop we saw, either Big Boy is back or some of the cubs we've seen around in prior years are quite grown up now.  We definitely keep a close eye on the resident min pin when he's outside - he's fully capable of being feisty (and foolish) enough to challenge a bear. 

haha I have a Jack Russell who'd do the same, little dogs definitely have the Napoleon complex  :lol: Sounds absolutely beautiful where your cabin is though. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #1177: May 09, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »
Oh yeah, min pins and Jack Russells are definitely out of the same mold!

Offline whytev

« Reply #1178: May 09, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »
haha I have a Jack Russell who'd do the same, little dogs definitely have the Napoleon complex  :lol: Sounds absolutely beautiful where your cabin is though.

Mine was the same until he got bitten by a coyote and passed away.  :icon_frown:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1179: May 09, 2016, 09:17:36 PM »
Mine was the same until he got bitten by a coyote and passed away.  :icon_frown:

Oh man that sucks, sorry :(

Offline whytev

« Reply #1180: May 09, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
Oh man that sucks, sorry :(

It was 25 years ago but thanks!

Offline wj73

« Reply #1181: May 10, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
Whytev, I'm so sorry.  That one had to really hurt. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #1182: May 10, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »
Was walking the dog last night, and watched a fox get buzzed numerous times by a mockingbird.  You could tell the fox was getting really irritated!  It was amusing to watch.  I suspect it was the same mom fox who had the baby rescued from the storm drain, as it was near where their den is hidden.  Poor mom is not having a good week!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1183: May 30, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
Can't get over how bad I feel about the gorilla being put down/shot in Cincinnati.    It really pisses me off.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1184: May 30, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »
Can't get over how bad I feel about the gorilla being put down/shot in Cincinnati.    It really pisses me off.

Me too Mitlen me too, enraged really and really rethinking how I feel about zoos altogether :(

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1185: May 30, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »
Me too Mitlen me too, enraged really and really rethinking how I feel about zoos altogether :(

Same here skip.   We put the gorilla in an enclosure and then blame it for being a gorilla.    I hope they lay the lumber to the child's parent (whoever was watching the child).

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1186: May 30, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
Same here skip.   We put the gorilla in an enclosure and then blame it for being a gorilla.    I hope they lay the lumber to the child's parent (whoever was watching the child).

I really, really don't understand how this child was able to get in the enclosure when it's never happened before, how long was it out of the parents sight?  I hate to automatically blame the parent because sometimes things happen in the blink of an eye seemingly but again, it's never happened before so it can't be THAT easy, either way yea we destroyed that gorilla, put him on display to gawk at and then kill him when he's done nothing wrong :( I understand why the zoo had to think of the child first but still, gorilla was treated disgracefully there's no way around it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1187: May 30, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
I really, really don't understand how this child was able to get in the enclosure when it's never happened before, how long was it out of the parents sight?  I hate to automatically blame the parent because sometimes things happen in the blink of an eye seemingly but again, it's never happened before so it can't be THAT easy, either way yea we destroyed that gorilla, put him on display to gawk at and then kill him when he's done nothing wrong :( I understand why the zoo had to think of the child first but still, gorilla was treated disgracefully there's no way around it.

In my eyes, it's child endangerment.    We've all lost track of the youngsters on occasion.   One time, my boy and I were at a petting zoo.   I lost track of him for just a sec (he thought it was funny hiding from me).    So I asked a guy close by, "Did you see a little boy"   .. described him.    The guy says, "It's not my job to watch him."     I sez, "I didn't ask you to watch him.   I asked if you saw him.    What are you're children gonna think when you don't make it home tonight?"     :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1188: May 30, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
I'd like to see whoever decided to use a gun charged under the endangered species act. If nothing else that mother should be subjected to a child services investigation (now that her identity is out, I'm betting they've gotten calls and.most places they're required to investigate), having to deal with that seems fair

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1189: May 30, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »
I'd like to see whoever decided to use a gun charged under the endangered species act. If nothing else that mother should be subjected to a child services investigation (now that her identity is out, I'm betting they've gotten calls and.most places they're required to investigate), having to deal with that seems fair

She's being killed on social media and I think that's over the top, if it's that easy for a child to get into the gorilla exhibit that's on the zoo.  Did they not know the gorilla could get into the moat? Seems the zoo is getting off lightly, it can't be that easy for a 4 year old to end up there no matter that a parent should've made sure the child didn't get the opportunity.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1190: May 30, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »
She's being killed on social media and I think that's over the top, if it's that easy for a child to get into the gorilla exhibit that's on the zoo.  Did they not know the gorilla could get into the moat? Seems the zoo is getting off lightly, it can't be that easy for a 4 year old to end up there no matter that a parent should've made sure the child didn't get the opportunity.
I heard yesterday that they passed multiple inspections by the government and the zoo association. Time will tell. Sounds like it was designed to keep adults out but not the feisty four year old.

The problem nowadays is a rush to judgment before the facts are in.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1191: May 30, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »
I heard yesterday that they passed multiple inspections by the government and the zoo association. Time will tell. Sounds like it was designed to keep adults out but not the feisty four year old.

Agreed but no matter what, it was not the gorillas fault and yet he paid the price, that's what sucks :(

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1192: May 30, 2016, 05:06:49 PM »
Agreed but no matter what, it was not the gorillas fault and yet he paid the price, that's what sucks :(
Very true.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1193: May 30, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »
The barrier separating visitors from the gorilla enclosure exceeded "any required protocols," Maynard said, adding that while the barrier is over 3 feet high, "anyone" can climb it if they "want to,"

Most Three-year-olds could do a muscle-up and be over that in an instant.

I'd like to say that I never lost track of my kids for 10 seconds, but I can't.

Sucks about the ape, though.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1194: May 30, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »

That's what some people do best...

The radio show host in Burbank that is organizing the attack on this woman is scum.  I base that judgement upon the facts - I've seen his posts on Facebook. 

Good on ya for takin' folks to task, Skippy...  :thumbs:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1195: May 30, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
Whatever one thinks of the mother or the kid, it's really the zoo's fault that a 4 year old could figure how to make contact with the gorilla.  What if the kid was an 8 year old ?  The path to the gorilla would be easier to figure out by an older child.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1196: June 01, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
Screw it, it's all just part of the zoo experience, a little taste of life primeval

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1197: June 01, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
Screw it, it's all just part of the zoo experience, a little taste of life primeval

:clap:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1198: June 01, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »

Gorilla's gonna gorilla   ...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1199: June 05, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »

Not in the backyard, but seen on our recent trip to London...a Mandarin Duck...