Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 104150 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #950: January 27, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
The spin-off got nixed. They will air the pilot, though.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #951: January 27, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
About 5 minutes until the frantic refreshes on final gear to look for the new Top Gear episode upload.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #952: January 27, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »
My catching up on Parks and Rec has reached the "End of the World" episode where Andy and April drive to the Grand Canyon. I think this is my favorite sitcom ever.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #953: January 27, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
My catching up on Parks and Rec has reached the "End of the World" episode where Andy and April drive to the Grand Canyon. I think this is my favorite sitcom ever.

:lmao:

Yeah, the show is basically as good as the Office in its prime. Such a hilarious, feel-good show.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #954: January 27, 2013, 11:44:38 PM »
Top Gear acquired, here we go :panic:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #955: January 27, 2013, 11:56:57 PM »
Yeah, the show is basically as good as the Office in its prime. Such a hilarious, feel-good show.

Well what makes it weird is I never really liked "The Office." There were a few episodes I loved - the one where somebody gets run over by a Prius - but it definitely never struck me as a feel-good show. Michael Scott had the opposite effect on me.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #956: January 28, 2013, 02:13:39 AM »
Top Gear acquired, here we go :panic:
I just got it too! Can't wait to watch it later

Offline Coladar

« Reply #957: January 28, 2013, 08:14:57 AM »
Well what makes it weird is I never really liked "The Office." There were a few episodes I loved - the one where somebody gets run over by a Prius - but it definitely never struck me as a feel-good show. Michael Scott had the opposite effect on me.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who felt that way and never 'got it.' I probably watched all of five minutes of the show and the wild popularity was lost on me. I fail to find the humor in a dreary, pointless existence devoted to earning a paycheck while being miserable and surrounded by incompetence.

Hyperbolic and exaggerated that may be, but it's true. An idiot boss, jerk coworker (The dude in glasses)... life sucks enough without pointing out the worst of it and trying to make light/find humor in it. Then add the banal soap opera between the secretary and "cute guy..." Carrell might have comedic chops, but bleh to the rest. Of course when excrement like that ABC alien BS comedy survive and find viewers, nothing surprises me anymore. Whoever conceived of that and green lit it should be waterboarded. Daily.

Call me nuts, but I prefer to watch TV as an escape and not be confronted with what I try to escape from. Give me Raising Hope or, leaving myself open to mocking by admitting I watch it, but Victorious from Dan Schneider.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #958: January 28, 2013, 08:21:43 AM »
The British office was the basis (the just reused plot lines on the us version for a while)  like.  I think that's one of the greatest sitcoms ever,  but it would probably make you madder- less exaggerated characters,  still exaggerated but not to the same degree, the only escape was going to the public after work,  and even the cure secretary wasn't very cute.  I like shows that focus on something other than rich or beautiful people living in Manhattan or la

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #959: January 28, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who felt that way and never 'got it.' I probably watched all of five minutes of the show and the wild popularity was lost on me. I fail to find the humor in a dreary, pointless existence devoted to earning a paycheck while being miserable and surrounded by incompetence.

Hyperbolic and exaggerated that may be, but it's true. An idiot boss, jerk coworker (The dude in glasses)... life sucks enough without pointing out the worst of it and trying to make light/find humor in it. Then add the banal soap opera between the secretary and "cute guy..." Carrell might have comedic chops, but bleh to the rest. Of course when excrement like that ABC alien BS comedy survive and find viewers, nothing surprises me anymore. Whoever conceived of that and green lit it should be waterboarded. Daily.

Call me nuts, but I prefer to watch TV as an escape and not be confronted with what I try to escape from. Give me Raising Hope or, leaving myself open to mocking by admitting I watch it, but Victorious from Dan Schneider.
If you "watched all of five minutes of the show" you are in no way qualified to comment on the quality of the show.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #960: January 28, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
I never really liked "The Office."

I always knew my twin was out there somewhere.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #961: January 28, 2013, 09:47:09 AM »

I never got it either, loved Office Space, but the show is too much like actually being at work.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #962: January 28, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
If you "watched all of five minutes of the show" you are in no way qualified to comment on the quality of the show.
Yeah, I watched pretty close to an entire season, but taken from several seasons of the show (including half of S5; "Golden Ticket" stands out in memory).
Yes! Now what you should do, and also Frau Mau, is go watch "Better Off Ted" and be amazed at how much more hilarious it is. Seriously, BOT is one of my all-time top five favorite TV shows.*

*in uncertain order: Parks & Rec, Better Off Ted, Arrested Development, Phineas and Ferb, Columbo

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #963: January 28, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
I'm not sure if I should feel bad about having never watched any of those shows :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #964: January 28, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »
Better off Ted is great, almost like dilbert in live action

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #965: January 28, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
I'm not sure if I should feel bad about having never watched any of those shows :lol:
Gee, some twin you are!

Veridian Dynamics: Competition. It makes everything better.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #966: January 28, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
The British office was the basis (the just reused plot lines on the us version for a while)  like.  I think that's one of the greatest sitcoms ever,  but it would probably make you madder- less exaggerated characters,  still exaggerated but not to the same degree, the only escape was going to the public after work,  and even the cure secretary wasn't very cute.  I like shows that focus on something other than rich or beautiful people living in Manhattan or la

The first few episodes (six?) of the US Office were copies of the British show... from season 2 on, the show used its own material.

In my mind, Michael Scott is one of the greatest TV characters in history.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #967: January 28, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
to me Michael scott was great after the character started to be written for Steve Carell (i.e after the first season), but the whole show, and his character especially, went way down hill towards the end- the waves of new characters seemed to dilute the chemistry and just never worked as well as the original

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #968: January 28, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
I loved The Office before Michael left.  I didn't think it was very good last year, I haven't watched it this season...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #969: January 28, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
I loved The Office before Michael left.  I didn't think it was very good last year, I haven't watched it this season...

you should give it a shot this year- it's the best season they've had in a while

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #970: January 28, 2013, 01:27:21 PM »
also Frau Mau, is go watch "Better Off Ted"

DO IT! Better off Ted was amazing. I know it is not everyone's type of humor but I absolutely loved it, especially after the first 3 or 4 episodes. Basically it's Eureka (SyFy show) but more focused on the comedy than the inventions.

It's both available on Netflix Instant and Amazon Instant Video so it's accessible.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #971: January 28, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

I meant parks and rec was a feel-good show. everything usually ends up OK but its realistic.

the office is, for the most part, not that at all

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #972: January 28, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Moonshiners---best show on TV. 

Discovery channel

Offline HalfSmokes

Offline Nathan

« Reply #974: January 28, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »
Who said anything about a torrent?  ;)

:lmao:

Skip to 4:40 for my favorite part.