Author Topic: Guillens Team/Vidro's Team  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Dave B

Guillens Team/Vidro's Team
« Topic Start: July 21, 2005, 08:56:27 AM »
Dammit Rileyn, you opened a can of worms with this Vidro discussion.  

Is this Guillen's Team or Vidro's Team?  

Maybe when vidro was out, it was Guillen's team and he had people fired up, even if they were afraid of him.  I dont know if now he defers to Vidro's leadership or what.  But given guillen's personality (childish or whatever). He seems to want to be "The Man".  

When he was The Man (when Vidro was out).  We were winning and he was happy and people were fired up.  Vidro comes back and guillen starts mouthing off in the papers and getting mad at loaiza. The same type of things that happened in Anaheim, plying in Guerrero's shadow.

I also seem to remember that Guillen was slumping early in the year with men on base.  I dont know what the correlation is with guillen playing poorly with vidro in the lineup.

I just think that Guillen is immature and needs to be The Man.  You probably cant change this, except by making him The Man, and he seems to fill that role nicely.

Am I making too much out of Vidro's leadership presence? Ken or one of you other monteal guys can probably answer that.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #1: July 21, 2005, 01:21:27 PM »
Sounds like more than just you are finding excuses to trade Vidro. He's a great second baseman, but your point that the team had more fire while he was out is right on. Because of Vidro's influence (he's never been the play hard and give all type of guy) it would be better for the Nats if he was traded.

How's this for SUPER SHAKE UP?

Trade Jose Vidro, Nick Johnson, Tony Armas, Sunny Kim, Marlon Byrd and 1 or 2 minor league pitchers (Rick Rundles and/or Saul Rivera?) to Texas for Alfonso Soriano, Mark Teixeira (local kid) Kevin Mench (almost a local) and Joaquin Benoit.

Trade Brad Wilkerson, Luis Ayala and Michael Hinckley to Tampa Bay for Julio Lugo and Danys Baez

Then purchase lefty Matt White's contract to fill Armas' spot in the rotation. After The White move, the Nats will have 3 empty spots on their 40 man roster, leaving room to maneuver when Mateo and other players come off the 60 day DL

So does all that have enough SHOCK value? LOLOL

BigRChurchfan

« Reply #2: July 21, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »
other than NJ, I'd be all for that trade.

actually, i'd trade Texieria for NJ any day of the week.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #3: July 21, 2005, 01:40:04 PM »
Anyone else thoink Vidro looks like he's trying to prove he's 20 again?

Couple of times he's gone way out into the OF for balls (and may have distracted Guillen one time and Wilson another who might have had a play on them). This isn't really typical of him.

Also, the attempted stretch of a double into a triple last night. Again not typical Vidro play and looks like he's trying to hard.

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

« Reply #4: July 21, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »
I really liked Vidro, but honestly, I, after his performance of late, and the fact he ISNT the "give it his all" type of guy. I dont like players like that, never have, never will, no matter how GOOD they are.  If this is the case... Trade him.  

IM so dissatisfied with him, that tonight when he comes to bat, im think Im going to BOO him.

Let Guillen have the job, because hes shown hes much more effective at it than Vidro.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #5: July 21, 2005, 06:49:33 PM »
In my opinion, this is Guillen's team.  He has earned it by playing hurt and delivering clutch hits and plays in the field.  Sure, he mouths off sometimes but he is a gamer.  

This is a great debate though.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: July 21, 2005, 07:07:19 PM »
I wonder if naming Guillen captain would help settle things?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #7: July 21, 2005, 07:32:17 PM »
We don't need any "team captains" in my humble opinion.  That goes against the grain of each and every player making a contribution and worth just as much as the other.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: July 21, 2005, 07:56:02 PM »
So I guess they Yankees and all the world championships they've won with a team captain means nothing I guess

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #9: July 21, 2005, 11:28:26 PM »
I think neither Vidro OR Guillen should be "Captains" of this team.

Jamey Carroll and Brian Schneider should be Co-Captains.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #10: July 21, 2005, 11:40:33 PM »
It makes not much of a difference, no one on the team really deserves to be named captain...

According to RotoWorld....

Jose Guillen, who has been battling shoulder, rib and foot injuries, said he might get a cortisone shot that would keep him out for a couple of days. It'd be nice if he could wait until Nick Johnson returned. As is, Marlon Byrd would fill in for him.

When it rains, it pours... Another player with an excuse for not hitting in the clutch...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #11: July 22, 2005, 01:17:15 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
So I guess they Yankees and all the world championships they've won with a team captain means nothing I guess

That's because they have superstar players and naming Derek Jeter "captain" doesn't mean a bucket of spit to Alex Rodgriguez.  But if you do that with a team that has all mediocre players you will foster animosity.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #12: July 22, 2005, 01:29:49 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
But if you do that with a team that has all mediocre players you will foster animosity.

Yup... I agree 100%

But don't say that in front of a Nats fan, they'll rip your head off, then 5 minutes later, after a little reflection, scratch their chin and say, "You know, that guy was right"

gosensgo05

« Reply #13: July 22, 2005, 10:32:48 AM »
Actually, Brian Schneider is the unofficial team captain.  He's the union representative for the team as well.  

The problem with Schneider is that he is a nice guy.  Nice guys don't make the best leaders.  That's why you need someone who can kick butt in the clubhouse but also be the best cheerleader.