Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 53319 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #450: October 26, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
those droid commercials bashing the iphone are so stupid :roll:

I have had the iphone 3g since it first came out last year and love it.

I'd actually agree with Nathan, I think it's a very effective ad.  The ending could've been better though.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #451: October 26, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
I'd actually agree with Nathan, I think it's a very effective ad.  The ending could've been better though.
Yeah, they don't really say what it is, but it's really supposed to be a teaser to get people interested.  The actual product won't be introduced until the 28th at an event by Verizon.

My dad asked me the other day what this phone was that people were talking about that might be better than the iPhone.  "You mean Droid?"  "Yeah!  That's it!  What is it?  Maybe I'll get one."  This is from my dad, a guy that doesn't know tech and really doesn't use the phone he has now.  For someone like him to be interested, that to me says that the ad is doing its job of getting people's interest piqued.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #452: October 27, 2009, 12:39:19 AM »
Bipolar?  I hope it has a lithium battery.

Somebody's running Virtualbox

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #453: October 28, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »
Microsoft published a 140 page Windows 7 user guide.  Downloads available as either PDF or XPS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b3c68ec2-e726-4830-ac89-31c71d6be5f3

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #454: October 28, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
Now you can use a limited version of Google Voice with your existing Phone Number.

basically the Voicemail portion of Google Voice.

http://tiny.cc/qwJ3i

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #455: October 28, 2009, 10:48:42 AM »
did you get my geek-related PM JMad?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #456: October 28, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »
Microsoft published a 140 page Windows 7 user guide.  Downloads available as either PDF or XPS

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b3c68ec2-e726-4830-ac89-31c71d6be5f3

Cool, thanks for the link :thumbs:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #457: October 28, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
did you get my geek-related PM JMad?

oh yeah, i forgot to respond.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #458: October 29, 2009, 02:54:47 PM »
http://windows.kde.org/

Anyone played with this? I'm a GNOME person, but this is interesting.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #459: October 29, 2009, 04:49:53 PM »
http://windows.kde.org/

Anyone played with this? I'm a GNOME person, but this is interesting.
Me too.  I always found KDE a little to "flashy" and more resource intensive.  It works better for Windows users though, it's a little more familiar to them than gnome.

There is also a KDE project for OS X which I would imagine was a little easier to port based on OS X's unix base (POSIX compliant Open Brand UNIX 03 registered) and X11 available on the disc.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #460: October 29, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
the new version of Ubuntu came out today. anyone tried it?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #461: October 29, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
the new version of Ubuntu came out today. anyone tried it?

I refuse to try any more Ubuntu releases until they update that stone-age interface they call a UI.  A quick glance at the tour page for 9.10 told me everything I needed to know.

Not ranting at you, just ranting about Ubuntu in general.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #462: October 29, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »
I refuse to try any more Ubuntu releases until they update that stone-age interface they call a UI.  A quick glance at the tour page for 9.10 told me everything I needed to know.

But...but...but... Orange and Black is a great color scheme :lol:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #463: October 29, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
I refuse to try any more Ubuntu releases until they update that stone-age interface they call a UI.  A quick glance at the tour page for 9.10 told me everything I needed to know.

oh i don't care. was just putting it out there.

I'm still using XP cause I can't afford Windows 7. and I don't think I am tech-savvy enough to get my Cricket Broadband working in Ubuntu.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #464: October 29, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm starting to pay more attention to the Web software I use. particularly in Social Media. honestly, i find I care a lot more about the Web Apps I use than the Software and OS that is actually on my computer.

anyhow, reading about Google Friend Connect right now. it sounds just like the thing that Facebook has that lets you use your Facebook account to log into other websites.

http://www.google.com/friendconnect

wasn't aware until now just how deep the feud between Google and Facebook is.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #465: October 29, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »
oh i don't care. was just putting it out there.

I'm still using XP cause I can't afford Windows 7. and I don't think I am tech-savvy enough to get my Cricket Broadband working in Ubuntu.
Did a little googling and it doesn't look like it would be that hard if you already have it activated under windows.

TO me, that's part of the fun in Linux, fiddling around with crap and finally getting it working, it feels like an accomplishment.  It's also why I don't use Linux as a full-time OS and mostly as a "hobby".

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #466: October 29, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »
Did a little googling and it doesn't look like it would be that hard if you already have it activated under windows.

TO me, that's part of the fun in Linux, fiddling around with crap and finally getting it working, it feels like an accomplishment.  It's also why I don't use Linux as a full-time OS and mostly as a "hobby".

This.

Although since Windows 7 is so awesome, I think I'm going to kill my linux partition and move everything to a virtual machine. I need an external HD with NTFS to back up my virtual machine (filesize is too large for FAT32), then I'm good to go.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #467: October 29, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
This.

Although since Windows 7 is so awesome, I think I'm going to kill my linux partition and move everything to a virtual machine. I need an external HD with NTFS to back up my virtual machine (filesize is too large for FAT32), then I'm good to go.

Probably what I'll do too.  Keep a Linux VM open in fullscreen mode on one of the "Spaces" that you get on OS X.  "Spaces" is basically a direct copy of the multiple desktop feature of the Linux DE's so I'd get fullscreen goodness of both.  Maybe even see how it would run with a Win7 one too :lol:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #468: October 29, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I'm thinking for the next iPhone/iPod Touch software, they should incorporate a search function within websites/emails. Would make it a ton easier... like apple-f.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #469: October 29, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
 :thumbs: to HP. Just got back my laptop which I sent for repair just two weeks ago because the monitor was crapping out (probably due to me dropping it so many times  8)). Not only did they fix the monitor they also fixed/replaced my trackpad which was kind of messed up. Warranty covered it all.

I also got the RAM I ordered for my old Gateway laptop tonight. Took 10 minutes to swap the chips out and voila, I doubled my RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #470: October 29, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »
:thumbs: to HP. Just got back my laptop which I sent for repair just two weeks ago because the monitor was crapping out (probably due to me dropping it so many times  8)). Not only did they fix the monitor they also fixed/replaced my trackpad which was kind of messed up. Warranty covered it all.

I also got the RAM I ordered for my old Gateway laptop tonight. Took 10 minutes to swap the chips out and voila, I doubled my RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB.

I almost had an aneurysm due to a God awful horrible service experience with HP. They fixed my laptop up to last until the warranty ended, then it died within the week.

Never ever will I buy one of their products ever again.

When you get to a high enough level of customer service, they assign you to one person only. Then that person never calls you back, and your case is "solved" - I was told my only hope was to wait until he was sick or out of the office, and then someone else could help me. Stunning incompetence.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #471: October 30, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
Windows 7 converted my fake PS printer to PCL so all the files I have printed to lately became scrambled PCL files. I had to download a demo of a converter and reprint them to PS files. So annoying - why can't windows use PS as a standard.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #472: October 30, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »
Because it doesn't matter to most people, and PCL is more common.  Same reason you don't see Firewire used nearly as much as USB (well, that and Apple's pricing on Firewire ports)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #473: October 30, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
Because it doesn't matter to most people, and PCL is more common.  Same reason you don't see Firewire used nearly as much as USB (well, that and Apple's pricing on Firewire ports)

Try editing a PCL file with a text editor and report back to me :lol: It seems Windows really doesnt want you to print to file.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #474: October 30, 2009, 11:13:25 AM »
Try editing a PCL file with a text editor and report back to me :lol: It seems Windows really doesnt want you to print to file.

doesn't matter to most people

Have you tried this?

Admittedly I'm not very familiar with the intricacies of PS, but setting up a printer like this using any of the PS-based drivers included with Windows should work, shouldn't it?