Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50819 times)

Online aspenbubba

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #150: October 31, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Yes, but they won't be the only players who can fill in in the outfield - Lombo has even played out there. And Eury Perez would almost certainly be called up before Goodwin

Regardless, I would be absolutely shocked if Goodwin is up before September.

I'm thinking Corey Brown before Perez.

Also , my guess is that the dollar amount isn't coming to play in the negotiations but it is the third year and WHAT TYPE of option is connected with it. I bet the Nats are saying a mutual option and ALR is saying  I want the 3rd year guaranteed.

La Roche would become a great bench bat in the third year but a very expensive one. But remember that we already won a WS by then and our attendance is over 3.2 mil.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #151: October 31, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »
What possible purpose does a mutual option serve?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #152: October 31, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
La Roche would become a great bench bat in the third year but a very expensive one.

If we get a solid two years out of him, the third year is the price we pay, and I think it's worth it. 

(Almost made a freudian slip. Said "werth" it, but caught it before I hit "Post".)

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #153: October 31, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
What possible purpose does a mutual option serve?

He has one now and is an escape clause for both parties if the performance exceeds expectations or falls short.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #154: October 31, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
He has one now and is an escape clause for both parties if the performance exceeds expectations or falls short.

Point is, is there any substantive difference between a two-year contract and the same contract with a mutual option for year three.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #155: October 31, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Point is, is there any substantive difference between a two-year contract and the same contract with a mutual option for year three.

No. Even from a purely economic stand point,  if a player was worth the amount the option was for,  they'd be better off declining taking the buyout and then signing elsewhere for their full value.  Has anyone ever heard of one being exercised? 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #156: October 31, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
I suppose it has value if the player is risk averse.  It will not protect him from a bad season or two, because the team will not exercise its part, but it does protect the player from the risk of going on the market when he thinks he's played well and then miscalculating the market. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #157: October 31, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
i'm nervous about LaRoche, hopefully we get him signed.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #158: October 31, 2012, 10:03:36 PM »
i'm nervous about LaRoche, hopefully we get him signed.

:nervous: I'm going to be sad if he isn't signed on.

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
« Reply #159: October 31, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
I think the stats speak for themselves, LaRoche needs to stay.

When Morse hit a long ball it was a LONG BALL, but performance is what matters, not flash

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #160: October 31, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »
#SIGNADAM

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #161: November 01, 2012, 06:43:05 AM »
DJ said it was more important to have ALR return than him. That is all that needs to be said.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #162: November 01, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »
DJ said it was more important to have ALR return than him. That is all that needs to be said.

Source?

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #163: November 01, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
It was during a press conference. I remember hearing it, too.
Source?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #164: November 01, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »

This is a worthless statement.  The manager isn't going to say he is more important than the players.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #165: November 01, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
This is a worthless statement.  The manager isn't going to say he is more important than the players.

Not the good managers, anyways.

It was during a press conference. I remember hearing it, too.

Was just wondering! Something like that would definitely stick out.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #166: November 01, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »

I don't think it's a worthless statement. Just because the manager isn't going to say he is more important than a player doesn't mean that he is going to volunteer an opinion that  a player is more important than him. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #167: November 01, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
#SIGNADAM

This does kind of feel like the #SIGNDUNN experience. 

I've talked myself into being OK with a 3 year deal as just the cost of doing business, but honestly I wouldn't be upset at all if we just let him walk and signed an outfielder.

Can Bourn be signed for 4 years and $60 mil?  That would give us a great outfield defense to with an already very good infield defense.  Assuming, of course, Morse is as good at 1B next year as he was in 2011.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #168: November 01, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
This does kind of feel like the #SIGNDUNN experience. 

Except that Dunn wasn't settling for less than four years.  If he had been willing to settle for three, there might have been a deal (we'll never know).  And I think we are far better off with Laroche than Dunn.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #169: November 01, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »

No , he isn't going to say that. But to have a manager say a certain player is critical to the teams future success is. And that is what I interpreted it to mean.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170: November 01, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »
How realistic is it to think Skole could be up in 2014, when Morse's contract expires?  Potomac last year.  If that is the case, then maybe a lefty OF/ 1b with a contract that ends in year or two might be an alternative if ALR walks.

My first thought was Jason Kubel because AZ has the OF depth, but I can't see Rizzo wanting him every day in the OF.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #171: November 01, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
How realistic is it to think Skole could be up in 2014, when Morse's contract expires?  Potomac last year.  If that is the case, then maybe a lefty OF/ 1b with a contract that ends in year or two might be an alternative if ALR walks.

My first thought was Jason Kubel because AZ has the OF depth, but I can't see Rizzo wanting him every day in the OF.

David DeJesus from the Cubs?  He can lead off.  Cubs probably don't care about winning games right now and just want to accumulate prospects.

Or sign Victorino for 2 years and move him to a bench role if Goodwin is ready in 2014.

Both Moore and Skole are options down the road at 1B. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172: November 01, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »
I don't think we need to change our 1-2 combination.  Replacing ALR's power is more important in the batting order.  I'd almost rather go with a Shark (Brown) / Moore

<============

in left than mess with the order.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #173: November 01, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
As a leadoff hitter, Werth is preferable to Bourn, Victorino, and DeJesus.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #174: November 01, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
I don't think we need to change our 1-2 combination.  Replacing ALR's power is more important in the batting order.  I'd almost rather go with a Shark (Brown) / Moore

<============

in left than mess with the order.

I've thought about that as well.  If the Nats go crazy and don't re-sign LaRoche AND trade Morse, then I can see Brown in LF and Moore at 1st.  I don't think that is a recipe for success, nor is it a recipe for disaster either.