Author Topic: MLB's 2014 All-Prospect Team  (Read 2057 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
MLB's 2014 All-Prospect Team
« Topic Start: September 26, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
I didn't know where to put this since these guys are currently on the big league roster but...

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/96473094/mlbpipelinecoms-2014-all-prospect-team

Seeing two Nats make the team is good.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: MLB's 2014 All-Prospect Team
« Reply #1: September 26, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
And they probably aren't even our best prospects.

Offline sph274

« Reply #2: September 26, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »
what do we do with souza? we have to trade him this offseason i think, no spot available for him. probably get some value for him as well

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #3: September 26, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
what do we do with souza? we have to trade him this offseason i think, no spot available for him. probably get some value for him as well

I could see him going to Tampa as part of a package for Zobrist. Nats would have 1 year @ $7.5 million and then probably would give him a QO? Souza and Cole?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #4: September 26, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
Of course, Rays don't have to trade Zobrist, but then again I don't know where they expect to be on the win curve next year. That's a pretty stacked division right now and a bunch of their guys have taken a step back.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #5: September 26, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
From MLB's 2014 All-Prospect Team chat...

Mike (Rockford): Ben, I was a big fan of Jackson Reetz before the draft. Looks like he had a great first run at pro ball. Can he possibly be an everyday catcher in the big leagues?
Ben Badler: Yes. He’s a solid defender who gives you the chance for a good OBP for the position. He’s further along than Derek Norris was when they had him, both at the plate and on defense.

I think he'll be better than Norris and that's saying something.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: September 26, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
From MLB's 2014 All-Prospect Team chat...

Mike (Rockford): Ben, I was a big fan of Jackson Reetz before the draft. Looks like he had a great first run at pro ball. Can he possibly be an everyday catcher in the big leagues?
Ben Badler: Yes. He’s a solid defender who gives you the chance for a good OBP for the position. He’s further along than Derek Norris was when they had him, both at the plate and on defense.

I think he'll be better than Norris and that's saying something.

Perhaps people will spell his name correctly by then...  :roll:

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: September 26, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »

:thumbs:

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #8: September 26, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
Ha! Right! I didn't even notice the misspelled name. How you going to be a big fan of a player and not know how to spell his name.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #10: October 01, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Trade Taylor and play Souza at both corner OF spots and 1B at the AAA so that if Werth, Harper, or Zimmerman goes down with an injury we can call him up for major league at bats. After Span leaves in 2015 we can slide Souza into RF by moving Harper to CF and Werth to LF.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #11: October 01, 2014, 02:13:26 PM »
I could see him going to Tampa as part of a package for Zobrist. Nats would have 1 year @ $7.5 million and then probably would give him a QO? Souza and Cole?
Souza and Cole is too much to give up for only one year of Ben Zobrist. I am a big fan of Zobrist but he isn't the kind of guy that a team will sign and give up a first round pick for so in effect we would possibly have a Kendry Morales situation on our hands were we lose a bat, don't get the extra first rounder, and still lose two of our top 10 prospects.

If we are going to give up multiple top prospects in a trade it needs to be for either an elite talent or someone with more the more the 2-3 years of team control otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #12: October 01, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
Souza and Cole is too much to give up for only one year of Ben Zobrist. I am a big fan of Zobrist but he isn't the kind of guy that a team will sign and give up a first round pick for so in effect we would possibly have a Kendry Morales situation on our hands were we lose a bat, don't get the extra first rounder, and still lose two of our top 10 prospects.

If we are going to give up multiple top prospects in a trade it needs to be for either an elite talent or someone with more the more the 2-3 years of team control otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

If no one signs him to the qualifying offer it's almost certain he would be back with the Nats at the QO price, or face being out of baseball, losing several million dollars, and coming back mid-season in no shape to earn his next contract, which is what happened to Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales this year. I don't think you'll see many guys sitting out until mid-season from now on.

Ben Zobrist is coming off 4 straight seasons of 5.4 WAR or higher (so we can disagree over whether he's an "elite" talent), and is signed for 1 year @ $7.5 million. One season alone is worth probably $20+ million in excess value over his contract price. To that you add either a 1st/2nd round pick, or another year of Zobrist at $15 million or so, which is still a bargain. Either way, the total excess value Zobrist would provide, with a draft pick or a second year, would likely be $25-30 million. If you think Souza and Cole are worth more than that, that's okay. I disagree.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #13: October 01, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
I believe the latest research shows that a #50-100 type hitting prospect is worth maybe $10-12 million, and a top #50-100 type pitching prospect is worth maybe $8-10 million.

The value goes up exponentially as you move towards the top of a prospects list because more of those players become "star" type players, but while guys like Souza and Cole have value, we're not going to get Starlin Castro for them, or another good player with a bunch of team control years attached.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: October 02, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »
If no one signs him to the qualifying offer it's almost certain he would be back with the Nats at the QO price, or face being out of baseball, losing several million dollars, and coming back mid-season in no shape to earn his next contract, which is what happened to Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales this year. I don't think you'll see many guys sitting out until mid-season from now on.

Ben Zobrist is coming off 4 straight seasons of 5.4 WAR or higher (so we can disagree over whether he's an "elite" talent), and is signed for 1 year @ $7.5 million. One season alone is worth probably $20+ million in excess value over his contract price. To that you add either a 1st/2nd round pick, or another year of Zobrist at $15 million or so, which is still a bargain. Either way, the total excess value Zobrist would provide, with a draft pick or a second year, would likely be $25-30 million. If you think Souza and Cole are worth more than that, that's okay. I disagree.

Someone will give up a pick for Zobrist if he has a good year here.

I'd much rather see us package Cole with another pitcher (Taylor? Treinen) and other prospects and go get Starlin Castro. Would give us some serious leverage in dealing with Desmond.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: October 02, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
You're not giving up a pick unless your signing a player to a big deal (otherwise the value of the pick makes the signibgbcpunter productive) and at that point zoberist isn't getting a big enough deal to make losing a pick a non factor

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #16: October 02, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
You're not giving up a pick unless your signing a player to a big deal (otherwise the value of the pick makes the signibgbcpunter productive) and at that point zoberist isn't getting a big enough deal to make losing a pick a non factor

Then he signs here on year-to-year contracts at $15 million per, or we sign him to 2/$25 or something in the middle. But I doubt guys will be stupid enough to decline the QO and wait it out until mid-season like Morales and Drew this year. Those turned out to be monumentally stupid decisions that cost them money in 2014 and beyond.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: October 02, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
If Jakson Reetz ends up better than an MLB All-Star catcher, I'll be happy with that.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #18: October 02, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
and if he ends up with better than an Babe Ruth League pop time, I'll be happy with that.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #19: October 05, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
didn't know where to post so i'll post it here.  This is from a September 10th BA chat

STEVEN D-ESTERHAZY (SACRAMENTO): Who came in 2nd and 3rd in your POY ballot?
J.J. Cooper: This was probably the quickest POY meeting we’ve had in my time at BA (I’ve been around for the POY discussions from 2003-present). We had no dissenters. Every one agreed it was Bryant. If you are talking about other candidates, we thought Tyler Glasnow and Daniel Norris presented the best cases among the pitchers. Other hitting candidates included Michael Taylor, Joey Gallo and maybe a Steven Souza or Mookie Betts but we felt like Bryant was a pretty clear cut above everyone else this year.

that's 2 nats in the top 5 for POY