Author Topic: The future of our mid-level pitching propects.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
The future of our mid-level pitching propects.
« Topic Start: January 25, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
What is next for guys like Martin, Martis, Estrada, Mock, Detweiler, and Thompson? Which ones have any sort of future with the Nats?

Offline sportsfan882

Re: The future of our mid-level pitching propects.
« Reply #1: January 25, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
J.D. Martin has a chance to be a #5 starter this season but more likely a reliever.

Shairon Martis figures to start the season as a starter in AAA unless he really impresses in camp again. He turns 23 in March so he still has time to put it together. We will see him at some point this season. He has a chance to be a back end of the rotation starter or maybe a bullpen arm.

Marco Estrada has yet to impress in his brief Major League stints. I see him destined for AAA this season and beyond unless he makes a permanent switch to a bullpen role and does well there (i.e. Clippard).

Garrett Mock has shown flashes of being decent but he has also pitched very poorly at times. He has quality stuff but it is time for him to produce consistently. He failed as a reliever last year so he is either going to make the team as a #4-5 starter or start the year in AAA. We will see him at some point this year.

I am still pretty high on Detwiler. I think he can be a long-term #3 starter for this team. I liked how he ended last season and I think if he continues this success in ST he will make the ML rotation as a #4-5 starter. If not, he will start in Syracuse's rotation. We will see him at some point this season even if he starts the year in AAA.

Aaron Thompson was a 1st round pick and he'll turn just 23 in February. I would look for him to start the year in AAA as a starter and possibly see some big league action near the end of the season. I think he can be a #4-5 ML starter long term.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: January 25, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »
Detwiler is a lock (mind fact), and Balester (what was that Sportsfan said about age and 1st round picks. . . ) and Martin still intrigue me, stuff and control, respectively.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #3: January 25, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
Why the hell did the Marlins give up a near-majors pitching prospect (Who was a first round pick, no less!) for a few games of Nick freaking Johnson?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #4: January 26, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »
Detweiler likely still figures to pan out pretty well. I don't really consider him a mid-level prospect for us, as he is one of the higher-level ones we have. Martin can contribute, but seems like a back of the rotation guy. I still like Martis's potential. Mock is still intriguing, but he needs to do something this year to show he can step up to that next level and actually be consistent at the big-league level or be a career minor-leaguer with unrealized potential. So of that group, I'd see Detweiler as the closest to a lock to have a big-league career, Martin and Martis as the next tier, and Mock and Thompson as guys who need to prove they belong. As far as Estrada is concerned, I don't see him on that list. To me, he has always sucked, and I don't understand why he is still around as anything but minor-league fodder.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: January 26, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
Why the hell did the Marlins give up a near-majors pitching prospect (Who was a first round pick, no less!) for a few games of Nick freaking Johnson?

To contend for the wild card

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: January 26, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
I hope it works as well in reverse as Sizemore/Lee/Phillips for Colon worked.