Author Topic: Fan dies at Rangers-A's game tonight  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Fan dies at Rangers-A's game tonight
« Topic Start: July 07, 2011, 11:06:21 PM »
I know we just got destroyed, but something like this really puts how worked up we get over this in perspective.

I don't have an official link yet but I've seen it from some A's beatwriters on twitter. (I'm a baseball nerd and follow most beatwriters on twitter).

Didn't a fan fall from there last year too? Will post a link when it becomes available.

Offline kirubel94

Re: Fan dies at Rangers-A's game tonight
« Reply #1: July 07, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
I know we just got destroyed, but something like this really puts how worked up we get over this in perspective.

I don't have an official link yet but I've seen it from some A's beatwriters on twitter. (I'm a baseball nerd and follow most beatwriters on twitter).

Didn't a fan fall from there last year too? Will post a link when it becomes available.
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/foul_territory/2011/07/fan-dies-after-falling-from-left-field-seats.html

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2: July 07, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/mlb/rangers/070711-fan-falls-over-railing-at-rangers-game

Wow that is just a horrible story. A video of the accident is still up. I don't know how long it will be up, and I can't imagine how much this is going to tear up Josh Hamilton.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #3: July 07, 2011, 11:14:07 PM »
Wow his son was there to. This is awful.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #4: July 07, 2011, 11:16:01 PM »
Tragic. Puts things in perspective alright.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5: July 07, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
It's hard to believe honestly. What's crazy is if you watch the video they interviewed some people sitting around him and they seemed relieved because he was moving, etc. Wonder what happened?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: July 07, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
Oh my gosh, that's terrible.  And he was there with his kid...

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #7: July 07, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
Just feel Horrible for the kid, how sad he must be.

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #8: July 07, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
It kills me that some people sacrifice there safety for baseballs

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #9: July 07, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
This is really horrible.

I'm left wondering why the hell there was even room back there for the guy to fall?  That whole set-up seemed pointlessly dangerous, although I guess that's easy to say after the fact.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10: July 07, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
This is really horrible.

I'm left wondering why the hell there was even room back there for the guy to fall?  That whole set-up seemed pointlessly dangerous, although I guess that's easy to say after the fact.

A lot of stadiums are like that now. There's a an empty space between the wall, and where the stands begin. Turner Field in Atlanta is like that I know.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #11: July 07, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »
This is awful.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #12: July 08, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »
Terrible tragedy.  My thoughts and prayers are with Shannon Stone's family, particularly his son who witnessed it as I'm sure that is something that will haunt him for the rest of his life. :(

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: July 08, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
I feel terrible for the son of the man that fell, as well as the family... I also feel terrible for Hamilton.

I really hope a guy with his problems does not relapse because he blames himself for a man dying in an accident.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #14: July 08, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
I really hope a guy with his problems does not relapse because he blames himself for a man dying in an accident.

That's what one of my coworkers was talking about today. Not only is this a horrible thing for the family but it has the potential to do some damage to Hamilton himself.

Man, that kid must be traumatized. I don't blame him if he never watches/attends baseball again. :(

It's so sad.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: July 08, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »

This occurred to me also.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: July 09, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
On top of this, Hamilton hit someone with a foul yesterday that bloodied his face but is otherwise OK. 

This is so incredibly sad for the family.  The father had stopped off to pick up a new glove for the baseball game so that they could catch a ball.  The kid's favorite player was Hamilton, and they were enthused about sitting near him.  Apparently, the railings at the ballpark are above the the minimum height in the building code, so it isn't like there is a defective design. 

This is one of the reason I don't like drinking when I'm close to ball / bat territory.  My reactions are bad enough sober.  You try to let yourself be absorbed in a ballgame, but stadiums are risky places to be if you lose track of where you are.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #17: July 09, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »
Terribly sad, not sure what to say.  Poor child.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #18: July 09, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
I haven't seen the video and I'm certain I don't want to.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: July 10, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
It kills me that some people sacrifice there safety for baseballs

That's not funny.

How will that kid ever recover from watching that?  How will Hamilton ever be the same?  I can't imagine.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #20: July 10, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »
I was at a Q&A yesterday with some of the Nats Mgmnt and Bo Porter.  A fan asked in light of this tragedy should MLB make any new rule about throwing balls into the stands.   Btw, I disagreed with the question.  It was answered like this.  Not quotes but my understanding of their answers.

The players when it comes to throwing balls into the stands are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  If they do and someone gets hurt then the team is faulted for injuries.   If they don't; they are faulted for not being fan friendly.   Baseball is family entertainment and is wants to have a good relationship with its fans.

Then Bo Porter spoke.  He spoke of a time he was a coach with the Marlins.  Said once a Marlins player threw a ball into the lower seats.  A fan got hit in the face and us suing for injuries.   He made a rule for players to make eye contact with a fan and to toss it underhand.   Also never throw to the upper deck.  To the fans, if you want the possibility of a ball tossed to you buy a lower deck seat.