Author Topic: Nats DSL Overhaul  (Read 2585 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Nats DSL Overhaul
« Topic Start: February 08, 2011, 08:00:41 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020705551.html?hpid=artslot

Kilgore really did a fantastic job with this one. I want to see this kid who throws 94 on the big squad ASAP.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
Re: Nats DSL Overhaul
« Reply #1: February 08, 2011, 08:21:32 AM »
I know why MLB teams don't publicize it (odds are many of these guys never make the states let alone the majors) but

"The Nationals signed 32 players last year, mostly on signing bonuses of less than $10,000"

I'd love to know all of those names. I can probably cobble together 2/3 of them but given my predilection towards the developmental side of things, I'd find it fascinating

I am interested in seeing if the Nationals can establish an international pipeline that consistently produces guys who can become prospects

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: February 08, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
What a great read. I hope they get an air conditioner installed soon. Nice to see that the complete silence from the Nats DR complex was all about rebuilding from the ground up, forging connections, and clearing out all the old players in favor of kids. A 17-year-old who throws 94? Send him to Cuba so the Tommy John surgery is free ;)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #3: February 08, 2011, 08:35:37 AM »
Honesty, the radio silence seems like more of Rizzo's MO.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #4: February 08, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
Honesty, the radio silence seems like more of Rizzo's MO.

No, it's pretty standard across the industry. Aside from the big ticket players, the $10K guys typically won't get any attention until they show up in the US

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #5: February 08, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
No, it's pretty standard across the industry. Aside from the big ticket players, the $10K guys typically won't get any attention until they show up in the US

What about the few signings for 100k or so?

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #6: February 08, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
What about the few signings for 100k or so?

Even they get little spotlight unless people ask repeatedly (I have) and most of the time you get the scoutspeak answers (he's progressing; he's developing; etc)

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #7: February 08, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
more from Kilgore

They just signed two players for $130,000 and $150,000. The first, catcher Raudy Read, 17, is a player the Nationals think will have the bat to play every day. The second, outfielder Randy Novas, 16, is a purported five-tool player

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: February 08, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
more from Kilgore

They just signed two players for $130,000 and $150,000. The first, catcher Raudy Read, 17, is a player the Nationals think will have the bat to play every day. The second, outfielder Randy Novas, 16, is a purported five-tool player

Ever heard of either of these guys?

Also, and this is not to doubt their evaluations... but aren't most top of the line Dominican players signed for a lot more money than 100K?

Hope both are great additions to the Nats organization!

Edit: The story of Raudy Read is awesome. I'm rooting for the kid!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #9: February 08, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
Good to see the Nats making some progress down there, but they still have a long way to go.  I do not really mind if they do not go for any big money signings [at the moment], as long as they are signing a good amount of the 150k-500k level players.  I would also love for the team to beef up there scouting in the Pacific Rim, specifically HS players in Korea and Japan.  But one problem at a time I suppose...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: February 08, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
Thank god, of all the damage done by Bowben and co, destroying our presence in the DR may have been the worst

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: February 08, 2011, 11:17:34 AM »
Good to see the Nats making some progress down there, but they still have a long way to go.  I do not really mind if they do not go for any big money signings [at the moment], as long as they are signing a good amount of the 150k-500k level players.  I would also love for the team to beef up there scouting in the Pacific Rim, specifically HS players in Korea and Japan.  But one problem at a time I suppose...

Adding Pacific Rim talent would be a real boon to the organization.

I'm sure once the DR is up and running... that'll be the next thing to tackle.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #12: February 08, 2011, 11:40:43 AM »
Good to see the Nats making some progress down there, but they still have a long way to go.  I do not really mind if they do not go for any big money signings [at the moment], as long as they are signing a good amount of the 150k-500k level players.  I would also love for the team to beef up there scouting in the Pacific Rim, specifically HS players in Korea and Japan.  But one problem at a time I suppose...

I agree with the quantity vs. quality approach, as long as they don't skimp too much on the quality end.  I'd rather have 10 100k guys tahn 1 1 mil guy when it comes to 16 year old prospects from the DR.

They also need to get these types of operations going in Venezuela and Colombia.  Venezuela should be relatively easy since baseball is such a big deal down there and there are established leagues with whom we might develop some kind of a relationship.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #13: February 08, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »
Who cares about the NY Mets complex being so great. I wouldn't want my players relaxing, playing on the computer, living in a hotel style dorm. I want them to stay focused on baseball and nothing but baseball. For these kid to succeed in getting to America, they don't need any distractions.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #14: February 08, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Who cares about the NY Mets complex being so great. I wouldn't want my players relaxing, playing on the computer, living in a hotel style dorm. I want them to stay focused on baseball and nothing but baseball. For these kid to succeed in getting to America, they don't need any distractions.

At the same time... I'd imagine it creates a higher amount of flame outs once they hit state side because they'll finally have free time.

Maybe the Mets want to see how the kids deal with distractions before they make the big jump of bringing them state side.

Don't think either approach is wrong, just two schools of thought.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #15: February 08, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
the Nationals spent roughly $1 million on signing bonuses for prospects in Latin America last year, one of the smallest budgets in the majors. Teams at the top of the list spent upward of $14 million.

:popcorn: 8)

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #16: February 08, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »
I wonder if Eury Perez was a $10,000 signing.

« Reply #17: February 08, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Kilgore really did a fantastic job with this one.

Kilgore I think is really coming into his own. I really enjoy reading him as of late. Plus he probably has one of the best last names of any Nats beat writer.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #18: February 08, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
The more "Buscones" the Nats know, the better off we'll be.

Online blue911

« Reply #19: February 08, 2011, 12:20:41 PM »
DiPuglia's primary personnel achievement has been making the Nationals' Dominican talent pool younger. In 2009, the average age of the Nationals' Dominican Summer League team was roughly 20 1/2, which meant players who graduated to low Class A were almost uniformly older - and therefore less imbued with potential - than their opponents. The Nationals signed 32 players last year, mostly on signing bonuses of less than $10,000, and the average age of their DSL team dropped to 17 1/2.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: February 08, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »

Sounds a lot like the Nats plan in FA.

Sign a bunch of no names on the cheap and hope one or two stick!

Online blue911

« Reply #21: February 08, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »

Read's parents had raised him in a house with no floor.

I don't think many of these kids are going to complain about their living conditions.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #22: February 08, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
Sounds a lot like the Nats plan in FA.

Sign a bunch of no names on the cheap and hope one or two stick!

the plan

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #23: February 08, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
the plan

Until they establish a foothold... it's not a bad plan.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #24: February 08, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
It's great to see how things are going with someone who is at least competent running things.  Kudos on another solid hire Rizzo.