Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 98430 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #375: August 31, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
So does anyone have any good camping or cooking over the fire recipies? I'm going to be spending 3 days and 2 nights with just my gf and I camping in the great outdoors with only a tent. I'm a pretty big outdoors/wilderness guy but this is her first time so I want to make it as nice as possible. Hopefully the restrooms/showers are clean  :lol:

Ahead of time, make up some spaghetti sauce and just boil the pasta on-site.  Toasted baguette, candles and an Italian red and you're good to go.
I would not recommend the very similar but far more combustable chili, for such social situations.    :mg: Generally, though, things with sauces you can make ahead of time and pack frozen or in a cooler are a great staple of car camping (camping near your car).

If you have a grill, beef or other things that are okay to eat a bit raw are preferable to undercooked chicken.    :spaz:
If you have a large cast iron skillet (if you don't, get one), in the morning get some of those frozen shredded potatoes that have onion already in them, a bit of sausage, some eggs and cook it all together, then eat with tortillas.  Amish sausage and eggs if available.   :thumbs:

If you haven't practiced dutch oven cooking, now is not the time to start.  Some great recipies are available for dessert, like apple or peach cobbler, but you have to have the pot, then practice a recipe ahead of time.