Author Topic: Ballpark and area news  (Read 7835 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Ballpark and area news
« Reply #125: January 22, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
If the cesspool surrounding the Verizon Center is what we have to look forward to around the park I'm going to take my life coach's advice and start trolling on the Orioles board. 

have you ever been to the Marlins stadium?  All I remember is driving by run down houses with residents standing in front trying to get me to park on their lawn for $10.00

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #126: January 22, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
have you ever been to the Marlins stadium?  All I remember is driving by run down houses with residents standing in front trying to get me to park on their lawn for $10.00

I much prefer Wrigleyville or even Petco over the terrorist trap of Chinatown.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #127: January 22, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »
Life coach?  Baltimore??

Jesus you're some seriously damaged goods mate.

If the cesspool surrounding the Verizon Center is what we have to look forward to around the park I'm going to take my life coach's advice and start trolling on the Orioles board. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #128: January 23, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »
I bet you really look forward to your annual pilgrimage to The Cheesecake Factory too.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #129: January 23, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »

It's just going to be an overrated lot of Red Sox and other yuppie bars with doormen on them.

The solution: keep plenty of beer and spirits available at home for post-match - costs a lot less.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #130: January 23, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
It's just going to be an overrated lot of Red Sox and other yuppie bars with doormen on them.

Lovely. Would it really be too much to ask for them to get some small businesses in there to give it a real neighborhood flavor instead of cramming a bunch of midtown style chains and yuppie approved bougie bars and restaurants.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #131: January 23, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
Lovely. Would it really be too much to ask for them to get some small businesses in there to give it a real neighborhood flavor instead of cramming a bunch of midtown style chains and yuppie approved bougie bars and restaurants.

midtown style chains and yuppie approved bougie bars and restaurants can afford higher rents

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #132: January 23, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
midtown style chains and yuppie approved bougie bars and restaurants can afford higher rents

Yep, there are still a few low rent places in the nearby area, but I don't here about many fans hitting then up after games.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #133: January 23, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
Harry's :glug:

When I used to work at waterside mall, harry's had a racket where they would sell you a split roll and sell you a 1/4 of meat from the deli counter.  Maybe cheese by the slice, too, and they gave away mustardand mayo packs. You would assemble the sandwich itself, but it was taxed as groceries rather than as a prepared meal.  DC tax department finally caught on.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #134: January 23, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »
Harry's :glug:

When I used to work at waterside mall, harry's had a racket where they would sell you a split roll and sell you a 1/4 of meat from the deli counter.  Maybe cheese by the slice, too, and they gave away mustardand mayo packs. You would assemble the sandwich itself, but it was taxed as groceries rather than as a prepared meal.  DC tax department finally caught on.

Gave me flashbacks of Neem's (sp) Market in Georgetown in the 70's.       

• babble on
« Reply #135: January 23, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »
I don't go to Fuddruckers, but I love that it is there, along with the rest of those national chains.  All of the wailing and hand wringing about development driving out small businesses and indeed "character" itself (whetever the freak that is when one is talking about crappy bodegas and stores that sell thongs and sex toys, a la 7th street pre VC) is pretty much BS by non stakeholders. 

I guess some people prefer pawn shops, peep shows, and reach-around bath houses to Fuddruckers...fair enough, but there are plenty of those left next door to the crappy taverns and awful diners frequented by fat cromags in bowling shirts in those atmospheric neighbourhoods in "cities with character" (at least until everything gets abandoned and it all reverts to weed-choked urban wasteland). 

So bring on the chains, the more bougie the better...ka-ching!   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #136: January 23, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
Something more like Eastern Market would have benefits not matched by chains

I don't go to Fuddruckers, but I love that it is there, along with the rest of those national chains.  All of the wailing and hand wringing about development driving out small businesses and indeed "character" itself (whetever the freak that is when one is talking about crappy bodegas and stores that sell thongs and sex toys, a la 7th street pre VC) is pretty much BS by non stakeholders. 

I guess some people prefer pawn shops, peep shows, and reach-around bath houses to Fuddruckers...fair enough, but there are plenty of those left next door to the crappy taverns and awful diners frequented by fat cromags in bowling shirts in those atmospheric neighbourhoods in "cities with character" (at least until everything gets abandoned and it all reverts to weed-choked urban wasteland). 

So bring on the chains, the more bougie the better...ka-ching!   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: January 23, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

unless the city takes the land, good luck convincing property owners/developers

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #138: January 23, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »

most developers want established tenants, not mom/pop shops which have a much higher rate of failure.  We have a friend who tried to open a restaurant in a local strip mall that's about 60% occupied, they were told no because the realtor would rather keep the place empty then deal with the likelihood of failure of the establishment.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #139: January 23, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
most developers want established tenants, not mom/pop shops which have a much higher rate of failure.  We have a friend who tried to open a restaurant in a local strip mall that's about 60% occupied, they were told no because the realtor would rather keep the place empty then deal with the likelihood of failure of the establishment.

I don't know  how it works in commercial real estate, but if I don't think someone is going to be able to pay the full rent on their lease for the length of the lease, then I am not going to rent to them. Been there, done that. You have a choice at that point, you either take a loss and let the person out of the lease and then have to spend the time and money to get it back in rental shape, and risk it sitting empty for a period of time, or litigate, which means that you are spending money on a lawyer taking legal action to get money out of someone that's proven they already don't have money. So I kind of get it.

Online blue911

« Reply #140: January 23, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »

This especially in the area around the Park. National chains have the resources to underwrite a bad first year.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #141: January 23, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
What makes you think anyone will have a bad first year this coming season ?

This especially in the area around the Park. National chains have the resources to underwrite a bad first year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #142: January 23, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
What makes you think anyone will have a bad first year this coming season ?

Not very many permanent residents in the area, makes them a bit dependent on game day traffic. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #143: January 23, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
Justin's seams to have done ok - even through Nats poor performance years.

Not very many permanent residents in the area, makes them a bit dependent on game day traffic. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #144: January 23, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »

Many, if not most, new businesses fail.  Not only do the chains have deeper pockets to carry a loser for a while, they do a much better job of de-risking investments through their better skill at modeling demographics of areas and more disciplined financial modeling.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #145: January 23, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »
I much prefer Wrigleyville or even Petco over the terrorist trap of Chinatown.

Spoken by a donk who's never been to RFD.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #146: January 23, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »

probably cuz it is the only game in town down there and closer to the apartments than the ballpark

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #147: February 06, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
Meanwhile...Justin's has been buying a LOT of ad time on FM-106.7.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

• babble on
« Reply #149: October 23, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
A Wholefoods is going in @Navy Yard as well.  That could come in handy for tailgating.