Author Topic: Rotoworld on Burgess  (Read 2653 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Rotoworld on Burgess
« Topic Start: July 22, 2007, 11:20:02 AM »
Michael Burgess - OF Jul. 21 - 2:28 pm et

Michael Burgess went 3-for-4 with a homer, a triple and four walks in a doubleheader for the Rookie GCL Nationals on Friday.

Burgess, the 49th overall pick in the 2007 draft, is batting .364/.451/.636 in 44 at-bats. He's already one of the Nationals' best prospects, and it looks like he'll be ready for full-season ball as a 19-year-old next season.

Looks like it was a smart decision for this kid to take the $600k+ bonus and start playing rather than worry about applying to Junior College.

Re: Rotoworld on Burgess
« Reply #1: July 22, 2007, 11:25:27 AM »
This with Detwiler's performance makes NOTLD happy, joy-joy.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: July 22, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
wow - september callup? :)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: July 22, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
Oh stop it, none of the players drafted this year should be called up, not even during September call-ups. None of the players drafted should even be placed on the 40-man roster, never mind being called up this year.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #4: July 22, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »
Oh stop it, none of the players drafted this year should be called up, not even during September call-ups. None of the players drafted should even be placed on the 40-man roster, never mind being called up this year.

Yeah, these kids are years away. But it is good to see some actual highly-touted talent back in the mix at the low levels of the farm.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #5: July 22, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »
Very nice start for this kid. It's rare, however, for players to stay consistent w/ these types of numbers. If he does, though, who knows how quickly he could be movin' on up?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: July 22, 2007, 05:43:24 PM »
Yeah, these kids are years away. But it is good to see some actual highly-touted talent back in the mix at the low levels of the farm.

Very nice start for this kid. It's rare, however, for players to stay consistent w/ these types of numbers. If he does, though, who knows how quickly he could be movin' on up?

It's going to be FUN watching the guys in the minors for the next few years, and hopefully the Lerners, Kasten and Bowden (or whoever the GM is) makes sure they continue to be fun to watch.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: July 22, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
Bowden (or whoever the GM is)

Yeah, Bowden's starting to worry me. What has he really done that someone else couldn't have? The ONLY move where I thought he was absolutely right was in countering the Wily Mo for Cordero deal w/ Wily Mo AND Buckholtz for Cordero.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: July 22, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »
Yeah, Bowden's starting to worry me. What has he really done that someone else couldn't have? The ONLY move where I thought he was absolutely right was in countering the Wily Mo for Cordero deal w/ Wily Mo AND Buckholtz for Cordero.

He raped Seattle and he pillaged Cincinnati

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #9: July 22, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »

Ken, I'm just kidding. You should know I'm very against rushing prospects.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #10: July 22, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »

Yeah, really.  Maybe he was referring to this calendar year?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: July 22, 2007, 10:21:30 PM »
Yeah, really.  Maybe he was referring to this calendar year?

Sorry, guys. I had a moment of forgetfulness. All I could think of was the lack of Soriano trade and the feeling that nothing would happen this season. Those two deals (Seattle and Cincy) worked out, but I believe it was others shopping and us just dealing.  Who knows what we could have gotten for Vidro and Guillen before their slumps and injuries. Livan should have brought us more, though.

Overall, I still have faith in Bowden. I just REALLY hope he gets us something good for Dmitri.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: July 22, 2007, 10:41:44 PM »
Livan should have brought us more, though.

Jury's still out on the Livan trade, but at worst it looks like a wash, and at best it's another great deal by Bowden.  Chico is already performing at Livan's level, and he costs pennies on the dollar.  Mock may never work out, it's far from certain, but in two more years Chico will still be productive (and cheap) and Livan will be out of baseball.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: July 22, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »
Jury's still out on the Livan trade, but at worst it looks like a wash, and at best it's another great deal by Bowden.  Chico is already performing at Livan's level, and he costs pennies on the dollar.  Mock may never work out, it's far from certain, but in two more years Chico will still be productive (and cheap) and Livan will be out of baseball.

It's one thing to see how it works out randomly down the road. It's a whole other thing to look at the trade on the day of. Livan was someone that everyone knew could eat up innings and had been an ace for two or three different teams and had MANY major league innings under his belt. On the day of, he should have brought us more than just AA maybes, IMO. I really hope it works out in the long run, though.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: July 22, 2007, 10:49:33 PM »
Ken, I'm just kidding. You should know I'm very against rushing prospects.

I do? Gee, no one told me... Was there a memo?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: July 23, 2007, 12:22:29 AM »
Yeah. It's on your desk next to the memo about the new coversheets for the TPS reports.

Actually, I meant that I thought it was clear the sarcasm alert was on. :)

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #16: July 25, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
Im looking forward to seeing Burgess up in DC sometime in the next few years

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: July 31, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »
BP comments on Burgess, from 7/30:

Michael Burgess, OF, Rookie-Level GCL Nationals

Six months ago Burgess looked like a sure-fire top 10 pick in the draft, but while nobody debated his plus-plus raw power, his pure hitting skills came into question during his senior year of high school, as his swing has a hitch, and he had problems hitting anything but a fastball. Despite dropping to the 49th overall selection, Burgess is showing no such problems early in his pro career, going 4-for-5 with a pair of doubles on Saturday, then adding two more hits and another two-bagger on Sunday. He's now sitting at an impressive .348/.446/.609 in his first 20 games. He’s still definitely a high-risk/high-upside type of player, with equal chances of busting out and becoming one of the steals of the draft.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #18: July 31, 2007, 11:04:05 PM »
with equal chances of busting out and becoming one of the steals of the draft.

That's mostly all you can hope for from a high school pick.